Cricket 22 General Discussion thread (Use bug report thread for issues/bugs/crashes | Patch notes in first post)

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hear people talking about certain batting styles being "bugged". Is there a list? I want to start a career mode but have been told you can't change your batting style throughout so I guess it's important to get right early.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I hear people talking about certain batting styles being "bugged". Is there a list? I want to start a career mode but have been told you can't change your batting style throughout so I guess it's important to get right early.
Seems to be batting style 6 that has had the most issues.

Roooooot

Club Cricketer
If you scroll to the right you will get more statistics.

I'll just be blunt on this - I don't get people's desperation to not play cricket in a cricket game. Being screwed out of the chance to win a game because some rain comes late or the sky is a bit dark, having an unfair disadvantage because of the quirks of duckworth lewis, etc. They just aren't fun game experiences for the player, and indeed I would suspect that the times they could trigger, people might accuse the game of being scripted or cheating because someone would have been about to win an important match and then it'd get rained out or something...

The other side of weather, the different atmospheres, the impact of the weather on the ball and outfield, stuff like hot weather drying out a pitch, or overcast weather triggering more swing - those are great things and add value to the player. So that's where the focus is on, the bits of weather making the gameplay better and make matches and locations feel different to eachother.

All that kind of stuff might be cool, and one day that sort of stuff might be a cut scene everyone will skip the second time they see it, and I'd agree that rain needs to be handled better in the game and those delays/adjustments better communicated, but fundamentally it's a lower priority over getting playing the game better.

Yeah, that's an area we'll be looking to improve upon in future updates.
The point here Matt is that rain delays and forecasts of poor weather force captains to change tactics in longer forms of the game. That makes it more interesting and can produce thrilling final overs - look at how Anderson kept out Australia to draw the fourth Test. Without a rain delay it would have been a much duller game. That's why rain delays were in EAs cricket masterpieces over 15 years ago and why its very disappointing that there are still not in yours after 8 years and 5 iterations of your game.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The point here Matt is that rain delays and forecasts of poor weather force captains to change tactics in longer forms of the game. That makes it more interesting and can produce thrilling final overs - look at how Anderson kept out Australia to draw the fourth Test. Without a rain delay it would have been a much duller game. That's why rain delays were in EAs cricket masterpieces over 15 years ago and why its very disappointing that there are still not in yours after 8 years and 5 iterations of your game.
You can get all that in matches without rain delays.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
It's Super Mario, Doom, Half-Life, Zelda and Cricket 07; always in the Top 5 greatest games lists.
Half Life was pretty awesome though, I really liked Blue Shift expansion. Personally my all time favourite cricket game was probably cricket 97 (ashes edition) along with Cricket 96 and Shane Warne Cricket 99 (titled that here in Aus instead of Brian Lara). Honourable mention to cricket world cup 99:

s0074845

Club Captain
If you scroll to the right you will get more statistics.

I'll just be blunt on this - I don't get people's desperation to not play cricket in a cricket game. Being screwed out of the chance to win a game because some rain comes late or the sky is a bit dark, having an unfair disadvantage because of the quirks of duckworth lewis, etc. They just aren't fun game experiences for the player, and indeed I would suspect that the times they could trigger, people might accuse the game of being scripted or cheating because someone would have been about to win an important match and then it'd get rained out or something...

The other side of weather, the different atmospheres, the impact of the weather on the ball and outfield, stuff like hot weather drying out a pitch, or overcast weather triggering more swing - those are great things and add value to the player. So that's where the focus is on, the bits of weather making the gameplay better and make matches and locations feel different to eachother.

All that kind of stuff might be cool, and one day that sort of stuff might be a cut scene everyone will skip the second time they see it, and I'd agree that rain needs to be handled better in the game and those delays/adjustments better communicated, but fundamentally it's a lower priority over getting playing the game better.

Yeah, that's an area we'll be looking to improve upon in future updates.
@MattW makes perfect sense. Most important bits are being looked in too

can you please confirm L1 and R1 trigger works for altering length please line C19

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm not trying to say it's unimportant, I'm explaining why it's de-prioritised against improvements that enhance the gameplay experience the majority of the time, especially when rain can ruin the experience in many cases - for every match, real world or video game, that it can turn into an exciting finish, there's dozens of matches where the whole thing is just rained out and a team that should have easily won has to share the points.

The frustration that can occur when it goes wrong is a reason for having a very light touch with rain delays.

And I'm sure given EA's history with rain related bugs, in Cricket 2004 in particular, the comparison would make many of the older members of this forum laugh...

can you please confirm L1 and R1 trigger works for altering length please line C19
Yes - just no longer mentioned on the hud. With the exception of if you're using the arcade controls with the pitch marker.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Can someone please let me know what setup should be done before starting a career? Which teams to download/edit etc..?

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm not trying to say it's unimportant, I'm explaining why it's de-prioritised against improvements that enhance the gameplay experience the majority of the time, especially when rain can ruin the experience in many cases - for every match, real world or video game, that it can turn into an exciting finish, there's dozens of matches where the whole thing is just rained out and a team that should have easily won has to share the points.

The frustration that can occur when it goes wrong is a reason for having a very light touch with rain delays.

And I'm sure given EA's history with rain related bugs, in Cricket 2004 in particular, the comparison would make many of the older members of this forum laugh...

Yes - just no longer mentioned on the hud. With the exception of if you're using the arcade controls with the pitch marker.
On rain, just an aesthetic observation: the rain itself is quite dark and hard to see, might need a bump up in brightness or lower the transparency a bit.

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Holy hell academy is slow... this would be like a solid full evening effort just to get real teams? Is this just me?
I tested it once, downloading everything and it took over 7 hours. I did take a break though so probably a little over 6.

angad

Chairman of Consent
@MattW Any plans on making defensive shots a bit more risky too than it is at the moment? I played full overs of defensive shots, purposely timing it very very late and at times very very early, but still never got out playing the defensive shot.
I understand that the defence should be less risky than other shots (which is already dealt with by giving it a bigger timing window) but ill-timed defensive shots should still, imo, result in edges like we have in real cricket. Specially when a new batsman comes in. At the moment I can close my eyes and play a defensive shot and it still connects without any risk irrespective of how I timed it or how many non-greens I got in timing, shot selection and footwork.

Users who are viewing this thread