Cricket 24 - General Discussion

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
item 2 above i have been asking for since the first game.At some point this did appear to be working in cricket 24 but it was somehow patched out.

AmanT94

School Cricketer
item 2 above i have been asking for since the first game.At some point this did appear to be working in cricket 24 but it was somehow patched out.
Yeah its gets very annoying when your trying to build a knock and be immersed and your playing 2 player with your mate and on the hardest difficulty he can stand outside off and spam the legside and score 200 of 70 balls. And I've heard people say well don't do that if you want to enjoy the game but honestly the players shouldn't have to hide game developers' flaws.

I'm not sure what goes on at Big Ant on whether they need a bigger team or a lot of them don't play cricket themselves so stuff like this gets overlooked, but if stuff like that doesn't get fixed then its a matter of time before someone else comes along and does, especially because Big Ants proved cricket games to be lucrative to a degree now with their licensing efforts.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah its gets very annoying when your trying to build a knock and be immersed and your playing 2 player with your mate and on the hardest difficulty he can stand outside off and spam the legside and score 200 of 70 balls. And I've heard people say well don't do that if you want to enjoy the game but honestly the players shouldn't have to hide game developers' flaws.

I'm not sure what goes on at Big Ant on whether they need a bigger team or a lot of them don't play cricket themselves so stuff like this gets overlooked, but if stuff like that doesn't get fixed then its a matter of time before someone else comes along and does, especially because Big Ants proved cricket games to be lucrative to a degree now with their licensing efforts.
Every game has exploits users can take advantage of, the reason why people say don't do it is simple - don't do it.

tarangmht

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yes but in this case its a very, very basic exploit.
how do you suggest they remedy this because they cant just restrict player movements. Players do sometimes shuffle in real life too. I and my friends have a rule to not shuffle this takes care of it why expect BA to do this and make the game restrictive for ppl who prefer doing that.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
how do you suggest they remedy this because they cant just restrict player movements. Players do sometimes shuffle in real life too. I and my friends have a rule to not shuffle this takes care of it why expect BA to do this and make the game restrictive for ppl who prefer doing that.
There are ways to program against exploits and this particular exploit can be extremely tempting in late game situations where it can help you back into the game, sometimes a little too much.

I'd probably suggest that it could be monitored with a subroutine which takes into account:

Distance of legs outside off stump
Number of times attempted per over
Angle of shot requested
Other relevant variables

If it becomes excessive in occurance, exaggerated in distance outside off and shots are played to more extreme leg side angles, then according to difficulty level you could have a much higher chance of a bad shot to a fielder or a legside edge onto the stumps.

This could be programmed and would be logical.

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
The fix is to write code allowing AI to adjust delivery choice according to batsman position so shifting guard no longer results in a constant stream of deliveries on your pads, and also to improve the realism of the mechanics of the legside repertoire so it's not quite so easy to launch everything on your pads to the midwicket fence.

These are probably not easy fixes.

Very much doubt they would do a bolt on patch to nerf shots according to frequency of use.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This does raise an interesting conversation around balancing gameplay for online play and the notion of optimisation versus fun.

It’s clear that BA’s main focus gameplay wise has been single player across the series. Online play has been something they’ve included because it is a basic feature required for a AAA sports game in these times. The fluff around wanting to add their own version of the Ultimate Team mechanic may mean that this focus is likely to change but I wouldn’t be shocked if that is also something just added on as an extra thing to do rather than a core, essential feature.

Contrast that with FIFA where the focus has been exclusively online play to the complete detriment of even basic AI features in every single player mode. I don’t mean just the lack of variety in them, I mean the actual gameplay in a game versus the AI or when you have to rely on the AI. Unless you control the defender the AI is quite passive when playing against another player because the pros think having a competent AI aiding in your defence is apparently a thing that minimises the skill gap. Equally it is frustrating to play on full manual against someone on assisted settings given the crutch it provides. It’s an absolute flaw in gameplay design fundamentally and I’d rather have a sports game where the gameplay is geared towards providing a solid single player experience with a multiplayer that can still be enjoyed with a set of unspoken rules akin to the spirit of cricket ones.

This doesn’t preclude the possibility of having both be enjoyable which is something I believe Super Mega Baseball does well and it would be great if one day BA finds the right balance. It’ll be a difficult task though because as one wise man said “Players will always optimise the fun out of any game if given the chance”.

AmanT94

School Cricketer
There are ways to program against exploits and this particular exploit can be extremely tempting in late game situations where it can help you back into the game, sometimes a little too much.

I'd probably suggest that it could be monitored with a subroutine which takes into account:

Distance of legs outside off stump
Number of times attempted per over
Angle of shot requested
Other relevant variables

If it becomes excessive in occurance, exaggerated in distance outside off and shots are played to more extreme leg side angles, then according to difficulty level you could have a much higher chance of a bad shot to a fielder or a legside edge onto the stumps.

This could be programmed and would be logical.

The fix is to write code allowing AI to adjust delivery choice according to batsman position so shifting guard no longer results in a constant stream of deliveries on your pads, and also to improve the realism of the mechanics of the legside repertoire so it's not quite so easy to launch everything on your pads to the midwicket fence.

These are probably not easy fixes.

Very much doubt they would do a bolt on patch to nerf shots according to frequency of use.

Agreed if your a long way outside off stump currently the shots too OP. It needs balancing infact in reality if a ball is a long way down the batters legs side its actually very hard to connect so there should be the risk of losing your stumps of you want to move that far across. Should be a Risk/Reward situation which batting is in real life.

In real life the batter move across
a) most occasions its very late and dont take their stance outside the stumps
b) to a very specific field setting eg. wide yorker

And also if the batter is hitting boundaries constantly in one area the field should adjust accordingly. Currently i dont think the AI bowls to to a particular field or adjusts it I think it just changes the field based on what the batter is on.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
This does raise an interesting conversation around balancing gameplay for online play and the notion of optimisation versus fun.

It’s clear that BA’s main focus gameplay wise has been single player across the series. Online play has been something they’ve included because it is a basic feature required for a AAA sports game in these times. The fluff around wanting to add their own version of the Ultimate Team mechanic may mean that this focus is likely to change but I wouldn’t be shocked if that is also something just added on as an extra thing to do rather than a core, essential feature.

Contrast that with FIFA where the focus has been exclusively online play to the complete detriment of even basic AI features in every single player mode. I don’t mean just the lack of variety in them, I mean the actual gameplay in a game versus the AI or when you have to rely on the AI. Unless you control the defender the AI is quite passive when playing against another player because the pros think having a competent AI aiding in your defence is apparently a thing that minimises the skill gap. Equally it is frustrating to play on full manual against someone on assisted settings given the crutch it provides. It’s an absolute flaw in gameplay design fundamentally and I’d rather have a sports game where the gameplay is geared towards providing a solid single player experience with a multiplayer that can still be enjoyed with a set of unspoken rules akin to the spirit of cricket ones.

This doesn’t preclude the possibility of having both be enjoyable which is something I believe Super Mega Baseball does well and it would be great if one day BA finds the right balance. It’ll be a difficult task though because as one wise man said “Players will always optimise the fun out of any game if given the chance”.
No matter how realistic you get the AI to be people still look for exploits or use sliders to goldilocks the game (modify the difficulty to make it not too easy but not too hard). So, like you say 'optimise the fun out of any game.' Same with online; most of the stuff I've seen about multiplayer recently is people asking 'how do I counter xxxx tactic/delivery/shot' because people use whatever exploit they can to gain an advantage.

I don't think a lot of the fixes are as easy as some people think, either because of how the game is designed or for the knock on effects. Add to that fixes that are either unrealistic or undesirable. There are things that could be done to counter issues from a developer side. But, I've seen people batting way outside off stump or aiming their shot before the delivery into whatever gap is in the field and I just wonder why they choose to make the experience worse.

AmanT94

School Cricketer
But, I've seen people batting way outside off stump or aiming their shot before the delivery into whatever gap is in the field and I just wonder why they choose to make the experience worse.

That also annoys me, but in my opinion this particular exploit is a fundamental of the batting experience especially on hard mode where you shouldn't be allowed to hit the ball where ever you please, if you chose not do it its still empty in the fact that you know the game isn't good enough.

I agree that the fix may not be easy but my question is why wasn't this exploit in Shane Warne Cricket 99, or the EA Cricket titles, games which have been around for years publicly and in my opinion found a better balance in the batting experience in terms of playing all around the wicket and can Big Ant take these older games and study them?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
That also annoys me, but in my opinion this particular exploit is a fundamental of the batting experience especially on hard mode where you shouldn't be allowed to hit the ball where ever you please, if you chose not do it its still empty in the fact that you know the game isn't good enough.

I agree that the fix may not be easy but my question is why wasn't this exploit in Shane Warne Cricket 99, or the EA Cricket titles, games which have been around for years publicly and in my opinion found a better balance in the batting experience in terms of playing all around the wicket and can Big Ant take these older games and study them?
Never really played EA titles, didn't like them. Could you move your batter in Brian Lara/ Shane Warne cricket?

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
Currently i dont think the AI bowls to to a particular field or adjusts it I think it just changes the field based on what the batter is on.

Yes it does. I can't go into too much detail but I can tell you the game definitely selects deliveries to match the field that's been set. AFAIK it doesn't adjust for user repositioning the batsman.

There was originally written into DBC a system for adjusting the field according to a heatmap of where the ball has been going but it produced unidiomatic fields and it was just too easy to put the ball in gaps, so any time the AI leaves a significant gap the user can just hit into it. Having more generic fields without big gaps keeps the flow of play more like a real game of cricket, in practice.

Users who are viewing this thread