Commonwealth Bank Series

andrew_nixon said:
Not surprising considering there is no such thing as the UK national cricket team.
Oh yeah, I forgot that a large percentage of your players were not initially from England. I also did not realise that membership of theenglish cricket team was confined to english players. The M.C.C. will obviously have to change their name.

Simbazz said:
It will be a test of Australias strength in 11 months time to see how they fair without the experience of especially Warne and Mcgrath, but i think Langer will be more missed. Who would have thought the partnership between himself and Hayden would end but it has and Australia will need to find a very worthy replacement to have any chance

If it were me Chris Rogers, Phil Jaques, Michael Hussey or even long shot Adam Gilchrist as replacement opener (very unlikely but you know what selectors are like) if its one of the last two it leaves number 7 or the middle order open for either another batsman like Hodge or Thornley....or another allrounder like White or Watson, anyway Australia's hopes rest on its middle order of Ponting, Hussey, Clarke and Symonds as its future..and pace attack in Clark, Lee and whoever they choose to fill the void....MacGill is a top legspinner although he is 35

Gilchrist as opener is a very bad thing, if you look at his stats, he has played in every position between one and seven and by a million miles his scoring has been plain and simple amazing at 7. At opener i think he averaged somthing along the lines of 14 and at 7 he averages way over that

Speaking of Gilley, I love that he was Captain simply because he a wicketkeeper. In other words, I wish the wicketkeeper was always the Captain of a cricket team, at any level, because he is the centre piece in the field, and when he waves his hands with those big gloves, it's just an awsome sight. He is the main man out there! :D

Well Gilchrist basically has a batsmens view when keeping against the spinners so he can set the field well, even against the pace he is basically right behind the batsmen.

Simbazz said:
Gilchrist as opener is a very bad thing, if you look at his stats, he has played in every position between one and seven and by a million miles his scoring has been plain and simple amazing at 7. At opener i think he averaged somthing along the lines of 14 and at 7 he averages way over that
im not so sure, he averages about 34 in ODI's and generally openers average a good 10-20% more in tests...even at an average of around 42-43 and scoring at a 80 strike rate he will still be a handful and he could have opposition sides fighting for a draw by tea day 1, but in saying that he wouldnt be a long term option so i would prefer probably Rogers on current form

judging from what ive seen over the comm bank series so far, if loye continues his impressive start then ian bells position is under severe threat. bell looks to be a very promising test batsman with a great technique but he is way to slow and predictable when it comes to the one day arena. i would have vaughan, strauss, loye, kp, flintoff and then collingwood as my top and middle order.

unfortauntly sid is right, england just dont have enough quality players. im sure if they were given the opportunity players like jacques, haddin, thornly etc would be regular starters for england but we would only have KP and freddie

But Ponting has always viewed three mens opinions more than the rest. Firstly it has been said Warne was the man who pulled Pontings strings and he was useful but now gone :p, Same with Mcgrath!

But Gilly is the guy Ponting turned to to have a chat with, so its really a co-captainship between them so i think its a decent tactic by Cricket Australia :D

davefryer said:
Oh yeah, I forgot that a large percentage of your players were not initially from England. I also did not realise that membership of theenglish cricket team was confined to english players. The M.C.C. will obviously have to change their name.
You clearly haven't got my point. No one is saying that players in the England team are all from England.

What I (and a few others) are telling you is that the England cricket team is not a UK cricket team.

MWaugh said:
judging from what ive seen over the comm bank series so far, if loye continues his impressive start then ian bells position is under severe threat. bell looks to be a very promising test batsman with a great technique but he is way to slow and predictable when it comes to the one day arena. i would have vaughan, strauss, loye, kp, flintoff and then collingwood as my top and middle order.

unfortauntly sid is right, england just dont have enough quality players. im sure if they were given the opportunity players like jacques, haddin, thornly etc would be regular starters for england but we would only have KP and freddie

I think Australia wouldnt say no to Simon Jones :p

Well England have a very big county set up so you would imagine you would have to have some quality players coming through
Regarding Gilchrist he is effective as opener as he can get Australia off to a blazing start

andrew_nixon said:
You clearly haven't got my point. No one is saying that players in the England team are all from England.

What I (and a few others) are telling you is that the England cricket team is not a UK cricket team.

It is infact just an England and Welsh cricket team ;) And it is shown by the fact that we are run by the "England and Welsh," boards.

And the fact that our team has Geraint Jones, Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen is that they ARE infact English to some extent. In the case of KP his mother is England therefore he is English even if he is born in South Africa.

I forget? Isnt Andrew Symonds English then :p

Feelin Blue? said:
Well England have a very big county set up so you would imagine you would have to have some quality players coming through
Regarding Gilchrist he is effective as opener as he can get Australia off to a blazing start

In ODI only ;)

Poor Ed Joyce. Hasn't been impressive and hasn't been under fire for his batting. I'm hoping to see some more of him and possibly even something big to secure a place in the WC.

IloveGilly said:
Poor Ed Joyce. Hasn't been impressive and hasn't been under fire for his batting. I'm hoping to see some more of him and possibly even something big to secure a place in the WC.

You'll be waiting for ever mate :D He is well out of his depth in international cricket :(

Users who are viewing this thread