Commonwealth Bank Series

Anderson took a good catch today and is a ery good fielder. Not sure Monty is quite ready for fielding in ODI's

Yea that catch to remove Gilly was decent. It appeared like he wouldn't catch it as he was too far in from the rope.

He looks like a natural sportsman too. When you look at Monty he just doesn't look athletic but he tries his hardest which is all you can ask. Anderson, although he carries a slim physique, is a very fit individual.

Haha that's quality, maybe they're hoping to surprise the opposition...

Buchanan: "Streuth, seems they've called up two all-rounders that have slipped under our radar."

.. and hehe nice one Matt ;)

Surprised none of the BBC bloggers picked that up (well only check the first page). Plus isn't Bopara meant to be an all rounder?

irottev said:
He hit 71 off 82 in yesturdays match. Got no wickets though and was pretty expensive, probably because of his 9th over which seemed to have gone for 15 odd runs.

I still rekon we should have had him over there while Oram and Styris were out. With Oram returning, I don't know if he would fit in anymore.

Good old Harry. He refuses to give up on the World Cup. He wants to play his 5th in a row.

I'd say he would fit in the team comfortably, he can replace McMillan, Oram replace Franklin and Styris if he returns can probably replace Fulton, seems a strong lineup to me with those 3 players in.

Simbazz said:
Ive lost all hope of a win over Australia now :( But i wouldnt say no to another win over New Zealand :p

Well England were a lot closer this time I guess, at the half way mark, I expected Australia to romp home with 20 overs to spare and 7-8 wickets in hand. It would of been even more closer if the umpire gave Hussey out, in fact I would actually back England to win because they still required 53 to win with only the tail remaining. I guess some days you give those out and some days you don't, maybe Strauss should take a leaf out of Hussey's book as yesterday again he was rather unlucky due to an excellent catch by Hodge.

aussie1st said:
Surprised none of the BBC bloggers picked that up (well only check the first page). Plus isn't Bopara meant to be an all rounder?

I think so :p or they're considering him a part-timer when he's not really.

irottev said:
He hit 71 off 82 in yesturdays match. Got no wickets though and was pretty expensive, probably because of his 9th over which seemed to have gone for 15 odd runs.

I still rekon we should have had him over there while Oram and Styris were out. With Oram returning, I don't know if he would fit in anymore.

Good old Harry. He refuses to give up on the World Cup. He wants to play his 5th in a row.
Considering the state of the team, he really should have been offered a spot. McMillan is in there, what's he been doing to deserve it?

As a six/seven/eight Harris was certainly capable (averaging over 30 from his ODI innings in those positions) and his tidy (and quirky) style of bowling makes up for any lack of batting average.

Must have had a good domestic season combined with Bracewell wanting a new McCullum down the order as McCullum himself is trying his hand at opening. Don't think we will be seeing too much more of McMillan once NZ are at full strength.

Is it just me or does McCullum need to get back down the order? He provides a lusty hitter when the ball is old, but when he has to deal with the new ball and the opening bowlers in their element he doesn't seem to have the ability to still score quickly and go on. Seems like he'll average around 15-25 odd opening, whilst he could easily be averaging 25-45 coming in down the order to finish innings off. They also are missing someone now at 6-8 who can scare teams. The likes of Fleming and Astle will score fairly quickly at the top of the order, so I wonder if perhaps changing McCullum has ruined the balance of the side slightly.

It definitely seems to have stuffed up there balance a bit. Especially with no Oram they lack the big hitter down the order (well McMillan is meant to be it) and he usually was good at steadying the ship and finishing off a run chase. That was why NZ loved to chase totals. Up the order NZ lose their finisher and they haven't been getting any runs out of him lately.

Agreed. I think we picked a bad time to move McCullum up. Now we have an unsettled top order, unsettled bottom order and the middle order crumbles.

I'd say it was just an experiment with McCullum opening, they hoped that he could get them off to a swift start like what Gilchrist does, but it has failed. I reckon tomorrow he will drop down and probably Fleming will open the batting. BTW Can Fulton open the batting?? He looks to have a pretty solid technique to me to open the batting.

Users who are viewing this thread