comparing the education system of india & usa

AkshayC

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Exactly.

Some of the situations mentioned here are very rare. I haven't ever heard of the professors themselves distributing the question papers or not catching their students if and when they copy!

but every time perfect moment doesn't works

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Indian education system sucks. I can go on critisizing it but I know that I have to live with it.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
However, I will add that top Indian institutions are simply world class. I remember reading somewhere that IITs ranked in the top 100 tech schools in the world.

I love the IIT Guindy Campus in Chennai. So great, just like any big college in the states. Have also visited Ramachandra and Manipal which are both top universities as well as scenic.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Top 100 is good, but not great. IITs rank only within the Top 20 in Asia. HKUST, for example, ranked 20th World Wide and number 1 in Asia for Engineering and isn't all that hard to get into. University of Toronto is 8th world wide. UBC is like 26th.

There is something about IITs which Global Rankings don't like. They've got the facilities and good research programs and you are guaranteed a good job upon graduation. Plus I'm guessing they have some good teaching staff. It's possible they are lagging behind in diversity in students, internship programs, extra-curricular activities, teacher-to-student ratio, and their education may not be focused on learning with a global perspective.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
i dont know about other institutes in the Top 100 but most of the IITians
think they are "Gods Gift to Mankind".

King Cricket

International Coach
I ranted a lot with regards to our educational system in that thread started by User2010, so I'm gonna hold my tongue here. :p

Highlander999 said:
Woah woah woah. Never knew this. So plagiarism is the norm in India? Doesn't that make the whole point of forming an opinion in an essay, pointless? That's a joke if awards from institutions there count for something globally if all that happens is people cheat to receive them.

Not the norm, but people do it in huge numbers and they are seldom caught courtsey the lackadaisical attitude of our school authorities.

I don't know about higher educational institutions, but in our school, we were once told to prepare some project for EVS. I worked by butts off for three/four days, collected pictures from newspaper cuttings, took photos in my digicam, spent hours in libraries, only to go to school and discover that more than ninety percent of my mates have brazenly copied the ENTIRE textual part of the project from Wikipedia! Immediately brought it to the notice of our classteacher, and the school did take stringent action, but if this is what happens in a well-reputed school of a metro city, you can well imagine the situation in the rural areas and schools meant for the not-so-privileged class of the society.

King Cricket added 6 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

jkartik said:
the attitude and the mentality of the people here is really pitiful.
americans hate the french, we indians hate each other.

I live half a continent away from Tamil Nadu, so I don't know much about this divisive atmosphere that permeates your state. But I really do feel that all Indians are not of this type, at least in my city they aren't. I haven't heard of any Indian being abused like the way you mentioned by his fellow countrymen in Kolkata or for that matter other parts of Bengal. Sure, there are trouble makers, but for every rogue we have in this country, there is also a APJ Abdul Kalam or Amartya Sen, and that IMO is what makes India special.
I'm not ashamed to call myself an Indian even after the CWG scam, because I believe that it's my country, and if things are not going right here, it's my duty to fix them.

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I worked by butts off for three/four days, collected pictures from newspaper cuttings, took photos in my digicam, spent hours in libraries, only to go to school and discover that more than ninety percent of my mates have brazenly copied the ENTIRE textual part of the project from Wikipedia! Immediately brought it to the notice of our classteacher, and the school did take stringent action,

Lol though I do all the project work/research myself, if I would ever tell the class teacher of mine that the other students have just copied it from the net/ or copied from the others, she won't even give me an ear. And on the top of it, I would be scornfully taunted by almost all my classmates, they hate it when somebody tells them to do a thing the right way.:facepalm
You are a lucky one to study in a school so nice.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not ashamed to call myself an Indian even after the CWG scam, because I believe that it's my country, and if things are not going right here, it's my duty to fix them.

it was more of a frustration due to the rampant corruption scenario in india.

one of my friend is a civil engineer in sydney. people there are making snide remarks like "please dont collapse our buildings" and are a bit wary of taking him in important projects.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Well yeah, it's Australia. You are going to get crap there no matter what.

@IIT - a bunch of my dad's friends chose the IIT route and they are all super successful now. Either they are big businessmen in India (some of them have a net worth of over USD $100 Million!) or are senior VPs or something in Fortune 500 companies here in the US. My mom's cousin did IIT and then MBA from Harvard and is SUPER DUPER rich. He has his own investment banking company in DC or something.

If you come out top in India, then you are going to be successful. As bad as the Indian education system may be, it still does produce some very, very qualified and intelligent people who are now world leaders in their respective fields.

Last edited:

King Cricket

International Coach
jkartik said:
it was more of a frustration due to the rampant corruption scenario in india.

When a baby first learns how to walk, his legs tremble and he falls to the ground more often than not. But when this same toddler grows up, he becomes a Usain Bolt, or a Roger Federar or someone big.
India too, in a similar fashion, is slowly learning how to stand on its own feet and emerge as a power to reckon with in 21st century. No wonder we are meeting with impediments and hindrances in the way of our progress. I too am equally disappointed with the corruption scandals surrounding CWG, but now is not the time to lose hope. It's the time to stand by and support our nation as it strives to surmount challenges and usher in a new golden age.

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I had come across an article in The Times of India which was about the corruption.
What it stated was - "There is no use blaming the politicians or officials for the corruption, to curb it we should look from where it is coming, if we reflect upon our daily routines then we will observe only one thing, the source of this corruption is - we. It's the common people who pay the Traffic policeman Rs.100 to let them go. It's the common people who don't honestly pay their taxes, it's the common people responsible for the telecom scams. We've created that spiral of corruption."
I totally agree with KC, this is our country and we have to be responsible for everything. There's no use blaming the politicians and officials when we too indulge in the same practices.

AkshayC

County Cricketer
I wont to know Why corruption prevails in India only why not in USA or in any other developed countries?

King Cricket

International Coach
^ That's a rubbish assumption. Corruption prevails more or less in all countries, not just India. If you take a quick glance at Transparency International's 'Corruption Perception Index', you'll see that India is there at the 84th or 85th position out of the 160 or so countries surveyed. While that's still pretty bad going by global standards, our score is actually much better than that of Russia, Argentina, Thailand, Mexico, all our neighbours from Pakistan to Sri Lanka, and just behind that of Brazil, China, Greece, Serbia, etc.

USA too, despite having an enviable score which better than that of India by a mile, occupies the 19th spot. So, apparently, going by the list, USA is 'more corrupt' than 18 other nations of the world.

Not posting this to exonerate our political class, it's not the intention at all. Just that I'm tired of stereotypes like what has been posted above about India.

varun_rustugi said:
I had come across an article in The Times of India which was about the corruption.
What it stated was - "There is no use blaming the politicians or officials for the corruption, to curb it we should look from where it is coming, if we reflect upon our daily routines then we will observe only one thing, the source of this corruption is - we. It's the common people who pay the Traffic policeman Rs.100 to let them go. It's the common people who don't honestly pay their taxes, it's the common people responsible for the telecom scams. We've created that spiral of corruption."

True. Some might say that literacy can be a solution to our woes, but when you come across rich, degree holding people of our aristocratic class paying bribes to policemen after having been caught breaking traffic rules, your views are bound to change. Its we who encourage corruption, politicians only take advantage of it. The status quo isn't gonna change unless and until we have our young generation with a clear conscience coming forward and joining politics. We've had enough grey-haired folks running the country, now the baton needs to be passed to the youth.

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I wont to know Why corruption prevails in India only why not in USA or in any other developed countries?

As KC says, corruption is also there in the US. Its not as if USA is 100% corruption free. But in the US, the corruption is more so only at the top most level (probably among executives, etc). Being among the common man here in the US, you get the feeling as if this country is corrupt free and thats why when Indians come here and see the change, they get so envious about the system and want India to be like this.

I believe its got to do with the character of the people. And character can be defined through education. We are only slowly improving on the education front. More people in our country need to be educated and it will reflect in the way we behave in the future. I believe we are definitely changing for the better as I speak. But as always, we are slow at everything.

Users who are viewing this thread