Cricket 2005 Demo Released - Views, Opinions and Reviews

I played the demo about 5 or 6 times. My initial impressions:

Positives:
- I found batting tough. Then, again my batting skill level is just ok and I generally struggle against spinners
- CPU bowled good line and length deliveries almost everytime
- Wicket-keeper fielded the ball all the time without letting byes slip by
- The player graphics look excellent gives a bit of a eerie feeling sometimes when you look at the close-ups
- The crowd graphics is a big improvement

Negatives:
- Only the wicket keeper collects the ball all the time
- Some shots played by the batmen for specific deliveries do not look real
- The batmen most of the time do not slide their bat inside the crease when running between wickets
- Gameplay feels exactly the same as it did in Cricket 2004

Overall, with what I can see it certainly seems an improvement over Cricket 2004. Since gameplay is my primary concern, I cannot see anything spectacularly different from 2004 in that aspect. I would certainly wait for gameplay reviews before I can think of buying this game.

Here is my review:

Overall, this game is okay...its cricket 2004 with better graphics and smoother animations.

The Good: I like the menus, they remind me of Fifa. I like the animation of the crowd, it actually looks 3-D. The player models are good and the kits are fantastic. The ball physics are actually somewhat decent, even though I think the ball comes off the pad a bit too quickly. The pitch looks very nice and detailed, and the crowd seems responsive.

The bad: The fielding AI is **** poor, and whats worse is much of the problems were in cricket 2004. When a straight drive hits the stumps, the bowler stands over the ball waiting to receive it (why can't he just pick it up and throw it to the WK's end?) What's worse is when the fielder picks it up, the game gets stuck for a bit: you have to try to take a run and call it back before you get run out so that the game progresses. When there is a third umpire decision, you can see the wickets column on the score card change if you are out (what, then is the point of the third umpire?) There is no differentiation between recognized batsman and tailender...I smacked three sixes with Gough. I saw the same misfield at midwicket at least 3 times, making it seem like there is a fixed scheme or script to the fielding AI. I honestly don't think that EA have implemented a rating system for player attributes as we would think. Another thing is the lack of variation in the bowling, there were way too many yorkers for my liking (but that might be due to match situation, can't tell if it will be like that for the entire game in just 3 overs).
I haven't been able to get many shots with combination keys (sweep, cover drive, glide to third man, etc) to show up, but that might be due to lack of practice.

As you guys can see, the bad outweighs the good and this game is probably not worth getting at the moment. I will wait to see if BLIC is better or worse before making my decision. The only thing that may tip Cricket 2005 over BLIC is the licensed twenty20 tournament and the hope of patchmaking.

jus played the game, and its crap.. its feel exactly like C2004. and 3overs WTF is that all about, we should at least be able to bowl. i ran C2005 on 1024*768 and it ran choppy, were as in C2004 it ran so smooth.

Overall i reckon BLIC is much better, but i will buy C2005 on PS2 instead of PC, maybe when Patches and Editors are made, i'll prob buy it. out of 5 it gets a 1.5/5

help

Can you guys help with this. I downloaded the demo and it looks really good. The problem is that i am not very good at this game since i never played cricket 2004 and therefore can't get a hang of the game. I know the controls but i just can't hit a good shot. Everytime i hit the ball while pressing the shift button it goes to the nearest fielder. Can anyone help me with this by telling me if there is a certain timing needed to hit the ball or proper buttons to press. I usuall press D (advance) + shift (six shot supposedly) + the direction i want it to go (up, down, left, right). Am i doing something wrong. Please help so i can actually enjoy the demo. Thank you.

Still need help. I am pathetic. I can't get a good shot off. The ball touches the bat and just goes to the nearest fielder or hits the batsman.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!! :crying :upray

Please!!! Someone Help
I'm Begging You!!!

Has no one had a problem with the AI Fielding ?

I had about 3 or 4 misfields where the fielder or wicketkeeper just let the ball go past - it looked awful and very unrealistic ?

Man, just woke up and I seem to have missed a hell of a lot. Downloading it now. Reading all the reviews here the game seems a bit disappointing but I will have to try it myself first.

Ha ha.. Demo out?? Download it with DAP guys! Its freaking fast speed for those with DSL/Cable Internet. Its downloading at 600kb/s for me! 4 minutes gone and 6:30 minutes remaining!

moss884 said:
Still need help. I am pathetic. I can't get a good shot off. The ball touches the bat and just goes to the nearest fielder or hits the batsman.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!! :crying :upray

Please!!! Someone Help
I'm Begging You!!!

You have to just practice your timing. Play more and more and you will become more comfortable. I can't think of anything else that can help in a demo.

I have played Cricket 2004 and I found batting in Cricket 2005 tough since I have not played Cricket 2004 in months. So, take heart and practice... Good luck...

I have played this game once and must say WOW!!!!! The graphics are an eyes delight!!! And the game is surely an eyes delight! This is starting to suck me in! Cant say much abt the gameplay but will post a honest review

Positives:

Graphics! Didnt play BLIC 2005 so no comparison, but this is one of the best game graphics that I've ever seen! Noticeable faces like Harmison, Gilchrist, Symonds looks superbly close to real life!

Cut scenes:Wow.. This is one of the things thats going to make me buy this game! After Kabir Ali was stumped by Gilchrist off a left arm spinner (didnt know who that spinner was!), Gilchrist went and hugged that spinner. And the celebrations look so good.

Others: Great TV style showing of batsmen running between the wickets. Its now easier to judge runs! Totally smooth animations. The batsmen stepping down the wicket to loft over the top is now more sweeter to watch! And importantly, welcome addition of the mouse in selecting the menyu options. Great FOW highlights! after the match finishes, good way to show the teams leaving and showing some scenes there too!

Negatives:

Bugs: Saw a bug here! Harmison stepped out of the wicket and was bowled middle stump. Just when the ball hit the middle stump, the keeper disappeared! Man, it was awful to watch!

Gough swept the ball and the ball hit his pads and lobbed up and fell in no man's land. But the umpire gave it a wide! What the hell?

Pitch: Was it due to my graphic card? The pitch looked like a boiler burning! Lot of grains visible on the pitch. I have one of the best graphic cards (I have written stories for C04 and people have complimented my card!).

Overall: Couldnt get much of a hang in the gameplay! But this game is a must buy just for the graphics, cut scenes and other exciting stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread