comparing the education system of india & usa

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Corruption in India is in small places... like the police officer or school principle. In America it happens in broad daylight at the very top. Millions upon Millions of dollars worth.

P

pcfan123

We are just as corrupt as anyone else in the world. Only difference here is that once you get caught, its over.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Couldn't agree with you more. If you are corrupt here... AT THE VERY LEAST you will never get a job again and you will live a life of shame.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
A couple of articles with various topics related to this thread. I find the last topic pretty bad.

8 October 2010 Last updated at 11:10 GMT
India students suspended for rude Facebook messages
By Asit Jolly, Chandigarh

A leading school in India has suspended 16 students for posting rude remarks about a woman teacher on the popular social networking site, Facebook.

BBC News - India students suspended for rude Facebook messages

Page last updated at 09:07 GMT, Wednesday, 29 July 2009 10:07 UK
'Stunts' banned in India schools

Schools in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu are to be instructed not to stage events with "risky" stunts, an official told the BBC.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | 'Stunts' banned in India schools

Page last updated at 14:06 GMT, Friday, 17 April 2009 15:06 UK
Delhi girl 'left in sun to die'

A young Delhi girl has died in hospital after her teacher made her stand for hours in the sun, her family say.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Delhi girl 'left in sun to die'

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
:(
Most of our schools are so ████, they just want the students to soak himself into the textbooks and nothing else.

AkshayC

County Cricketer
Kids in India are pushed to study from the age of 3 and non-performers are treated as dolts and ostracized by parents and society. The preferred choice of learning and teaching is memorizing facts. These facts do help in the long run; the multiplication tables we learned in elementary school keep us ahead of our American peers who need a calculator to find out what 6 times 7 is ! However, the memorization approach to study does not allow and teach kids to think independently. The American school system lays stress on individual ability development and encourages kids to express themselves and their opinions from an early age. As a result, most Americans are way better at getting their point across as compared to people from other countries.However, again, the downside of this is that students in the US who are more out-spoken do well in class and outside class too only because they are more effective speakers. In the Indian system, individuals are not asked to stand up infront of the whole class and recite something. Instead, the whole class reads books out aloud together in unison.kids in India constantly wanted to know if what was being discussed would be on the quiz or the final. Almost no one in the class was attempting to understand concepts. They wanted to learn to solve all the kinds of problems that may appear in the quiz. the education in India (and Europe) is more towards teaching the basic concepts and a broader mass of information. The products of this education system, are therefore capable of taking up several different types of jobs and are not masters of any single job. To do any single job well, they have to go through some amount of training at work.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A couple of articles with various topics related to this thread. I find the last topic pretty bad.

8 October 2010 Last updated at 11:10 GMT
India students suspended for rude Facebook messages
By Asit Jolly, Chandigarh

A leading school in India has suspended 16 students for posting rude remarks about a woman teacher on the popular social networking site, Facebook.

BBC News - India students suspended for rude Facebook messages

Page last updated at 09:07 GMT, Wednesday, 29 July 2009 10:07 UK
'Stunts' banned in India schools

Schools in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu are to be instructed not to stage events with "risky" stunts, an official told the BBC.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | 'Stunts' banned in India schools

Page last updated at 14:06 GMT, Friday, 17 April 2009 15:06 UK
Delhi girl 'left in sun to die'

A young Delhi girl has died in hospital after her teacher made her stand for hours in the sun, her family say.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Delhi girl 'left in sun to die'

OMG!!! The martial arts news is just disgusting. There was a Tamil movie that came out where the hero did most of these stunts in the film (the hero's name is Vijay and he is a very popular name in Tamil cinema). I guess these kids are confident of doing it after seeing such films where these guys do it.

Suspended for posting rude msg's on FB? These kids and their parents should take up this issue further. The offended teacher should personally take it out with the kids and their parents. They have misused their power and have punished these kids for something thats personal between the kids and the teacher. BS!

In India, teachers treat students very badly. Physically hitting them is a common form of punishment (teachers bring wooden scales and wooden sticks to class to beat up kids who default in their work or who dont answer properly). Even parents should not beat up kids. WHO ARE THESE TEACHERS TO DO IT? Once I got hit by a teacher for talking to my fellow student while the teacher was saying something. You know what the teacher did? He just banged his left elbow onto my shoulder. I cried for about 10 mins after that (I was in my 10th grade)

When I was in 11th grade, one of my classmates got hit severely by our Computer Science teacher (she hit him hard on his knuckles with a wooden scale 5 times in a row) and being brave, he immediately stormed out of the class and went and reported to the principal. Sadly he couldnt achieve anything because in India, teachers hitting students is common and so the principal asked him "what wrong did he do?" and asked him to go back and work harder. :facepalm

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
These facts do help in the long run; the multiplication tables we learned in elementary school keep us ahead of our American peers who need a calculator to find out what 6 times 7 is !

I don't think the American peers use calculators to find 6 times 7.
In India, teachers treat students very badly. Physically hitting them is a common form of punishment (teachers bring wooden scales and wooden sticks to class to beat up kids who default in their work or who dont answer properly). Even parents should not beat up kids.

Indeed, it is more prevalent in the primary side of the schools in India. (Grade 1 to 5)
Students are literally harassed by the teachers, I remember when I was in VIth grade, I, along with several other students were hit and made to stand for at the most 1 hour, for what? Just because we talked for 5 minutes or so in the class.

Our teachers talk of discipline, but they don't know what actual discipline means (most of them).
IMO, some of the Indian teachers are the biggest hypocrites in the world.
Though in my school, we've been gifted with some really good teachers who just don't focus on rote learning and getting marks.

King Cricket

International Coach
akshaychauhan said:
In the Indian system, individuals are not asked to stand up infront of the whole class and recite something. Instead, the whole class reads books out aloud together in unison

Reading aloud? Where are you getting that from? In the Indian system, a student is only taught how to keep quiet and listen like a dumb and deaf person to the teacher ever since day one. The teacher reads out the lesson, pupils listen, and after finishing, he/she "marks" the important "questions" that will come in the exams, tells everyone to cram them, following it up with giving "notes" which the class has to copy and later mug up and vomit on the examination paper to score high. Student integration in a classroom and a healthy exchange of ideas between a student and a teacher is unheard of in this country.

I once asked my physics teacher a question having to do with total internal reflection of light while she was giving a "note" on the same topic, only to be scolded and hurled snide remarks at for "disturbing" the class.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Indian school system is largely based off the UK's.

It certainly hasn't been copied very well. Our system doesn't rely on being able to recite facts en masse in exams. You have to be more than a regurgitater of facts as you need to be able to show personality and have character about you to succeed.

You won't get close to a university without being able to show you've got something about you such as personal experiences (ie going on gap years, volunteer work...).

Pranav

ICC Board Member
Students are literally harassed by the teachers, I remember when I was in VIth grade, I, along with several other students were hit and made to stand for at the most 1 hour, for what? Just because we talked for 5 minutes or so in the class.

Though, I don't approve of the Indian Education System, but the type of school you go to does matter a lot! After having read the whole thread, I feel that some of the situations are hyped to a large extent. I mean, if that sort of a thing happened in the school I went to, that teacher would be expelled straight away!

I did my higher studies from a convent/christian school. And, I can proudly say that the teachers taught us the way we wanted. They taught us with passion and made sure we understood everything. We weren't merely taught for getting good grades. Also, participating in co-curricular activities was compulsory, rather you were even given grades for it.

I do agree that the level of education in the Indian masses is pretty poor. The main reason being poverty!

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Though, I don't approve of the Indian Education System, but the type of school you go to does matter a lot! After having read the whole thread, I feel that some of the situations are hyped to a large extent. I mean, if that sort of a thing happened in the school I went to, that teacher would be expelled straight away!

I did my higher studies from a convent/christian school. And, I can proudly say that the teachers taught us the way we wanted. They taught us with passion and made sure we understood everything. We weren't merely taught for getting good grades. Also, participating in co-curricular activities was compulsory, rather you were even given grades for it.

I do agree that the level of education in the Indian masses is pretty poor. The main reason being poverty!
This. Couldn't word it better. Now if only the government schools were brought upto the same level...

Users who are viewing this thread