Commonwealth Bank Series

Definitely not the way to go by putting a batting all rounder at 8. That would weaken the bowling lineup, I would rather a longer tail then that plus there isn't much to worry about with our top 7 :)

MacGill is definitely the best of the attacking leggies we've got atm but hes already given up the FRC plus the selectors don't see him as a ODI player. I can see why though as he can go for a fair bit on his off day. Still wouldn't have minded seeing how he would go in the ODI arena for an extended period of time cause right now his ODI figures are awesome.

MacGill might be a defensive choice? Surely the selects can't think of playing 4 pacemen and 1-2 part-time spinners.

IloveGilly said:
MacGill might be a defensive choice? Surely the selects can't think of playing 4 pacemen and 1-2 part-time spinners.
They have for the first 4 games :p I'm glad Clark isn't in the side anymore, he is a poor ODI bowler IMO.

ARRR ODI tomorrow! I love watching ODIs! :D

Yea amazing how Clark couldn't hack the one day pressure, so it seemed. That just shows he's no Glen McGrath! Coz Glen bowls superbly in all formats of the game. I'll miss him after the World Cup. :(

You only need a good number 8 if you have concerns about five, six and seven. The top order must be relied upon to set a winning total, likewise, you have to pick at least half of your bowlers on the basis that they take wickets.

I don't see why we should have concerns. Everyone in our top 6 bar Gilchrist & Symonds (who've been averaging over 40 in the last few years anyway) have batting averages of 40 or over.

I like the longer batting lineup with White at 8, just incase of a batting collapse that happens every now and then. You can arse your way through bowling 50 overs by bowling part timers and fizz through some overs.

I would idealy have Watson at 7 and White at 8

Nah, Watson's a higher middle-order batsman & Clarke & Symonds can bat anywhere in ODI's. Bat Watson at 4 and shift Clarke down to 5.

symonds_sixes said:
I like the longer batting lineup with White at 8, just incase of a batting collapse that happens every now and then. You can arse your way through bowling 50 overs by bowling part timers and fizz through some overs.

I would idealy have Watson at 7 and White at 8
So you wont be able to arse 20 overs of cricket.

I don't see anything wrong with Hogg. he had a bad game recently, big deal. He's worth taking. Infact he's on this weeks cricket company (NZ cricket show).

Jacob Oram smashed 70* off 69 balls today in domestic cricket and finished with 2-44 from 9.3 overs. Unfortonatly his team lost the game, but his performance was top draw. Fantastic signs. Get that man over to Australia ;)

So no doubts over Oram, none over Styris, it's only Mills who may not go over, but I am sure he will. They don't really need to rush him over though.

Definitely, Symonds is an underrated bowler in ODIs, he bowls it straight and mostly full. The best combination for a part time spinner imo.

Not to mention that if the pitch is seaming he offers you a straight up seam bowler, and his quicker ball doesn't give batsman time to think as it comes out at 75-80mph.

Well if you played Watson & White then wouldn't the part-timers only need to bowl 10 overs?
The three frontliners bowl out there 10 & so does Watson and then you can spread 10 overs between Symonds, Clarke & White or even an over or two more if they are doing quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread