FIFA World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Really want France to get a goal here to make the second half more intriguing. They've just looked awful and second rate so far.

Bevab

Staff Member
Griezmann looks absolutely gassed today. Him not clicking is the sole reason why France look so bad. Shows how good he has been this tournament really.
Post automatically merged:

I wouldn't have subbed off di Maria if he was still fit but this was such a magnificent performance from him nevertheless. Has always shown up on the biggest stage for Argentina. Kounde might make a Ramos like transition permanently to centre-back after being roasted like this today. :D

Bevab

Staff Member
France have finally made a goal attempt. This is not a drill!

Bevab

Staff Member
With just fifteen minutes to go this might be the worst performance I've ever seen from a team in the final. Even Germany in 2002 weren't this bad. :facepalm

Bevab

Staff Member
Finally! Please score this one and make the game interesting France.

Bevab

Staff Member

Bevab

Staff Member
In the span of just fifteen minutes this has gone from being the worst WC final to the best one in years. Sublime game!

Scaloni really needs to sub de Paul out and get in Paredes. Perhaps Lautaro for Alvarez too as despite the latter's good game he's running out of steam. France have Camavinga at left-back, three players who like playing on the flanks primarily and a striker who prefers drifting out wide too. A good manager should be able to exploit this lopsided shape with a couple of tweaks.

France... honestly I have no idea. They've caught a second wind here reminiscent of Real Madrid sides in Champions League and they should just keep pushing on in the same way as they'll always be conceding chances with the risky shape they have anyways and hope Lloris pulls out one off those blinders that he's capable of.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
In the span of just fifteen minutes this has gone from being the worst WC final to the best one in years. Sublime game!

Scaloni really needs to sub de Paul out and get in Paredes. Perhaps Lautaro for Alvarez too as despite the latter's good game he's running out of steam. France have Camavinga at left-back, three players who like playing on the flanks primarily and a striker who prefers drifting out wide too. A good manager should be able to exploit this lopsided shape with a couple of tweaks.

France... honestly I have no idea. They've caught a second wind here reminiscent of Real Madrid sides in Champions League and they should just keep pushing on in the same way as they'll always be conceding chances with the risky shape they have anyways and hope Lloris pulls out one off those blinders that he's capable of.
I kept reading France isn't attacking or showing intent inthe first 30 minutes, I thought it's by choice, they are letting Argentina run will and run out of energy.

Bevab

Staff Member
I kept reading France isn't attacking or showing intent inthe first 30 minutes, I thought it's by choice, they are letting Argentina run will and run out of energy.

I don’t really buy this. No team’s ever going to play as horribly that deliberately in all my years of watching football. It seemed like their players were genuinely tired due to that mystery illness. They were playing infinitely better once Griezmann was off and they had a fresh pair of legs in Coman and focused their play differently.

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
What a tweaking game.

Argentina in the end, absolutely brilliant. What a performance.

Bevab

Staff Member
The best World Cup final in ages! This is one for the classics and the incredible storyline it wrote was also enticing.

Argentina on the balance of play were the better side and deserved the win. The officiating felt decent to me, a bit too much on the lenient side for both sides but I suppose the ref was told to try and keep cards down to a minimum. The game was pretty scrappy but had enough moments of magic with some special players for a nice balance between quality and tension. Mbappe is an absolute champion of a player, to score a hat-trick in a final is a special achievement (second after Sir Geoff Hurst if I’m right) and he kept his side in the game despite their poor performance. France’s entire back four looked shaky and the midfielders looked tired. I’m puzzled as to why certain players started the game when they looked so far off the pace that it was obvious to the eye. Maybe if they were just brought on as subs France could have made a better game of it as the Argentine setup was asking to be overrun in midfield eventually and target a defence whose best player on paper is only Romero.

Really pleased for Messi in particular, if there’s one bloke out there who deserves this it is him and it‘s heartening to see him finally savour this moment after years of anguish. Scaloni deserves credit for taking control back in the last thirty minutes with some decent subs and tactical tweaks. MacAllister was superb throughout and so was de Paul and Alvarez till they ran out of steam.

Think Gvardiol and one of Livakovic/Bounou were robbed off the individual awards. Enzo wasn’t as great in the tournament and Dibu was never the best goalkeeper in the tournament, I thought even Lloris was better. On the other hand it’s tough to dispute Messi being the golden ball winner after that spectacularly consistent tournament, maybe Griezmann would feel hard done by but he was completely anonymous today.

A bit annoyed that the best WC in years has been in this controversial of a tournament off the pitch but the matches were really good and it did feel like players were genuinely in better shape compared to a summer WC because of the effect of fatigue on a tournament at the end of a traditional football season which led to better quality being shown on the pitch. There’s going to be a massive risk of fitness issues going forward in this season though and from what I’ve seen a lot of the European diaspora of club football fans have already forgotten about this tournament and have moved on to focusing on the regular season. I personally doubt this will be a particularly memorable tournament for most of them barring Morocco, Australia, Argentina and perhaps Croatia.

Users who are viewing this thread