Problem: Caught behind?

Potty01

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
So apart from the odd late-cut that goes to 5th slip, it seems impossible to get wickets (in career mode) caught behind. I know it's been mentioned before, but serious, this is just ridiculous. I've had a fair share of 'catches' from the ball apparently hitting the batsman and not being given out, when it actually comes off the glove and high on the bat.

I started watching replays of every such incident, and yesterday had a clear instance of a ball that supposedly hit the batsman and not given out (I did appeal, btw), but clearly hits the edge of the bat and caught in the slips. I should have taken screenshots!

Hopefully this will be fixed in upcoming patches... this and idiots who quit in Online matches!

So apart from the odd late-cut that goes to 5th slip, it seems impossible to get wickets (in career mode) caught behind. I know it's been mentioned before, but serious, this is just ridiculous. I've had a fair share of 'catches' from the ball apparently hitting the batsman and not being given out, when it actually comes off the glove and high on the bat.

I started watching replays of every such incident, and yesterday had a clear instance of a ball that supposedly hit the batsman and not given out (I did appeal, btw), but clearly hits the edge of the bat and caught in the slips. I should have taken screenshots!

Hopefully this will be fixed in upcoming patches... this and idiots who quit in Online matches!

I've got plenty of caught behinds in career mode. Out of ~95 FC first season wickets, is say 10-15 of them were caught behind. I find getting someone caught at slips is much rarer -- Dernbach just looks bored most of the time. Just for your information, my b bowler is right hand fast with a good length outswinger as the stock delivery.

Certainly possible as a spinner, albeit most of mine seem to be down legside..

I have no problem getting caught behinds.
Get around 1 every 2 games. Had 3 in a career mode BBL game earlier.

Its the slips that are a waste of time. Ive never had a slip catch since I purchased the game.

There are very few edges in the game. Something that impacts on batting as well, as with such a narrow timing window, playing outside off stump in a test match should be a very risky shot, yet it's one of my go to shots as you either middle it or miss it. If the edges are refined then I think batting in a test match could be the most rewarding experience in sports gaming.

I get quite a lot of caught behinds by the wicket keeper as a leg spinner. Bowling back of a length and cramping for room on the cut being a favourite.

most of mine as a spinner are cuts too, but in all honesty I think there's something wrong with the shot as I'm not actually sure they're edging it, more playing it right into the keepers hands.

you have to appeal edges, you never have to appeal the cut one (and it's arguably the least obvious)

one of my concerns is how many edges I miss due to no clues. the ball goes past the bat, you appeal, game slags you off so you stop. then once I was looking at a replay and I noticed it took and edge but I heard nothing so missed it.

the computer gets me out tons in career mode edging, it's my most common dismissal, so there isn't a problem with the mechanics, it's more the way the AI approaches shots or something. I get out because I push at balls (actually I have no idea what I've done wrong most of the time) but the AI swings madly and misses by miles.

had a few to gully as a spinner and a few more to silly point as a spinner but yeah, I've only ever seen one edge that a slip would have taken as my fast bowler. didn't have him in though.

most of mine as a spinner are cuts too, but in all honesty I think there's something wrong with the shot as I'm not actually sure they're edging it, more playing it right into the keepers hands.

you have to appeal edges, you never have to appeal the cut one (and it's arguably the least obvious)

one of my concerns is how many edges I miss due to no clues. the ball goes past the bat, you appeal, game slags you off so you stop. then once I was looking at a replay and I noticed it took and edge but I heard nothing so missed it.

the computer gets me out tons in career mode edging, it's my most common dismissal, so there isn't a problem with the mechanics, it's more the way the AI approaches shots or something. I get out because I push at balls (actually I have no idea what I've done wrong most of the time) but the AI swings madly and misses by miles.

had a few to gully as a spinner and a few more to silly point as a spinner but yeah, I've only ever seen one edge that a slip would have taken as my fast bowler. didn't have him in though.

For the edges off a pace bowler is fine but as you said that against spinners the cut shot caught behind LOOKS unrealistic for sure...

I don't think they're fine, they don't deviate enough, they always go to the keeper.

it's the crux of what's wrong with the field settings. bowling as a fast bowler you should have the dilema of putting in more slips or putting in run saving fielders because your slips should be your most attacking fielding position. useless at stopping runs but the most likely people to take catches. in the game however slips are completely unnecessary and you're far more likely to take catches with the guys surrounding the inner circle or them just going to the wicket keeper.

I find batting impossible but it's certainly not made any easier by the fact there are practically no gaps anywhere around the field and no slips, the pay off should be that when I edge it, which I do often, it should be going through the slip cordon for 4 fairly often.

I don't think they're fine, they don't deviate enough, they always go to the keeper.

it's the crux of what's wrong with the field settings. bowling as a fast bowler you should have the dilema of putting in more slips or putting in run saving fielders because your slips should be your most attacking fielding position. useless at stopping runs but the most likely people to take catches. in the game however slips are completely unnecessary and you're far more likely to take catches with the guys surrounding the inner circle or them just going to the wicket keeper.

I find batting impossible but it's certainly not made any easier by the fact there are practically no gaps anywhere around the field and no slips, the pay off should be that when I edge it, which I do often, it should be going through the slip cordon for 4 fairly often.

Yes I agree with you [I am a spinner in my career mode so dont know much about pace bowlers]...But I agree with the point that slip fielders are spectators on the field in the game...The ball swinging and getting something off the pitch are present but it doesnt feel like there something going to happen i.e Slip fielders might come into play as the beaten deliveries are fairly far from the the bat, its not like touch and go...

Which is very frustrating since the swing, seam, spin and drift are all excellently modelled, imo.

Yesterday I edged behind but to my delight (and surprise) the keeper didn't even get close to the edge and the ball ran away for 4 :) The animation of the keeper missing the edge as well looked really good.

Yesterday I edged behind but to my delight (and surprise) the keeper didn't even get close to the edge and the ball ran away for 4 :) The animation of the keeper missing the edge as well looked really good.

I've had a few inside edges that have gone wide of leg stump and the keeper dives but misses. Last night I had a rough patch in the pitch that was giving me awesome deviation with my medium pacer, got consecutive edges that just missed getting to the slips, and in the same innings had one cut back more than the others and clip the bails.. unfortunately I was given a spell the next over, but my grouping on that one over was all on that dusty patch.. so much fun aiming for it.

Users who are viewing this thread