Coming soon, computer for students @ Rs. 1500/- only

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I saw this posted elsewhere. Unfortunately, the price is subject to a manufacturer being able to make it at that price. I don't know if they have found the manufacturers to actually do that yet.

P

pcfan123

Why can't the government make it, its obviously going to subsidize the crap out of it and its not unusual for there to be nationalized firms in India

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Waiting to see reviews on the device. Hope the price stays there or goes down, and never goes up. Teaching will not be a problem, because in India, computer coaching centres can do that job. And also with this device, there can be people who can purchase these devices in bulk easily and distribute it to the poor and teach them on how to use it. They can go on a "Technology Social Awareness Program" where they distribute these computers and teach people.

Lots of things to be done there. Lets see how it goes.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Does it run windows or what? The cost of the OS alone is like, 10x the price of the machine :p.

Its cool but probably crap. No point in getting one for me.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
It's going to use a Linux-based OS.

It's not aimed at the Western population either, nor really anyone on this forum since we all have access to a normal computer. It is aimed at the middle and lower-middle class, I would suppose, as a machine that is this cheap would make it possible to invade the classroom without a huge cost.

However, there's still no one who is willing to manufacture it at that price.

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
sohum said:
It's not aimed at the Western population either, nor really anyone on this forum since we all have access to a normal computer. It is aimed at the middle and lower-middle class, I would suppose, as a machine that is this cheap would make it possible to invade the classroom without a huge cost.

Yep, it's directed at the not-so-fortunate section of the Indian society who still consider computers with internet/multimedia facilities an opulence. As for the manufacturer, let's see what happens. If this device really comes in use to those for whom it is meant, it will be brilliant.

King Cricket added 4 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

SaiSrini said:
Hope the price stays there or goes down, and never goes up.

Well, if I go by Sibbal, the prices might come down to only Rs 470 once the production/distribution starts. That's just great. :p

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I saw this news yesterday as well. And of course a lot of people will buy it. I am actually thinking also that some students will start some business by selling these tablets to non-Indian residents. But there could be restrictions like that one student can buy only one tablet.

I read also this in the article:

'Our ultimate objective would be to bring down the price to Rs 470.'

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Does it run windows or what? The cost of the OS alone is like, 10x the price of the machine :p.

Its cool but probably crap. No point in getting one for me.

Its not for people like us. Its for people who cant afford the kind of systems that we can.

SaiSrini added 2 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

It's going to use a Linux-based OS.

However, there's still no one who is willing to manufacture it at that price.

Even middle class can afford the regular computers. Its aimed more at the lower middle class and the people close to the poverty line.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
To me, it would just destroy the computer market in India, disturb its balance.
Every purchase would be compared to this device, and that to me isn't a healthy thing to do economically.
With incomes increasing by the day, and the computer industry getting extremely competitive as it is, this would just put everything out of place.

Instead of selling the computers at Rs 1500, they should rather focus on making people more educated to be able to use it.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
To me, it would just destroy the computer market in India, disturb its balance.
Every purchase would be compared to this device, and that to me isn't a healthy thing to do economically.
With incomes increasing by the day, and the computer industry getting extremely competitive as it is, this would just put everything out of place.

Instead of selling the computers at Rs 1500, they should rather focus on making people more educated to be able to use it.

Whats the use of the knowledge when they cant have access to a computer to use their acquired knowledge? They need the device to be able to use it. And with the computer prices being very high, they cant afford one.

I dont think it will destroy the computer market. The demand for the regular computers will still be the same. This one will be just like a smartphone with internet capabilities. People who can afford the regular computers will definitely want to go for them because the regular ones will be loaded with more features, more computing power, and added goodies. This device could bring down the prices of the regular computers by a little, but it wont destroy the market.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Do you see a "low-end" market anymore?

It won't affect the mid-to-high-end systems with graphics cards, ddr3 memories, and all, but have a look at the secondary/tertiary market.

Destroy was a harsh word to use, and "disturb" was more suitable, but just to get the message across, I decided to use it anyway.

Anyway, I don't condemn the fact that it is made for students, but before launching suck devices, which would suck out a lot of bandwidth from the internet backbone, I would have liked if internet was available free of cost, or at a very nominal rate, after improving the infrastructure that would be used to provide it.

It's almost like selling gaming consoles cheap, sometimes at a loss, just for the sale of the game titles that it would generate.
The device would cost Rs. 1500. A monthly internet connection for the "knowledge" to permeate would be a minimum of Rs. 200 per month, which could rise to as much as the cost of the computer itself for a month, depending on the usage.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Guys this device is not meant to replace your desktop or laptop. Its a device for students to help them in their studies and break the old methods of studying by using e-content. I cannot disclose much but you can get the idea of what I am talking if you know what SmatClass is.

omkarjere

International Cricketer
I suppose if this device is really selling @ 1500 then they should also include Indian language pack it will certainly help those people/students who have problems with English for e.g village people

tech.007

Club Cricketer
1.Most useless Product
2.Money Making Agenda
3.Instead of removing poverty in Country companies are increasing it.
4.Products like these are to fool people and money making..
5.Why would a person consider buying these products.
6.Why not lower the prices of advanced computers.

Users who are viewing this thread