Commonwealth Bank Series

Always hard to come back in circumstances like this. A few low scores and he will be under more pressure.

wfdu_ben91 said:
I'd say the Australian, Indian, Pakistani, South African & Sri Lankan ODI International teams at fullstrength are better then a fullstrength New Zealand side.
They are not the best team in Tests but a full strengh ODI New Zealand squad could put up a most worthy challenge against any of those teams, or unless its just they just step up a notch when they play the aussies cuz they give us big challenges

langerrox said:
so if vaughan comes back and fails, who are you going to blame?

funny how the same guy that won you in the ashes in 05 lost them for you in 06/07 :D

Is that Fletcher or Flintoff? :D

Vaughan might not do anything with the bat (though he looked ok today) but his captaincy will always be better than anyone else available.

Agreed, he could get some vaulable runs at the start then bell can play an openers innings but England need his captaincy if they are to win anygames this tour

Feelin Blue? said:
Agreed, he could get some vaulable runs at the start then bell can play an openers innings but England need his captaincy if they are to win anygames this tour
So Freddie Flintoff, one of the best performed players and the captain in the Test series is to be replaced. Gee, does this sound like an international team or the Wheelabarraback thirds? He made a couple of mistakes, sure, but in the great tradition of English cricket he needs to have his reputation and career ruined. You Poms annoy me 'cos you never recognise when you have a great team and cull out all the good young ones at their first failure. Take a word of advice. These guys could easily beat us on our home soil given a couple of years as a cohesive team. Get rid of the old f.... that have both no idea and also control the Board. Bring in some more modern senior management and refuse to allow them to continually chop and change winning combinations. :cheers

So, You would keep an ok nothing special captain jjst because he had done it in the test matches for argueably the second best captain the world. Fleming being First and Pointhing third, and I before I get absolutely flamed for saying Ponting is third, I'll justify myself, He's Not an amazing captain, he's a fairly good captain but he doesn't have to do anything extraordinary or exception because of the teams standard being so high.

[Prepares to be flamed/]

Davefryer - England have no intention of culling Flintoff, in fact quite the opposite. Making him captain quite clearly got in the way of his instinctive style of playing and as such it made more than enough sense to return the captaincy to Vaughan. More than a few of us thought he should never have been made captain in the first place. I've been barking on about it since the India tour almost 12 months ago as even then he showed signs of having no idea what to do with field placements. Yes he inspires people, but he can do that with his performances and doesn't need to be captain.

To be honest mate your post is just full of absolute rubbish, not really sure if you've watched any cricket in the last few months because under Flintoff we haven't actually won a series, and have only won 2 test matches out of 11!

davefryer said:
So Freddie Flintoff, one of the best performed players and the captain in the Test series is to be replaced. Gee, does this sound like an international team or the Wheelabarraback thirds? He made a couple of mistakes, sure, but in the great tradition of English cricket he needs to have his reputation and career ruined. You Poms annoy me 'cos you never recognise when you have a great team and cull out all the good young ones at their first failure. Take a word of advice. These guys could easily beat us on our home soil given a couple of years as a cohesive team. Get rid of the old f.... that have both no idea and also control the Board. Bring in some more modern senior management and refuse to allow them to continually chop and change winning combinations. :cheers

Vaughan was always going to comeback to being captain when fit.

Vaughan is up their with the best captain in the World so of course when he came back he would be made captain. Flintoff was too defensive during the Ashes, and thats the worst thing you could do in an ODI.

Just gonna repost what I wrote in the England in Australia thread (since thats gonna close) regarding Nixon:

Nixon looked pretty good for me. Admittedly the game was over when he batted at his best, but still he looked solid and played a couple of good shots. Now if he'd only stop reverse sweeping. He and Dalrymple wanted to play it every 2nd ball - ridiculous. Keeping looked good too, but yeah as someone mentioned - he takes the bails off ALL THE TIME.

For the future, see how Nixon looks against Lee, and if he plays him with some guts, leave him in the team. Read looks scared of Lee, jumping around and Lee got him cheaply twice in the tests. Plus Brad Hogg might be able to fox Read after Warney made Read look stupid in Melbourne. The only thing stopping Nixon playing is his age and with the WC only 3 months away, who cares? Surely he can last that long.

me too

like i said
having batty open will open up a space in the middle order
maybe owais shah
many ex-cricket players think of him as the best english odi batsman after kevin pieterson or maybe as good as him

at the moment englands middle order is too brittle

it would be interesting to see england face bangladesh tomorow

Can't see Batty being brought over unless there is injuries about. Nixon didn't look too bad in the 20/20, looks like a better option than Read with the bat, his keeping was alright.

Not to mention the immense level of experience and character he brings to side as well.

aussie1st said:
Can't see Batty being brought over unless there is injuries about. Nixon didn't look too bad in the 20/20, looks like a better option than Read with the bat, his keeping was alright.

You don't have to worry (like you will) about Nixons keeping abilities. I agree I think he batted well (though not hitting down the ground enough imo) today as did JD at times. We seriously have to stop playing the sweep so much and it's obvious who is implementing that.

Users who are viewing this thread