Cricket 19 General Discussion

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Game companies have the tendency to base new iterations on shiny bits and “new innovations”, whilst just deepening what there is doesn’t always look good on the box.

as has already been said hopefully ba take a rest from cricket, do other stuff and come back and give depth to what there is: if fielding can get a major major overhaul then that would be more than enough for me even if they left everything else exactly as it is.
I think with AO Tennis2, they might be going that way. Also, given that the next Ashes is 2021-22, we still have time for their next iteration. Though I don't think they'll skip a chance to release a new iteration every Ashes. Unless, they can get a World Cup license! Which is difficult. Hope someday BCCI, ECB and CA can come together and give their licenses. BCCI is going to take years.

D

Dutch

As the dust settles on this patch,Is there likely to be future updates for Cricket 19? Are we seeing the builds on steam still getting an update?
I imagine that as we draw to the end of 2019 that we are now seeing the very end phase of work on this game. For better or for worse, depending on your outlook and I personally feel for the better seeing the games I am having, this is the game as it will probably be for the foreseeable future, probably until and if a new iteration comes along.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
It was done to balance things out.. The fielders were doing things they werent supposed to do.. So in order to make things possible like takes and hitting stumps at a possible speed of return it was a decision taken for that and I respect it.. You dont want the flat throw and the bowler unable to grab it or leave it on return which would make it worse..

I will be honest I wasnt happy when the build we got at that time was with such throws as I really liked the fast throws but the issues surrounding it made it look weird.. So its something I am ok with now as its complete which is far better than being abrupt..

Also, we all wanted AI to run more then why fuss about it now.. In online people are gonna press run and sprint button with all their bodily strength regardless of how the throws are gonna be so, its all good in the end..
This is literally what my thoughts on the throwing were. The throwing we have now is quite balanced, run outs still happen good amount of times. I don't think anyone wanted to see all Batsmen being run out.[DOUBLEPOST=1575620295][/DOUBLEPOST]
I imagine that as we draw to the end of 2019 that we are now seeing the very end phase of work on this game.
From Jan 2020, they'll be a lot more focused on AO Tennis 2. Rightly So! Also they'll have a lot more feedback on that, as Tennis is more global than Cricket.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
It was done to balance things out.. The fielders were doing things they werent supposed to do.. So in order to make things possible like takes and hitting stumps at a possible speed of return it was a decision taken for that and I respect it.. You dont want the flat throw and the bowler unable to grab it or leave it on return which would make it worse..

I will be honest I wasnt happy when the build we got at that time was with such throws as I really liked the fast throws but the issues surrounding it made it look weird.. So its something I am ok with now as its complete which is far better than being abrupt..

Also, we all wanted AI to run more then why fuss about it now.. In online people are gonna press run and sprint button with all their bodily strength regardless of how the throws are gonna be so, its all good in the end..

The problem of the loopy throws and slightly retarded fielders , rears its head in the shorter formats, which we play online Leagues on, either Pro20 or ODI`s.

The way they are set up now, you can effectively take a run to the inner fielders each time, without them being able to throw a direct hit to stop it, rendering it a very frustrating affair to field now.

The speed that the Throwing meter fills up has also been nerfed, which means inner ring runs galore in Online Pro20 mode.

Other than the Throwing debacle , the keeper seems to have also been dumbed down a bit , so now we have a ball lying dead 5 meters from Gully short 3rd man region, which the fielder is just standing still and waiting for the keeper to run to the ball to get it after the keeper first fell down, resulting in the batsman running 2 runs.

Very frustrating to say the least.

Other changes made so far seems to be a very good additions, fine tuning of existing stuff, well done.

My feelings is the game is now more suited to the longer formats , where sluggish fielding is sort of not that big a deal.

D

Dutch

My feelings is the game is now more suited to the longer formats , where sluggish fielding is sort of not that big a deal.
I think this is a fair comment: I think the most frustration people are having is with shorter forms of the game where those things are much more match determining than in multi day games.

The game needs three different iterations to do all formats justice really!

hammadahmed88

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I think this has veered a bit. That was not my intention, truly. I love that there is a cricket game, and that we have this product. Sometimes it just gets a bit frustrating that some elementary functions remain unfixed. Perhaps that is unfair, I don't know. Truly though the frustration is bred out of the potential people see in this engine, and the general mechanics of the game. It can be really good. Maybe they just don't have the resources, I don't know. But surely whenever there is regression, that does upset me a bit because it seems so counterintuitive. I know the game has moved forward in many ways since the days of 14. I just struggle to understand why some elements disappear inexplicably that were already there. For eg. one minor thing in 14 I remember was different kinds of leaves depending on how you moved the footwork stick. That was a nice little feature. I haven't seen that since. Again, I reiterate they've added a lot of great things. For instance, I absolutely love the idea of dynamic lineups as an exclusively career mode player. I just feels there is a great game here if only they can somehow bring together the good from each title and patch version.

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
I think this is a fair comment: I think the most frustration people are having is with shorter forms of the game where those things are much more match determining than in multi day games.

The game needs three different iterations to do all formats justice really!

Yeah , or just the ability "Behind the Scenes" , to enable/disable say more wake up fielders for Pro20`s.

Much the same as the Confidence Bar that was already in the Green for Pro20`s (see that also got changed?) , to mirror the more urgent nature of Pro20`s.

I`m hoping this is something that can be enabled/disabled by the mere selection of the Match Format ?[DOUBLEPOST=1575626381][/DOUBLEPOST]We had one of our most enjoyable Pro20 Online Leagues in years, prior to the latest Patch , and it would be such a shame if the above couldnt be implemented to also try and cater for the shorter format.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I think this has veered a bit. That was not my intention, truly. I love that there is a cricket game, and that we have this product. Sometimes it just gets a bit frustrating that some elementary functions remain unfixed. Perhaps that is unfair, I don't know. Truly though the frustration is bred out of the potential people see in this engine, and the general mechanics of the game. It can be really good. Maybe they just don't have the resources, I don't know. But surely whenever there is regression, that does upset me a bit because it seems so counterintuitive. I know the game has moved forward in many ways since the days of 14. I just struggle to understand why some elements disappear inexplicably that were already there. For eg. one minor thing in 14 I remember was different kinds of leaves depending on how you moved the footwork stick. That was a nice little feature. I haven't seen that since. Again, I reiterate they've added a lot of great things. For instance, I absolutely love the idea of dynamic lineups as an exclusively career mode player. I just feels there is a great game here if only they can somehow bring together the good from each title and patch version.
I feel this is a fair analysis from your side. You've almost covered everything, what I miss from the days of 14 (and even 17 to an extent) is the advanced lofted and grounded shots. Advancing down the wicker is messy now, and mostly leads to being bowled. And even if one connects doesn't look the best. Used to be one of my favorite shots back in the day. Now it's just not there for practical use.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I feel this is a fair analysis from your side. You've almost covered everything, what I miss from the days of 14 (and even 17 to an extent) is the advanced lofted and grounded shots. Advancing down the wicker is messy now, and mostly leads to being bowled. And even if one connects doesn't look the best. Used to be one of my favorite shots back in the day. Now it's just not there for practical use.
I'd suggest lowering the advanced shot slider. Not sure what I have it on, can have a look when I'm home, but it's a useless shot until I lowered it. I still don't use it, out of habit, but instead of missing by miles I hit one first try when I lowered it.

jaffar100

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

You are spot on with this. I too agree, until Ashes 17 , advanced ground shots or lofted shots were scoring shot. Now that it hardly connects , especially with spinners very hard to hit.

Now its very true that 'it's just not there for practical use'.

AnkitC

International Coach
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I have a bad habit of buying games in the past, due it being from a popular company. Almost gave in and bought FIFA 20, when it was on discount. Controlled myself, unlike the past where I bought 17-19 on different platforms, and didn't even play enough to justify the purchase. If I want to play FIFA, I play 19 on the Switch. Heard about the WWE Bugs from a friend who buys the new edition annually.

I agree, BA has reached a state where improving existing issues, just like the stats got improved from previous iterations, has to be their focus. It'll definitely help their reputation. Also what @Dutch said about fielding, that should be one of their focuses.

My one hope for the future is, if enough people in the Indian Subcontinent start buying the game. I am talking about masses. Maybe we get licensed players from the BCCI. That'll only happen in future though, since BCCI only invests if there's big profit. It's a wish of mine. I love the game. Creations already make up for the lack of licenses!

About Licensing of Indian Players, I think there cannot be a better time than now, with Ganguly as President. If BA can arrange a meeting and pitch properly, I feel Ganguly would be up for it. He's one person who's not about money, he feels for the game and would do anything to further the reach of our beautiful game. Imagine having a Licensed Cricket Game like FIFA. Woo..:)

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I imagine that as we draw to the end of 2019 that we are now seeing the very end phase of work on this game. For better or for worse, depending on your outlook and I personally feel for the better seeing the games I am having, this is the game as it will probably be for the foreseeable future, probably until and if a new iteration comes along.

This was my thoughts too. I’m quite happy with the game to be honest. I’m not great at T20 and rarely play it, much prefer tests and enjoyed them throughly. For me it’s a solid game with a massive improvement over Ashes.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I know the game has moved forward in many ways since the days of 14. I just struggle to understand why some elements disappear inexplicably that were already there. For eg. one minor thing in 14 I remember was different kinds of leaves depending on how you moved the footwork stick. That was a nice little feature. I haven't seen that since.
This I definitely miss.. I really want leaves to have game of their own in the sense that its not a simple thing to leave balls which is in the corridor especially if the ball is swinging around but the game's leaves are really easy to execute.. Like instances where the ball is coming into the batsman and I think of leaving but last second try to defend it with bat , such physics is what I really want to see..

You've almost covered everything, what I miss from the days of 14 (and even 17 to an extent) is the advanced lofted and grounded shots. Advancing down the wicker is messy now, and mostly leads to being bowled. And even if one connects doesn't look the best. Used to be one of my favorite shots back in the day. Now it's just not there for practical use.

The advance down shots are bad in this game expect for that ones over cover shot and the point region shot.. In DBC 14 that was my go to shot against spinners only the grounded ones, it was amazing feature and the shots were great to see.. Now its all remaining in the crease and placing the ball.. Though the game has got about 80% of animations right IMO and the ones which are good are really well done too [talking in sense of how they look visually], the main reason I keep going back to the game..

D

Dutch

I agree with a lot you say. Unfortunately I think we have to accept the fact that BA are a studio that has to work on multiple projects to survive. This means people are pulled from one project to work on another as that comes up. If they were able to dedicate everything to cricket continuously we would see an across the board evolution.

I am quite positive as to how things may go. I am looking forward to seeing their new tennisgame in action and hopefully some of those developments will flow over into a next cricket title.

I have come to accept that it will probably be a little longer before we see a next title.

Personally there is enough going on with this game to keep me engaged for a while.

I am with you though that when DBC 14 came out I would have hoped for a much steeper evolution curve than we have.

The engine change with DBC 17 will have been a cause of that in some part at least.

Bring fielding up to par with batting and bowling and it has great potential

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I agree with a lot you say. Unfortunately I think we have to accept the fact that BA are a studio that has to work on multiple projects to survive. This means people are pulled from one project to work on another as that comes up. If they were able to dedicate everything to cricket continuously we would see an across the board evolution.

I am quite positive as to how things may go. I am looking forward to seeing their new tennisgame in action and hopefully some of those developments will flow over into a next cricket title.

I have come to accept that it will probably be a little longer before we see a next title.

Personally there is enough going on with this game to keep me engaged for a while.

I am with you though that when DBC 14 came out I would have hoped for a much steeper evolution curve than we have.

The engine change with DBC 17 will have been a cause of that in some part at least.

Bring fielding up to par with batting and bowling and it has great potential

on semi-auto fielding, i'd like a toggle fielder option. sometimes the "active" fielder (i.e. the one with the cursor and moving toward the ball) is not the ideal one and I'd like to be able to change that

Reactions: DAP

Users who are viewing this thread