Cricket 19 General Discussion

Astronot_Yet

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
My suggestion would be turn off the ball marker (the red/green/yellow/blue) circle around the ball. Just go with the pitch marker (I'd suggest the black colour not the colour coded option) Reasoning being:

I noticed in DBC 17 I wasn't doing anything other than reacting to the colour. Red - back foot, everything else - front foot. It is, in my opinion, a button prompt and completely removes the skill of judging length, which is a key part of batting. Fine if you're a casual player but I like to have a more in depth experience. And, like you say, it can lead to you not always playing the shots you think you should. That can still happen without the ball marker of course but it feels like a mistake by you not a mistake based on your reaction to a guide given by the game. You're more likely to learn from that mistake too.

You have to actually work out how the ball is bouncing off the pitch. This is more cricketing skill than being able to react to the colour of a circle. There is a lot more variation on certain pitches and you will, as a batsman does IRL, work out when to play off the front and back foot.

Personally, I like having as little clutter on the screen as possible - same reason I'd like to have the bowling hud disappear after I've selected my delivery. It's far more enjoyable to bowl when you are doing the footwork and release based on the bowler movement not on the position of a meter.

You might consider changing the leave button, I've always liked it as R3. My thumb is always on there so it is easier and quicker to play a leave than moving to another button.

It might take a bit of getting used to, maybe have a go in the practice mode, but it's such a better game without the ball marker.

Damn that's exactly what I've been doing. Back foot if I see Red(and 99% of the time I just leave or duck), frontfoot if it's anything else.

Hiding the ball marker is a very good suggestion. Do you also hide the pitch marker? Do we have enough time to judge the line AND the length and also press the right combinations in time?

Thank you so much for the advice. Definitely going to try playing without the ball marker now.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Damn that's exactly what I've been doing. Back foot if I see Red(and 99% of the time I just leave or duck), frontfoot if it's anything else.

Hiding the ball marker is a very good suggestion. Do you also hide the pitch marker? Do we have enough time to judge the line AND the length and also press the right combinations in time?

Thank you so much for the advice. Definitely going to try playing without the ball marker now.
I've tried without the pitch marker but, for me, it becomes too much like guesswork. Particularly against fast bowling. I'm sure others might play without it but it's a bit too much for me. The pitch marker gives you line and length which I think you need.

I have found myself playing what would be yellow balls off the back foot at times (hard pitches) and on softer pitches what would be red balls on the front foot. It really makes the batting experience more engaging without the ball marker.

bptuner

School Cricketer
I've tried without the pitch marker but, for me, it becomes too much like guesswork. Particularly against fast bowling. I'm sure others might play without it but it's a bit too much for me. The pitch marker gives you line and length which I think you need.

I have found myself playing what would be yellow balls off the back foot at times (hard pitches) and on softer pitches what would be red balls on the front foot. It really makes the batting experience more engaging without the ball marker.
Its little things like this, turning off bail trail, etc. that make the game that little bit more immersive. Less interface makes it so much more natural and you enjoy it a lot more. Try playing on Pro Mode camera with all the visual indicators turned off and tell me its not the best emulation of being in a batsman's shoes on game-day.

If you like the idea of bowling without having to use the overlay, increase the timing sliders for the perfect delivery window during the run-up phase for a bit of lee way since its a bit difficult to judge by the run up animation alone. The release is easy to go by the animation so you don't need to tinker with that. Since I did this as well as turned off the running HUD, bowling has become very immersive. (it was always good but now its even better!)

Haven't had a chance to bat yet but I'm keen to try it with some more settings turned off, like the color around the ball you mentioned earlier, to see if that improves the experience too. I think I tried this at one point to try and make the ball easier to see (that colour ring makes it seem like a beachball is being bowled to you) but I didn't have pitch marker on so I reverted.

I also recommend creating or downloading some umpires and making their LBW judgement lower and increase/decrease appropriately the sliders for batsman using reviews for lbws; creates a lot more dynamic moments in the game. Its not really rewarding to play with the edge settings since you can always clearly hear the knock on the bat and the umpire *always* gives out actual edges that were caught regardless of judgement.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Its little things like this, turning off bail trail, etc. that make the game that little bit more immersive. Less interface makes it so much more natural and you enjoy it a lot more. Try playing on Pro Mode camera with all the visual indicators turned off and tell me its not the best emulation of being in a batsman's shoes on game-day.

If you like the idea of bowling without having to use the overlay, increase the timing sliders for the perfect delivery window during the run-up phase for a bit of lee way since its a bit difficult to judge by the run up animation alone. The release is easy to go by the animation so you don't need to tinker with that. Since I did this as well as turned off the running HUD, bowling has become very immersive. (it was always good but now its even better!)

Haven't had a chance to bat yet but I'm keen to try it with some more settings turned off, like the color around the ball you mentioned earlier, to see if that improves the experience too. I think I tried this at one point to try and make the ball easier to see (that colour ring makes it seem like a beachball is being bowled to you) but I didn't have pitch marker on so I reverted.

I also recommend creating or downloading some umpires and making their LBW judgement lower and increase/decrease appropriately the sliders for batsman using reviews for lbws; creates a lot more dynamic moments in the game. Its not really rewarding to play with the edge settings since you can always clearly hear the knock on the bat and the umpire *always* gives out actual edges that were caught regardless of judgement.
I do think having Pro Mode is good but I've never really liked it when I've tried it. I'm used to having a freer movement from first person shooters so this feels a bit restrictive.

I have the bowling hud on but I don't look at it. I use the jump and arm position of the bowlers to prompt my trigger movements. Original reason was I want to look at the game not a couple of meters going up and down. But with the different bowling actions it adds more variety. It's not always so metronomic. There are subtle differences that can make it easier or more difficult when using different bowlers. The other big thing is the margin for error is increased so you don't always bowl perfect/perfect deliveries.

bptuner

School Cricketer
I do think having Pro Mode is good but I've never really liked it when I've tried it. I'm used to having a freer movement from first person shooters so this feels a bit restrictive.

I have the bowling hud on but I don't look at it. I use the jump and arm position of the bowlers to prompt my trigger movements. Original reason was I want to look at the game not a couple of meters going up and down. But with the different bowling actions it adds more variety. It's not always so metronomic. There are subtle differences that can make it easier or more difficult when using different bowlers. The other big thing is the margin for error is increased so you don't always bowl perfect/perfect deliveries.
I feel ya with the margin of error but sometimes its really hard to take that wicket, even when your bowling perfect/perfect every ball. By the same token, you could just reduce the size of the windows so even if you do look at timing bars, you have less chance of a perfect/perfect.

D

Dutch

I love pro mode batting....all the hud and the score and the radar turned off....just me and Pat Cummins ugly grin coming towards me!

sdt16

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
maybe have a go in the practice mode,
Absolutely agree with @wasteyouryouth regarding the ball marker and pitch marker

Same for me..DBC 14 and 17 was with ball marker since there was no pitch marker...

Ashes 17 introduced pitch marker which was absolutely welcome.
The appearance of the marker on the pitch would be directly correlated with the batting difficulty (earlier/later at lower/high difficulties)

It gives a real simulation & immersive experience like in real life while batting, you have a split second to decide footwork shot direction & finally time the ball well...

I enjoy it till date...It definitely needs few games to get used to but its definitely rewarding & satisfying...

In regards to practice mode (which I have liked a lot since DBC 14 days) its ironical that there are some bugs which take away the utility and fun from playing in there...

1st mainly being the absence of the pitch marker despite being enabled in the settings...(it was missing, reported several times in Ashes too but somehow never appeared in the priority list of @BigAntStudios ) making the beautiful nets & ground training modes unplayable for players who play with only the pitch marker on, especially in careeer mode where nets/ ground training modes have potential to give "ability points".

I then turn the ball marker ON but since it is the way I play, it feels way different and eventually after trying for few deliveries I have to quit and continue with the career matches waiting for the long road to unlock "ability points"...

There are few other bugs too in there but not that significant as above to prevent playability...

Have reported it in the bug thread this time as well and also raised a ticket on BA support(to which there was like an automated response)

I hope it may not be that complex to fix it, "in addition to" the more prior & important bugs that "may be" fixed in the upcoming patch(es)

Hope they fix it to make the practice mode playable for those who play "ONLY with pitch marker on"

Sorry & thanx for reading the long post (not a critique of them at all, who have set new benchmarks for cricket games with every release)...

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My suggestion would be turn off the ball marker (the red/green/yellow/blue) circle around the ball. Just go with the pitch marker (I'd suggest the black colour not the colour coded option) Reasoning being:

I noticed in DBC 17 I wasn't doing anything other than reacting to the colour. Red - back foot, everything else - front foot. It is, in my opinion, a button prompt and completely removes the skill of judging length, which is a key part of batting. Fine if you're a casual player but I like to have a more in depth experience. And, like you say, it can lead to you not always playing the shots you think you should. That can still happen without the ball marker of course but it feels like a mistake by you not a mistake based on your reaction to a guide given by the game. You're more likely to learn from that mistake too.

You have to actually work out how the ball is bouncing off the pitch. This is more cricketing skill than being able to react to the colour of a circle. There is a lot more variation on certain pitches and you will, as a batsman does IRL, work out when to play off the front and back foot.

Personally, I like having as little clutter on the screen as possible - same reason I'd like to have the bowling hud disappear after I've selected my delivery. It's far more enjoyable to bowl when you are doing the footwork and release based on the bowler movement not on the position of a meter.

You might consider changing the leave button, I've always liked it as R3. My thumb is always on there so it is easier and quicker to play a leave than moving to another button.

It might take a bit of getting used to, maybe have a go in the practice mode, but it's such a better game without the ball marker.
I am going to give this a shot, as I soon as I start playing the game again after my flu is gone.[DOUBLEPOST=1568625933][/DOUBLEPOST]
I love pro mode batting....all the hud and the score and the radar turned off....just me and Pat Cummins ugly grin coming towards me!
I love pro mode too. Always feels like I am actually facing the bowler. Plus, playing a spinner is a little more challenging. Though I'll probably try @wasteyouryouth suggestion of switching off the ball marker. @Dutch do you turn off both pitch and ball marker in Pro Mode?

D

Dutch

@Dutch do you turn off both pitch and ball marker in Pro Mode?

I have the black pitch marker on but not the length or line marker. Spin bowling is a real challenge in the game as are fast yorkers as you cant see under your nose as it were. In the idal world the camera angle would pan downwards with the ball imo.....

A little taste of my efforts against spin.......

20190916130334_1.jpg

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
As has been said before, things are being worked on still but there is no indication of a timeframe when things might be released.
don't know if you tester have been given the flick or what there has been updates in the depot just not the testing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread