Commonwealth Bank Series

Iron-Haggis said:
Vaughan is the most overrated captain on this forum. And I'm going to leave it at that.

Fantastic evidence, I'm 100% with you.

Sureshot said:
Fantastic evidence, I'm 100% with you.

With arguements like that, who wouldn't be!

I would like to say that Tits McGee is the most overrated batsman on this forum and I'm going to leave it at that.

:cool:

Hilfenhaus is a great outswing bowler. His dropped pace abit though, earlier in the season I saw him reaching the 140's. But yeah, he should also be good in the future when bowling to left-handers in the same vain as Hoggard has been doing to Hayden & Langer.

I certainly liked White's batting though, he doesn't seem like an out & out slogger and he can pace his One-Day innings if required. If Watson returns & plays in the middle order then we should be able to slot White down the order abit and replace Hogg with him and then divide 10 overs between him, Symonds & Clarke.

IloveGilly said:
Ridiculous? You do know that you actually need to play International Cricket to actually be considered in the squad? Making a debut in a World Cup isn't normal.

He's talking about the preliminary squad which is.

Ricky Ponting TAS 32
Adam Gilchrist WA 35
Andrew Symonds QLD 31
Brett Lee NSW 30
Glenn McGrath NSW 36
Michael Hussey WA 31
Michael Clarke NSW 25
Stuart Clark NSW 31
Brad Hogg WA 35
Shane Watson QLD 25
Simon Katich NSW 31
Brad Haddin NSW 29
Phil Jaques NSW 27
Mitchell Johnson QLD 25
Adam Voges WA 27
Marcus North WA 27

Daniel Cullen SA 22
Shaun Tait SA 23
Nathan Hauritz NSW 25
Shane Harwood VIC 32

Matthew Hayden QLD 35
James Hopes QLD 28
Nathan Bracken NSW 29
Andrew McDonald VIC 25
Brad Hodge VIC 32
Mark Cosgrove SA 22
Ben Hilfenhaus TAS 23
Travis Birt TAS 25
Shaun Marsh WA 23

Cameron White VIC 23

The bolded players haven't played ODI internationals.

9/30 is a fair amount.

The Mongrel said:
ODI internationals.

Just to point out that ODI being short for One Day Internationals doesn't need internationals after it ;)

Oops. I originally just wrote internationals and then said Harwood and Hilf weren't included because 2020 doesn't count, but when I changed it I forgot to get rid of internationals.

:o

The Mongrel said:
Oops. I originally just wrote internationals and then said Harwood and Hilf weren't included because 2020 doesn't count, but when I changed it I forgot to get rid of internationals.

:o

Hauritz has played ODI ;)
I can see quite a few of those guys you bolded getting a run this summer. Hauritz is the leading wicket taker in the FRC and usually is a good OD bowler, North and Voges will be fighting for a backup batsmen spot in the WC squad.
I would say our selectors will want to see what Hilfy can do, may give Harwood a try if the front line bowlers fail early on and Tait depends on his injury.

wfdu_ben91 said:
I certainly liked White's batting though, he doesn't seem like an out & out slogger and he can pace his One-Day innings if required. If Watson returns & plays in the middle order then we should be able to slot White down the order abit and replace Hogg with him and then divide 10 overs between him, Symonds & Clarke.

I don't know. I reckon White would be wasted at 8. And Hoggy is pretty good with the bat at 8 in any case. And having White as our main spinner just wouldn't have the penetration of Hoggy. 20 overs between Symonds, Watson, Clarke and White is asking for 120 runs if you ask me. They're OK I guess but I just don't trust any of them.

And before we start looking to bring others into the squad lets just see how our current guys go. I'm thinking Stuey Clark and Mitchell Johnson especially. Including Hilfy, we now have 6 quicks in the CBS squad and that would be the maximum number we take to the WC. Bring Watson back and that's probably your 15 man squad.

sifter132 said:
I don't know. I reckon White would be wasted at 8. And Hoggy is pretty good with the bat at 8 in any case. And having White as our main spinner just wouldn't have the penetration of Hoggy. 20 overs between Symonds, Watson, Clarke and White is asking for 120 runs if you ask me. They're OK I guess but I just don't trust any of them.

Definitely wasted at 8 plus him in as a bowler is a good sign for the opposition. Watson may well be slotted back up to open the inns if Hayden fails, if White fails then it's a simple case of Watson in for White although I don't really like Watson in the lower order. If both succeed Watson may find it hard getting back into the team.

Wow hear is some big news.

BRETT Lee's recent surge appears to have been stopped in its tracks by a chest infection, with the speedster set to miss Australia's first two games of the tri-nations one-day series.

Rising Tasmanian paceman Ben Hilfenhaus has been added to the squad as extra bowling cover and will fly to Melbourne this morning, having played for Tasmania in their Twenty20 match against NSW at Telstra Stadium last night.

Full article here

wfdu_ben91 said:
Why would you want to do that? Replace a great ODI bowler, for a guy who is going downhill with his bowling, an average part-timer, and a ordinary spinner?

I don't think replacing Hogg is a smart idea at all, then we are mainly set to pace attack and Hogg is an experienced spinner. And Clarke is not the type to bowl that often, especially if he doesn't work the ball much.

Ponting will consider White as a batter and if Watson returns, he's just going to have to hope that White isn't playing well or there's another spot open.

Well the make up of the current squad shows that they aren't going to play White below 7, as he is the 7th best batter - the other 7 in the squad are bowlers (Hogg and the 6 quicks).

If they call Watson up he'll probably just rotate in for one of the batsmen so they can get some rest too. The earliest I can see him coming into the team would be the 26th in Adelaide, if he plays for QLD in their Pura Cup game coming up.

Any thoughts on who could be the Jimmy Maher for this campaign? Jimmy Maher played one game as a keeper in the 2002/03 series so he could be the reserve batter/emergency keeper for the World Cup. Would Hussey be the emergency keeper? If so, they should give him a game with the gloves to get him in shape if he is needed.

Mike Hussey would be the best bloke at keeper, that way we don't have to bring in a totally new guy to waste one spot. Mid way through the tournament we should be able to try things so thats when Hussey can go keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread