CM 01-02: Cork City's Long Hard Struggle

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
April 2002 (2)
The bus waas silent on the way up to Bray, 3 points and we would be crowned league champions, anything else and we would be in despair. After the almost endless journey we finally made our way up to Bray, a small coastal dormatory town in Co. Wicklow, just south of Dublin. The rain was teeming down even though it was April. I wiped some of the condensation off the dressing room window, there was a crowd gathering, had it been at home we'd have a huge but the Carslile Grounds being the dump that it is there was only about 3,000 people at it. I say about 60/40 in favour of Bray. Wanderers were top of the table and we needed to beat them if we were to have any chance of winning the league. They were 3 points ahead but we had a far superior goal difference. Any sort of poxie goal would see us pick up the trophy, I didn't faulter from my 4-1-4-1 formation though and as I took my place on the dugout to a concotion of boo's and cheers I hoped to god it would work.

RT%C3%89_Sport_Logo.png

"Good afternoon and welcome to the final day of the 2001-02 League of Ireland season. I'm your host Con Murphy with Carslile and St Patrick's Athletic managers Roddy Collins and Pat Dolan. This match is the focus of the league, Bray, sitting pretty on the top of the table, 3 points ahead of title challengers Cork City. City, with a much better goal difference need to win today to secure their second league title. Bray have defied all expectations and with manager Pat Devlin have been taking the division by storm on what they hope will be their first Premier title. The first meeting of these two here in the Carlisle Grounds on the 14th of October was a highly entertaining contest with Wanderers ending out on top of a 3-2 win. In contrast the sides played out a 0-0 draw 3 months later. Since then City suffered heartbreak in losing out on the League Cup final to Drogheda on penalties and qualified for the FAI Cup final. Carslile manager Roddy Collins and St Patrick's Athletic manager Pat Dolan, how do you see this one playing out?"

RC: "Well I think it will be a good game, both sides have played well this season, pity Bohs aren't in it!"
PD: "I think this has the potential to be the best game in football history. You can take your Premiershit and shove it where the sun don't shine, this is real football!"

CM: "And who are the key men in today's contest?"

RC: "For me it has to be Davey Williamson, he's been brilliant all season and if it wasn't for Bohs' Dave Hill he'd be the player of the season"
PD: "I think Colin Terrific O'Brien has to be my man to watch, there's a reason he's called terrific, and I expect you'll see it!"

CM: "Thanks guys, we'll have the match live on rte after these messages!"
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CFhTuSgdtI[/flash]

CM: "Now to the showpiece, I hand you over to our commentators Damien Richardson, but first George Hamilton!"

GH: "Thanks Con, history will be made today as the winner of the League of Ireland Premier Division will be known at the end of this match. Cork City will be looking to add their second league title, their first since way back in 1993. How to you see this one going?"
DR: "Well Con, I think it's better for Cork City that they are facing the 3 point defecit. Cork teams in the past have needed some fire in their stomach to win and I think it will be an advantage for them. I have to go with a City win by the narrowest of margains"
GH: "Here are the teams, first Bray Wanderers"
BrayLineupFinalDay02Season.png

"And now Cork City"
CityLineupFinalDay02Season.png

7th Min: GH: "Neal Horgan with the throw in, Napier turns and gives it back to Horgan, Horgan runs down the wing and sends a dangerous cross innnnnn AND FLANAGAN SCORES!!!. Cork City are on course to win the league!"
DR: "A great goal, Horgan did well to get himself to the byline and once the cross was in all was needed was a slight touch into the net"

21st Min: "Throw in by Horgan, City scored from a similiar position, Colin O'Brien now, into the box, his namesake at the back post AND HE BUNDLES IT IN!!! 2-0 City now, Colin Patrick O'Brien gettting his name on the score sheet for the 14th time this season!"

28th Min: "Kelvin Flanagan now down on the right wing, he gives it to Colin O'Brien. He puts in a low ball to Anthony Tynan the youth, HE SHOOTS BUT A BRILLIANT SAVE FROM ALAN FLANAGAN"
DR: "Young Tynan had a cracking effort but look at the athleticism by Flanagan to get across and tip it around the post!! City all over Wanderers here now!"

31st Min: "Colin O'Brien down the right flank, gets to the edge of the box, chips it into the near post and there is Colin P, he rises and HEADS THE BALL INTO THE NET! What an amazing game here, Cork City 3-0 up now after a half an hour, O'Brien with his 15th of the season! Surely Bray can't come back from this"

45th Min: "Jason Byrne on the ball now for Bray Wanderers, he gives the ball to Donnellan, Donnelann passes it left to Phillip keogh who has a pop! But it's over the bar. And that signals the end of the first half, what an awesome performance from Cork City who lead 3-0!"

90th Min: "All the supporters are waiting for the inevitable pitch invasion, the city bench are up and the cacophony of whistles fills the crisp Wicklow air. Everyone is looking at referee Kevin Murray now, only the City fans are left in the stadium. AND THERE IT IS. Cork City are the 2001-02 League of Ireland champions! Manager Kevin Galvin sprints over to hug his captain Napier, Colin P O'Brien and Colin O'Brien are dancing around, this is truly magical stuff"

CM: "I have Cork City manager Kevin Galvin here now, what does it mean to you?"
KG: "Christ Con it's dohing amazing. I really didn't think we'd have the balls, it was a mankey first month but we showed serious balls and here we are! Bring on the Bohs!"
CM: "I'll leave you to celebrate, we apologize for the ahem, dressing room talk! Now to the celebrations"

Users who are viewing this thread