Commonwealth Bank Series

He is helped by the fact Jaques is also out of form. What Cosgrove has got on his side is he can bat anywhere really so he would be a much valuable member squad wise. Also his bowling looks to be handy.
Voges and White both should be in our CBS squad.

aussie1st said:
What we need down there is a finisher hence I mentioned White as I believe he can be our next Hussey/Bevan. Watson on the other hand is a guy that needs time to get in before launching so hes better suited at 4 or above.
White isnt a Hussey/Bevan type, he is just a good slogger at the end.

Aussie_Dan said:
Maybe a possible spot in the squad for Brad Hodge?
No way. Tried in the ODI's and not good enough. Would definately prefer to have a Voges/Cosgrove/Jaques in the team

aussie1st said:
Watson's way too low, you may as well just play White if you're going to put Watson down there.
So you're gonna have Clarke or Symonds or Hussey down there instead?

And what are you on about with White?

cricketmad09 said:
White isnt a Hussey/Bevan type, he is just a good slogger at the end.

So you're gonna have Clarke or Symonds or Hussey down there instead?

And what are you on about with White?

I've seen White rescue the Aus A side a few times hence the Hussey/Bevan comparison.

Watson is useless down the order see his performances he is NOT a slogger. He has always needed time to build his inns so him opening is his best spot.
Hussey is perfect at 6/7 to rescue the ship and if needed we can always promote him. Clarke is at 4 how much higher do you want him to go?
Symonds will be at 5 again how much higher do you want him to go?

I know he played a few years back as thats when I saw him play (Hopes was opening) and I'm sure hes played in our latest A games.

Australia shouldn't be looking towards the future. The World Cup is only a few months so we should be selecting the very best we have now! There is no use throwing a few 20 year olds in there for the sake of it and ruin our chances of winning this series and the World Cup just for the purpose of 'the future'.

I don't agree with Watson opening the batting earlier, his bound to fatigue in hot conditions especially if he bowls out his 10 overs and has to pad up and be in the middle 15 minutes later. I think I've seen him cramp up once & require a runner.

I also don't get why people bat Symonds infront of Clarke. Clarke will push singles/2's/3's around at a s/r of 80 odd while Symonds can let loose in the final 10.

Gilchrist
Hayden (Jaques as backup opener)
Ponting
Watson (Martyn type roll)
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey (Can slide up the order if required)
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

wfdu_ben91 said:
Australia shouldn't be looking towards the future. The World Cup is only a few months so we should be selecting the very best we have now! There is no use throwing a few 20 year olds in there for the sake of it and ruin our chances of winning this series and the World Cup just for the purpose of 'the future'.

I don't agree with Watson opening the batting earlier, his bound to fatigue in hot conditions especially if he bowls out his 10 overs and has to pad up and be in the middle 15 minutes later. I think I've seen him cramp up once & require a runner.

I also don't get why people bat Symonds infront of Clarke. Clarke will push singles/2's/3's around at a s/r of 80 odd while Symonds can let loose in the final 10.

Gilchrist
Hayden (Jaques as backup opener)
Ponting
Watson (Martyn type roll)
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey (Can slide up the order if required)
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Watson higher than Hussey? Swamp places, and its good.

Yeah but Hussey can play mutiple roles whereever he bats and does a damn fine job finishing up the innings while with Watson that isn't the case and he can bat to his ability in the top 4.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Yeah but Hussey can play mutiple roles whereever he bats and does a damn fine job finishing up the innings while with Watson that isn't the case and he can bat to his ability in the top 4.

Yeah, Watson has been shafted his whole ODI career with his batting. No wonder people think he's no good. It's no wonder when you stick the guy who is least suited to #7 at #7. I'm not sure how he'd go in the #4 spot, but it may be worth the experiment as it would give him time to settle and that's something Martyn benefited from. I guess it just depends who else the selectors would like to include. If it's Hayden/Jaques, then he may be shifted to 4 (or most likely 7, given his treatment in the past aarrrgh). But if they want Voges or White, he could stay as an opener.

Hussey gives them that flexibility, and I hope they float him a little bit more. If they lose 2 quick wickets, he can come in at 4 and play like an opener, blunting the bowling, but if they are flaying them up the top, he can come in at the 40 over mark and hit a quick 50.

You could also have Stuart Clark as a replacement for Bracken/Lee.

dtrain said:

Yea that might have been it, although I thought it was 50 over match. I found a few other A games where he did something similar.

wfdu_ben91 said:

That how our order is usually like, Symonds is 5 and Clarke is 6.

sifter132 said:
Yeah, Watson has been shafted his whole ODI career with his batting. No wonder people think he's no good. It's no wonder when you stick the guy who is least suited to #7 at #7. I'm not sure how he'd go in the #4 spot, but it may be worth the experiment as it would give him time to settle and that's something Martyn benefited from. I guess it just depends who else the selectors would like to include. If it's Hayden/Jaques, then he may be shifted to 4 (or most likely 7, given his treatment in the past aarrrgh). But if they want Voges or White, he could stay as an opener.

Hussey gives them that flexibility, and I hope they float him a little bit more. If they lose 2 quick wickets, he can come in at 4 and play like an opener, blunting the bowling, but if they are flaying them up the top, he can come in at the 40 over mark and hit a quick 50.

Watson usually bats 3-4 for Queensland so he can handle batting there find I would think.

Batting seems a bit fragile with the absence of Styris and Oram but a squad which I expected. Interested to see how Ross Taylor will play in the upcoming series, is certainly one great talent for the blackcaps. Craig McMillan back in the squad and hopefully he can redeem himself and perform much better on his return. Hope this team performs well especially the game at the SCG where I will attending the game :D

Users who are viewing this thread