Cricket 19 General Discussion

D

Dutch

Feel like this today.

Each pitch needs a baseline of what can be expected. This thread just highlights all the different opinions people have about what's wrong. Blocker thinks the bounce is too much, I'd say it's probably at least a foot too low on every pitch.
That's where I felt that Rumbles Around The World Pitches might be a good starting point as he describes very well in my opinion what each pitch should be doing around the world and the settings for them.

AnkitC

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Feel like this today.

Each pitch needs a baseline of what can be expected. This thread just highlights all the different opinions people have about what's wrong. Blocker thinks the bounce is too much, I'd say it's probably at least a foot too low on every pitch.

Well, I have an interesting take on this. I feel the bounce may as well be low as you're suggesting. The real problem seems to be with the curve. The curve according to which the ball slows down after getting released by the bowler.

The ball doesn't seem to slow down enough after passing the batsman. Which is why the bouncers often go above the heads of Keepers and at times all the way for Six. IRL, there is a projectile movement of the ball where even the fast and short deliveries go to the keepers who are standing almost at the 30 metre circle. Whereas in the game the further you keep the Keeper the lesser the chances are of him getting a hand to it.

I have a fair few such observations which I'll share in the Suggestions thread

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Well, I have an interesting take on this. I feel the bounce may as well be low as you're suggesting. The real problem seems to be with the curve. The curve according to which the ball slows down after getting released by the bowler.

The ball doesn't seem to slow down enough after passing the batsman. Which is why the bouncers often go above the heads of Keepers and at times all the way for Six. IRL, there is a projectile movement of the ball where even the fast and short deliveries go to the keepers who are standing almost at the 30 metre circle. Whereas in the game the further you keep the Keeper the lesser the chances are of him getting a hand to it.

I have a fair few such observations which I'll share in the Suggestions thread
I've thought that's a problem in the last two games. I think playing around with the friction and bounce sliders might improve it but I don't know how much you can impact it in that way.

Keeping is very selective though; there are ones they will go for and almost identical ones that do not. I would find it less irritating if they at least attempted to dive for ones they miss instead of ignoring. Also keeper/slips field position doesn't always help.

AnkitC

International Coach
I've thought that's a problem in the last two games. I think playing around with the friction and bounce sliders might improve it but I don't know how much you can impact it in that way.

Keeping is very selective though; there are ones they will go for and almost identical ones that do not. I would find it less irritating if they at least attempted to dive for ones they miss instead of ignoring. Also keeper/slips field position doesn't always help.

They have certainly improved aspects of Ball physics a lot compared to the previous games. But clearly the curve function is incorrect w.r.t Real World. Which is probably why in the last patch they moved the Keeper a lot forward so the get to the ball. Absolutely hacky way, but it helped. It only worked because, the whole code for keeper is extremely hacky. There is no consideration of the incoming ball speed factor, so the keeper can pretty much stand up to the stumps and still keep to a Bowler bowling 90 Miles+. They need to get rid of Hardcoding in favour natural simulation to get it right.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Feel like this today.

Do you not get full balls bouncing over the stumps?

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I would prefer it if good length deliveries had a chance of at least hitting the top of the stumps on most surfaces for some deliveries. Some harder pitches when bowling leg spin, the only way to attack the stumps is to bowl full length deliveries as anything shorter goes over the stumps. As there is little control over speed of delivery, or even flight, it does limit options on harder surfaces. I have only played one Ashes series, so far, where I was using pace bowlers but also found that, on some pitches, it was difficult to hit the stumps without pitch it up even on day 5 of a test.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I would prefer it if good length deliveries had a chance of at least hitting the top of the stumps on most surfaces for some deliveries. Some harder pitches when bowling leg spin, the only way to attack the stumps is to bowl full length deliveries as anything shorter goes over the stumps. As there is little control over speed of delivery, or even flight, it does limit options on harder surfaces. I have only played one Ashes series, so far, where I was using pace bowlers but also found that, on some pitches, it was difficult to hit the stumps without pitch it up even on day 5 of a test.
This is where I disagree, cause I see 'good length' being the length that creates doubt in the batsman's mind about whether to play front or back. Nothing to do with if it hits the stumps. I haven't done tonnes of in depth research but looking at some ball tracking good length doesn't really hit top of off unless you're in the subcontinent or on a soft English pitch.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
This is where I disagree, cause I see 'good length' being the length that creates doubt in the batsman's mind about whether to play front or back. Nothing to do with if it hits the stumps. I haven't done tonnes of in depth research but looking at some ball tracking good length doesn't really hit top of off unless you're in the subcontinent or on a soft English pitch.

For me, @Plotinus X should be your back of a length Glenn McGrath stock ball.

R1 X should be a potential bail trimmer.
L1 X the kinda ones that can force you onto the back foot.

O should be you bouncers.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

I agree with this, but I think on a “medium” pitch, the good length with fuller trigger as @WealeyH says should be a bail trimmer/top of off - some hitting, some going over. Good length in England might generally be going over, but enough should be in danger of hitting - even on firmer test pitches in England you don’t generally leave on length as in eg Aus unless shorter.

for a hard pitch, I’d say you switch everything forward one length. So good with fuller trigger is back of length and full with shorter trigger is the some hitting, some going forward length.

the problem in my experience is that what I’ve suggested for hard is actually the case for medium.

Wealey

ICC Board Member

As a tall opening bowlers if I wanted an LBW or Bowled the only place I could get it from my default length was Bangladesh.

everywhere else I had to consciously have to “get it up there”

AnkitC

International Coach

Why though? Why don't you just use the Bounce and Flight Sliders while Spin Bowling. You can bowl quite flat with that.

Also, the Bounce side should have ideally been named Fast or something like that.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
You can change this with ball bounce and something else or one of them though. I had Sharma clipping bails with R1 X yesterday

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
Bad shots seem to be punished with low power so they aren't going to get up or travel. Upping the bounce and reducing the friction certainly seemed to improve things in this regard.
We have said it since day one of the game

The Physics is the wrong way around.

When you are "EARLY" on a Shot , means the bat is already too far through the shot, and it should result in a Looped Catch to the Infield.

In the Game , an Early shot just dribble along the ground , same as a "LATE" shot .

Users who are viewing this thread