Codemasters shifts focus in favour of Racing

After recent successes with racing titles GRID and DiRT, as well as securing exclusive rights to develop Formula 1 games, industry website?GamesIndustry.biz has reported on a decision by Codemasters to shift the focus of their internal development studios in Warwickshire and Birmingham exclusively to racing video games, abandoning development of titles including shooter Operation Flashpoint.

Despite cancelling non-racing titles, the changes will see the creation of over a hundred jobs across their development sites over the coming year, a point of good news in an industry facing heavy job losses worldwide.

The forthcoming release of DiRT Showdown will be the first under a newly created Codemasters Racing label that all future racing titles will be released under.

What this decision means for Codemasters published titles not developed at their in house studios, such as the Trickstar Studios developed International Cricket series, is currently unknown, potentially leaving the cricket video games market without its only major publisher after EA Sports ceased releasing titles in 2006.

Thanks to forum member Sarvesh_aus for the tip.

Article by Matt Whitehorn - Read More...

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Very sad news for cricket gamers. Its officially end of line for us. Only Gambience to save us now ;).

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Kind of a blow to Cricket fans. When IC 2010 released they said they would be working on an all platform edition but now it's all gone with the wind..from the cars.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Meh, Codies are an abysmal studio anyway. I think their last properly good game was Micro Machines.

6ry4nj

International Coach
:lolTo me, "racing" means horse racing, so that's what I thought when I first read your thread title. Made me wonder about whether an FM-style owner/trainer game about horse-racing would be successful. Has it been done before?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well Wayne Rooney's just bought another race horse so you could incorporate it into a football sim as a side-game.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
it cant get any worse can it :facepalm

Elaborate please?

As at the moment I don't know whether you mean Codies can't get any worse, the news itself can't get any worse, cricket games can't get any worse, or those simulators :p

I'm thinking garbage disposal simulator could be a gem :p

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Selling yourself for money on steet corners at night?

Yes, yes it has.

@ Dutchad - Haha, that was the one I was looking for initally, couldn't remember what it was, just remember seeing some hilarious simulator game on sale in Game before Game went on sale :p

Users who are viewing this thread