Cricket 24 - General Discussion

The fielding discussion has also been interesting to see. A parallel I can think of to a field setting is the formations being set up in football and the game that’s supposed to focus on them in FM has only now introduced an AI that is more reactive to matchday situations and be more willing to switch things up to counter your own plans or challenge you to change things up. And even then it’s pretty hit and miss as some of the challenge is artificial and forced by your players being worse than the AI at finishing chances for one which keeps games semi-competitive.

Now imagine an AI having to do that for nearly every instance of delivery bowled in a T20, calculating what would be the best option based on a batter’s strengths and weaknesses. Add in the human factor too; the AI may set a short ball field if I was batting with Shreyas for instance but if I keep nailing those hooks and pulls on timing then what does the AI do? I’ve seen teams persist with the same tactic even though they got hammered or handled by him in real life sometimes but if the AI were to do it in game it would be deemed unrealistic. There’s also the issue of it not being a realistic scenario in the first place (Shreyas being competent enough to thrive in a short ball barrage from a couple of world class pacers).

The fielding discussion has also been interesting to see. A parallel I can think of to a field setting is the formations being set up in football and the game that’s supposed to focus on them in FM has only now introduced an AI that is more reactive to matchday situations and be more willing to switch things up to counter your own plans or challenge you to change things up. And even then it’s pretty hit and miss as some of the challenge is artificial and forced by your players being worse than the AI at finishing chances for one which keeps games semi-competitive.

Now imagine an AI having to do that for nearly every instance of delivery bowled in a T20, calculating what would be the best option based on a batter’s strengths and weaknesses. Add in the human factor too; the AI may set a short ball field if I was batting with Shreyas for instance but if I keep nailing those hooks and pulls on timing then what does the AI do? I’ve seen teams persist with the same tactic even though they got hammered or handled by him in real life sometimes but if the AI were to do it in game it would be deemed unrealistic. There’s also the issue of it not being a realistic scenario in the first place (Shreyas being competent enough to thrive in a short ball barrage from a couple of world class pacers).
I do think programming an AI to do a captain's job must be one of the harder challenges in sports videogaming.

I think cricket AI from a fielding captain tactical perspective is easier than say football AI, because there’s a reset every ball.

Football is fluid and dynamic and must continually be calculated on the fly.

Cricket can be re calculated every ball.

Now, I’m not saying it’s easy per se - I’m sure it’s not. But it is easier than football AI.

I also think a lot of structures in the model that would help (bowling plans, team/captain aggression etc) have never been in the engine

I think cricket AI from a fielding captain tactical perspective is easier than say football AI, because there’s a reset every ball.

Football is fluid and dynamic and must continually be calculated on the fly.

Cricket can be re calculated every ball.

Now, I’m not saying it’s easy per se - I’m sure it’s not. But it is easier than football AI.

I also think a lot of structures in the model that would help (bowling plans, team/captain aggression etc) have never been in the engine
Well now you mention it, I guess the ball-by-ball nature of cricket is an advantage in this respect.

I'd agree that DBC14 was a bit optimistic in terms of how much they could get out of the on-the-fly stuff, like the dynamic fields and bowling AI. C19 was a step forward for the bowling AI with the addition of a bit more structural stuff but that's at the easier end of things, I guess.

Well now you mention it, I guess the ball-by-ball nature of cricket is an advantage in this respect.

I'd agree that DBC14 was a bit optimistic in terms of how much they could get out of the on-the-fly stuff, like the dynamic fields and bowling AI. C19 was a step forward for the bowling AI with the addition of a bit more structural stuff but that's at the easier end of things, I guess.
I think getting from A to B is fine - in the sense of, the AI batters or bowlers need to do certain things - like score runs or bowl in a particular way. However, once things start off veer off there's so many variables to factor in. Limited overs vs test is a good example. ODI and T20s are more formulaic, due to the field restrictions, so things followed a fairly straightforward pattern can be followed but test matches can branch off in lots of different ways.

Yesterday, India had a slip and leg slip while Kuldeep was bowling. Implementing that kind of strategy could be precarious in a game - and potentially a bit pointless. We've discussed a lot that you jut can't have the AI set overly aggressive slip cordons in test matches because it can be too easy to feast on the gaps.

@Bevab mentions they are looking to make the FM AI more reactive, that game has been around for about 30 years which is a sign of how complex it is to get the AI to better react to what the player does. I can remember back when I played FM, one year there was this tactical positioning you could use for corners that would yield loads of goals.

With regards to practice only thing I would actually want is to bowl to AI rather than an empty pitch.. Maybe give option against player or no player.. Gives an idea how AI plays when there's no field around..

Wonder if we're about to see more info, if the game is going to the Cricket Content Creators in September.

View attachment 282498
September 17 Wednesday which year is he talking about lol

May be he want to go live on 27th that's Wednesday lol

The game better be good for all the silence and less to nothing about the title from BA.

Not sure how far the game has come, but I would really like to wear sun glasses while bowling as a spinner during day games. It's in DBC14 and it was the latter game to have it.

No trailer till now means "BUG-ANTS" are not confident with the game and the game is still in development.

No trailer till now means "BUG-ANTS" are not confident with the game and the game is still in development.
Big ant always releases trailer on release day , not sure if you are aware of it.if you follow their previous titles that's the trend they follow

Users who are viewing this thread