comparing the education system of india & usa

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I guess what you all are saying is right at the school level. There's a plethora of students to be taught and not enough qualified teachers to be everywhere. At the university level though, the scene is different. At least at mine it is. I'm sure all good universities in India follow the same practice as mine.

I know our education system kinda sucks, its definitely not the best, but its not as bad as you're making it sound...

I just completed my schooling this year and the teacher-student interaction was quite good. But I guess the scene is quite different in the government schools, I'm sure what you said applies to them even till date...

Yeah, we are talking more about the school level of our education vs that of the US. I kind of guessed that universities in India would have adopted to the kind of plaigiarism checking that people here in US do.

Did you study in a private school? I studied in a public (government) school in Chennai and they used the MHSS (Matriculation Higher Secondary System). Dont know how the teacher-student interaction is in CBSE schools. I always heard CBSE schools were more stricter in terms of quality and students who studied in those schools were a lot smarter. Maybe the teacher-student interaction there was different.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
As a kid i always used to wonder and criticize why people prefer studying and settling down in foreign countries. off late, am beginning to understand why.

forget the corruption or the extreme poverty and even the over-population.

the attitude and the mentality of the people here is really pitiful.
americans hate the french, we indians hate each other.

everything here is based on either culture, religion, caste or even worse..STATE. especially people of Tamil Nadu. they somehow have a strong hatred towards the north-indians, the hindi language and prefer calling themselves tamilians rather than indians.

especially after the Commonwealth Games fiasco, am actually ashamed to call myself indian.

coming back to the education system, its so narrow-minded and crappy...its appauling!! particularly with regards to arts and creativity.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
especially people of Tamil Nadu. they somehow have a strong hatred towards the north-indians, the hindi language and prefer calling themselves tamilians rather than indians.

Do you know it goes the other way too (ie. North Indians hating South Indians, especially Tamil people)? I have this feeling that even in this forum, some North Indians here have a certain bias against the South (dont want to name them; certainly not you JK). Check out Rediff.com's comments on articles where South cinema, South Indians are mentioned. There is this notion among North Indians that Hindi is our national language and that every Indian must learn Hindi. Why, even Mahatma Gandhi once asked some South Indian leader on why Tamilians dont converse in Hindi. Its not our national language. Its just a language used as the mode of language in the parliament, thats all. We dont have an official language for the nation of any sort. We dont want to learn English because we call it 'stranger lannguage'. We are so divided in terms of language. Ours is the best, English is not worth learning, etc.

Tamil people dont quite display their hatred openly about North Indians, whereas I have seen so many North Indians blatantly display their hatred over South Indians (in forums, communities, etc). Sorry for the topic veering to another direction.

americans hate the french, we indians hate each other

Quite true. The attitude is the one that has to be changed. Laziness and trying to get everything done through shortcut means is more rampant among our people. Thats why corruption in our country is a menace whereas its not as big a problem in other countries (especially America).

Last edited:

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Do you know it goes the other way too (ie. North Indians hating South Indians, especially Tamil people)? I have this feeling that even in this forum, some North Indians here have a certain bias against the South (dont want to name them; certainly not you JK). Check out Rediff.com's comments on articles where South cinema, South Indians are mentioned. There is this notion among North Indians that Hindi is our national language and that every Indian must learn Hindi. Why, even Mahatma Gandhi once asked some South Indian leader on why Tamilians dont converse in Hindi. Its not our national language. Its just a language used as the mode of language in the parliament, thats all. We dont have an official language for the nation of any sort. We dont want to learn English because we call it 'stranger lannguage'. We are so divided in terms of language. Ours is the best, English is not worth learning, etc.

Tamil people dont quite display their hatred openly about North Indians, whereas I have seen so many North Indians blatantly display their hatred over South Indians (in forums, communities, etc). Sorry for the topic veering to another direction.

the point here is sai, majority of the north indians hate only the tamilians / Tamil Nadu.
specifically because people here just arent ready to adjust with ANY other culture...forget hindi, TN people have a problem even with its neighbouring dravidian states.

in no other state have i had a problem of speaking hindi with locals.
the andhraites, kannadigas and malayalis may not be able to speak hindi fluently but they atleast understand it and are ready to adapt.

i know this first hand because i've interacted with hundreds of kannadigas and NONE had the attitude of fling hindi, fling north indians and fling other cultures. but when you enter TN, it is so blatantly evident, its not funny.

even my family members inspite of being IIT graduates and having Phds
show clear hatred towards the north indians.

and what is MOST irritating is that people here say they are doing this to protect tamil literature, history and culture. well, that is a good thing but how the fling do you explain when english literature is given more importance than tamil itself. i've seen beggars and autowalas conversing in decent enough english while their tamil is so UGLY and CRUDE!! :doh
so, what they are saying is....fearsome tweak the rest of india....."WHITE IS RIGHT" !!

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I dont see anything wrong there with our people conversing in decent English. When a North Indian comes to our state, he is the one who has to adapt to our culture, not the other way round. If he doesnt know Hindi, he can very well speak in English. You say the beggars and the autowallahs converse in decent English, why cant the North Indian converse with them in English? When a Tamil guy comes to the North, he cant say "Oh I will only talk in Tamil". He is not going to be understood by any. He has to speak in English. Even then, in the North, some people wont understand because they dont know English too. Its easier coming to Tamil Nadu and surviving with English (if you dont know Tamil) versus going to the North and surviving with English (if you dont know Hindi or their local language).

You can survive with Hindi in Hyderabad, Bangalore (maybe even Kerala) etc because they have given up their identity and merged with Hindi. But Tamils are proud of their language. Just because they speak English doesnt mean they are not proud of the language. Whats with this "THEIR TAMIL IS UGLY AND CRUDE"? Different parts of TN have different styles of Tamil speaking. Madras (Chennai) Tamil is far different from the Tamil that Brahmins speak. In Coimbatore, they speak in a different slang. In Madurai, its different. Dont understand whats ugly and crude about it?

P.s: JK, are you a Tamilian? You said your family has the hatred towards the North. I didnt know you are actually from the South.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
We both have completely different ways of thinking in this matter.
so, lets just agree to disagree.

and Yes, i am a tamilian and chennai is my native. Residing in chennai for the past 3 months trying to get into the tamil film industry. in all honestly, if it wasnt for my love of tamil films, i would've ran away a long time ago.

I just cannot come to terms with this city. not able to gel with it AT ALL.
and i have my reasons for it, but that'll require a different thread !

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
As a kid i always used to wonder and criticize why people prefer studying and settling down in foreign countries. off late, am beginning to understand why.

everything here is based on either culture, religion, caste or even worse..STATE. especially people of Tamil Nadu. they somehow have a strong hatred towards the north-indians, the hindi language and prefer calling themselves tamilians rather than indians.

especially after the Commonwealth Games fiasco, am actually ashamed to call myself indian.

coming back to the education system, its so narrow-minded and crappy...its appauling!! particularly with regards to arts and creativity.

LOL, do you know the abuse Tamilians get in Delhi? The number of times I've been called kala madrasi by someone who has darker skin than me (and doesn't even know me!) is unbelievable.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
LOL, do you know the abuse Tamilians get in Delhi? The number of times I've been called kala madrasi by someone who has darker skin than me (and doesn't even know me!) is unbelievable.

Fine. But this definitely highlights my point of 'indians hating each other'.

Mumbai is by far the best city that suits my personality, career and Temperament. Bangalore comes second.

Unfortunately, since am into films and media...chennai and mumbai are my only 2 options. and i'd pick mumbai at the drop of a hat.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Woah woah woah. Never knew this. So plagiarism is the norm in India? Doesn't that make the whole point of forming an opinion in an essay, pointless? That's a joke if awards from institutions there count for something globally if all that happens is people cheat to receive them.

I'm sure if it is an award or something it would actually be legitimate work. What I have noticed is that talented people are talented everywhere regardless of culture... so a good essay is good here and in India.

What i'm talking is about those petty assignments that I, as an American student, would spend 4-6 hours on while someone from India will happily turn in the Wikipedia page for it. :noway

Cricketman added 3 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

You have got to be kidding me. The amount of times I was called idly dosa or madrasi by Punjabi pricks here in brought up in the US is annoying. I'm not even tamilian. I'm a Chennaiite, both sides of my family have lived in Chennai for like 50 generations and we are proud to call it our home but my mom's side is Kannada and my dad's is Marathi. There is no Tamil in me at all for some reason yet still...

I think all of India bonds pretty well for the amount of diversity we have. There is alot of racism in the world in general when there are lots of different people and india is no different. Better than what i have seen and received in other parts of the world (*COUGH AUSTRALIA COUGH*)

Cricketman added 4 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

Sai I assume you took AP classes? AP level HighSchool courses in nice school districts are no joke. Especially the ones that require critical writing.

Holy crap, I am in 5 APs now and am up to my eyeballs in worke very day. I get home at 3:30-4 and am working non stop till 2AM everyday. Throw in an essay a day for college apps and i'm barely getting any sleep.

I hate when my cousins of friends in India complain or say the American system is easier. Sure I mean just because of the sheer population and nerdiness its got to be hard but this is much more difficult. There are SO many standardized tests that you have to nail, you HAVE to be good in sports, you HAVE to be in a gazillion clubs and be president of everything, you HAVE to maintain your GPA... its so much stress. I'm lucky to get 3 hours of sleep a night.

It actually gets easier in college. can't wait. sorry, got a little off topic but meh, i'm delaying writing this Molecular Orbitals theory some more :p

Gurjot95

National Board President
The main reason of copying work from internet is lack of knowledge. Many times we are given to write a essay of topic which we haven't study a word about it e.g I remember we were once given a work to write about any Shakespeare play. How the heck we are supposed to do when they haven't even teach us a single word about Shakespeare, leave his plays. Another reason is that the most of times teachers themselves says to take help from internet. What are students going to do when teachers itself wants children to copy :facepalm

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Seeking help from internet is something different and copying the stuff is different.

Bounce

County Cricketer
Same here..........
Even our teachers recommends us to seek Internet for the help
Sometimes, its not the teachers' fault.
It often happens that our education fails to include things which should have been there. They just put some crap stories in languages and poems picked up from random books.

For example, in Hindi textbooks only few of the well-known "Kabir's Dohe" are included. Teacher's want the students to know more about the great Kabir and so they give an essay on the greatness of Kabir. The students would surely not know anything about Kabir on reading the Dohas. That's the only reason the teacher asks them to refer the internet or other books to know more about them as knowing more about people like Kabir and writers like Premchand is important than reading poems like "Chidiya ka ghar", "Koyal aur Kawa", etc.

In short, most of the teachers never mean to simply copy the data, but to refer it. Remember, assignments are for enhancement of one's knowledge and reading is the best way to do that.

I gave an example of the Hindi language as this deals with India. :)

If an English teachers asks to write on William Shakespeare by referring the internet, there is nothing wrong in it. The assignments won't fetch you any marks, but by reading about Shakespeare on the net or in the library, it gives you great amount of knowledge regarding the foreign greats and that's what is need to stand anywhere on the international level. Such essays will never be asked in the exams. In the exams, they will ask topics about which the students are aware of, but for assignments, topics like "Shakespeare's plays", "Your takes on Hitler and his methods", etc become necessary. :)

Neo95

Club Cricketer
@Kshitiz- Are you studying at IIIT Delhi?.I have heard that it is a good university.

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Most students here don't have the eagerness to discover something or they aren't interested in studying anything more than the text book. Though some people have that thing in them, they are crushed by their family/parents who have high expectations from them. And high expectations here means becoming an engineer/doctor or getting a job with whopping salaries.

And yes, many teachers aren't interested in providing the students with something extra. I remember an incident in my class when I asked something of a little higher level related to, I guess Statistics. My teachers simply reacted - "This is not in your course ; it won't come in your exams. And you don't need to know this." All I thought was WTF man!
Such essays will never be asked in the exams. In the exams, they will ask topics about which the students are aware of, but for assignments, topics like "Shakespeare's plays", "Your takes on Hitler and his methods", etc become necessary.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. But the mentality of most Indian students is that that even for a single essay they would borrow the work from the another bright student who has done it. And keep in mind that bright has a very different meaning here i.e. one who scores good marks, not anything else.

People are crazy for luxuries and high paid jobs, that's why you'd notice that most Indian IIT graduates are CEOs, Presidents etc of some ABC organisations while the graduates of institutes like MIT are mostly high level engineers or researchers.

Users who are viewing this thread