Champions League Thread (the dawn of time - 2014)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
From what I know, aren't the Real owners basically the banks and the people in power in Spain? Which is why the club can have a massive debt, but never have to worry about it.

True, but spending all that money and getting knocked out at the first knockout stage has got to annoy anyone, no matter how much money they have...

In my opinion, that arrangement shouldn't be allowed, but that's Fifa for you. :sarcasm

PhilD123

International Coach
Edit: On a side note, what's the bet that our next away shirt will be green and gold? The money men must have cottoned on to the amount of Green/gold scarves that have been selling...
Hopefully it's already too associated with the protest for that. If it did happen though, anyone who bought one would be completely missing the point, a bit like people wearing the scarves at the moment over their replica shirts.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Just saw the replay of the Chelsea vs Inter game and I got to say that Zaneti and Maicon proved why they are the best at their positions in the world. Both men played amazing today.
Could have been a couple of penalties called in Chelsea favor but these days the refs never seem to call penalties from corners.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Thought Chelsea would come away with the win, especially seeing as Inter have been really really poor in the Serie A in their last 6 games.

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Very comprehensive win for Inter against Chelsea, though they do seem like a very hot and cold side they were the better the team in the match and Chelsea came off second best in the end. Inter's defence was brilliant and even when Chelsea did find their way through, they would be able to pull off a last ditch tackle. Eto'o was brilliant as usual and didn't have trouble finding the back of the net, and I thought Sneijder was impressive.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
I must say it was a very entertaining game. Always wanted Inter to win and they did so I am very happy. Inter won because of Wesley Sneijder. He was just amazing and it could have been easily 4-5 if Milito had stayed onside. But the Eto'o finish was just class, but he was not the same Eto'o as he was at Barca. Well deserved win for Jose and his Inter and loved his celebration when they scored.

Well Anchelotti was brought in to win the Champions League and Chelsea have been knocked out in first knock out round, will they sack him if he fails to win the Premier League?:p

themuel1

International Coach
I must say it was a very entertaining game. Always wanted Inter to win and they did so I am very happy. Inter won because of Wesley Sneijder. He was just amazing and it could have been easily 4-5 if Milito had stayed onside. But the Eto'o finish was just class, but he was not the same Eto'o as he was at Barca. Well deserved win for Jose and his Inter and loved his celebration when they scored.

Well Anchelotti was brought in to win the Champions League and Chelsea have been knocked out in first knock out round, will they sack him if he fails to win the Premier League?:p

Not really Anchelotti's team is it? I can see wholesale changes in the summer - especially in midfield.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I think Chelsea seriously missed the pace of Bosingwa & Cole on the flanks. Ivanovic & Zhirkov although where solid aren't the type of full-backs to blaze forward & get in consistent crosses.

Also Essien would have done a far better job than Mikel in potentially man-marking Sneijder too.

Auwais

International Coach
I think Chelsea seriously missed the pace of Bosingwa & Cole on the flanks. Ivanovic & Zhirkov although where solid aren't the type of full-backs to blaze forward & get in consistent crosses.

Also Essien would have done a far better job than Mikel in potentially man-marking Sneijder too.
Oh Zhirkov definitely is. But Inter had Pandev and Eto'o on the flanks to keep them busy and stop them bombing forward.

And Messi is a genius, if you didn't already know.

themuel1

International Coach
Oh Zhirkov definitely is. But Inter had Pandev and Eto'o on the flanks to keep them busy and stop them bombing forward.

And Messi is a genius, if you didn't already know.

He's one of the best in the world. Personally though, I'd take Rooney any day. Be interesting to see whether Messi would be as effective in a more physical league such as the Prem.

Auwais

International Coach
He's one of the best in the world. Personally though, I'd take Rooney any day. Be interesting to see whether Messi would be as effective in a more physical league such as the Prem.
Oh definitely, he gets the ████ kicked out him in La Liga.

Obviously Rooney suits us atm and Messi them.

I'd say Rooney still got some way to go before he can match Messi and Ronaldo's consistency.

In terms of fan enjoyment, he's definitely the best IMO to watch, just loves taking on defenders and threading those "eye of the needle" passes, as well as being clinical in front of goal whether long or short distance.

War

Chairman of Selectors

Yea good point. Its definately an issue for him i think remembering how teams with strong physical defenders basically shut him out of the game.

- Copa America Final 2007
- 2007/08 CL semi-final vs United
- 08/09 CL semi-final vs Chelsea

The standards of defenses in La Liga is pretty weak to be fair these days.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Spanish sides have never had good defences except the Valencia sides under Ranieri, Cuper and Benitez and the current Barca one.

Believe it or not but Messi needs Barcelona as much as they need him. The reason why he isn't able to emulate the same kind of form for Argentina is because instead of Xavi and Iniesta they have Mascherano or Veron.

Wayne Rooney has certainly upped his level this season, but I would certainly pick Messi ahead of him or any other player any day of the week. I said this about two seasons back as well when Ronaldo had that amazing season with Manure, that while Cristiano will be one of many great players of his era, Messi is going to become an all-time legend, in the same bracket as Maradona, Pele and Di Stefano.

As far as the Ballon D'or goes, I think World Cup performances will play a crucial part this time around and I think neither Argentina nor England will last the distance.

Last edited:

Auwais

International Coach
Spanish sides have never had good defences except the Valencia sides under Ranieri, Cuper and Benitez and the current Barca one.

Believe it or not but Messi needs Barcelona as much as they need him. The reason why he isn't able to emulate the same kind of form for Argentina is because instead of Xavi and Iniesta they have Mascherano or Veron.

Wayne Rooney has certainly upped his level this season, but I would certainly pick Messi ahead of him or any other player any day of the week. I said this about two seasons back when Ronaldo had that amazing season with Manure, that while Cristiano will be one of many great players of his era, Messi is going to become an all-time legend, in the same bracket as Maradona, Pele and Di Stefano.
He played well when Riquelme was in the side.

Maradona's clueless though and hasn't used him properly.

Users who are viewing this thread