Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah good point. That was a focus!

For me it's simple. Is there enough upgrades to make it feel different or at least fresher than what we had before as I exhausted 22.

licenses not so fussed about as we had the academy. So it's all down to the gameplay. As I said even a different scoreboard adds a fresh lick of paint.

Contrary to a lot of takes on here and what I suppose has been my own criticism I wouldn’t really mind it if this was just a really well polished Cricket 22 with gameplay enhancements and the raft of new licenses. Of course I’d love for bigger overhauls like Waste suggests but a lot of your suggestions aren’t really things that would come under big headline features yet would make a profound difference to the overall experience which I’d include in a well polished game.

Unfortunately I have no faith in them at the moment delivering said polish due to their inconsistent patching history and state of previous products. And since they’ve opted to make their first (and perhaps only?) dev diary focus on licenses rather than elaborate on any gameplay enhancements they would have done… I doubt that’s there either. I strongly suspect any requests about the same will be answered with the cryptic “we want you fellas to discover these hidden surprises for yourself when you play the game” that I’ve seen many other sports games do.
Post automatically merged:

Where in their promotional roadmap (such a bizarre concept) will the gameplay be featured?

It will be on October 5 when we will play the game and feature it ourselves. :goggle:

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Contrary to a lot of takes on here and what I suppose has been my own criticism I wouldn’t really mind it if this was just a really well polished Cricket 22 with gameplay enhancements and the raft of new licenses. Of course I’d love for bigger overhauls like Waste suggests but a lot of your suggestions aren’t really things that would come under big headline features yet would make a profound difference to the overall experience which I’d include in a well polished game.

Unfortunately I have no faith in them at the moment delivering said polish due to their inconsistent patching history and state of previous products. And since they’ve opted to make their first (and perhaps only?) dev diary focus on licenses rather than elaborate on any gameplay enhancements they would have done… I doubt that’s there either. I strongly suspect any requests about the same will be answered with the cryptic “we want you fellas to discover these hidden surprises for yourself when you play the game” that I’ve seen many other sports games do.
Post automatically merged:

It will be on October 5 when we will play the game and feature it ourselves. :goggle:

Don't get me wrong. I love 22 and have said numerous times. Really enjoy the game. Just on a personal note I need something fresh to spark the excitement again.

Maybe I'm getting old. But the excitement of a new cricket title was such a buzz for a cricket nut. I just can't see me playing this if the gameplay is by and large the same.

Not to say it won't be a good game though. Visually it looks identical. Warner looks like he weighs 8 stone.

caprikaps

Club Captain
100% calling it right now that there will be a spike in downloads for the Cricket 22 pitch slider spreadsheet once Cricket 24 drops and people plug them into Cricket 22 to see if they work.

Aside from that, I'm glad that there is at least some form of content out there (with a bit more to come), regardless of it's focus or the state of it. At least that way people have something to make an informed decision from about if they want to purchase day 1. I don't think that's too much to ask for from any size of game or release, or any kind of marketing strategy.

My two penn'orth on it is that licencing was an odd choice for initial focus considering given the incredible community work done release after release. What they've added to wasn't really a shortcoming. The stuff people do find the games to be missing haven't been mentioned, as of yet anyway.

But depending how much of a cynic you are, I would imagine there's been significant financial outlay to acquire the licences for all these teams and competitions in terms of rights fees, so that kind of dictates what needs to go front and centre for any kind of fan, especially the casual one. As Ross says to end the video "It is the most licenced cricket game ever."

It's up to folk to make up their own minds if acquiring licences was a needed outlay over other areas where that resource could have been used.
My two cents - they may have realized that fixing what is broken is beyond their reach, skillset, or capability, as they attempted it numerous times in Cricket 22, but each time they fixed one issue, something else broke. So, how does BA position a new game to make it appear fresh, different, and next-gen, claiming it's the best cricket game ever? They turned to licenses as the only way to justify essentially the same game with additional revenue.

Remember, New Zealand and West Indies teams were also supposedly licensed in Cricket 22, but were they truly licensed? We can't forget those unrealistic faces of the New Zealand players. I wouldn't be surprised if the gameplay, fielding, and animations are still problematic. The intention to fix these issues in this release doesn't seem to be there (from what we saw today).

We keep holding onto optimism only to end up disappointed.

PS: I've been playing FC24 for a couple of weeks, and it's safe to say that the gameplay has significantly improved, along with many other welcome updates. And no, it's not just another minor update strategy by EA; they genuinely seem to care about their customers, for whatever reasons!

Disharies

#ready2strike
RCB...
LQ
Sydney Thunder
Manchester Originals
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
Nepal
It felt like they tried the kits on cricket 22

Bevab

Staff Member
Don't get me wrong. I love 22 and have said numerous times. Really enjoy the game. Just on a personal note I need something fresh to spark the excitement again.

Maybe I'm getting old. But the excitement of a new cricket title was such a buzz for a cricket nut. I just can't see me playing this if the gameplay is by and large the same.

Not to say it won't be a good game though. Visually it looks identical. Warner looks like he weighs 8 stone.

22 has a really solid base IMO. When it clicks that game is the best in the series. Unfortunately it frequently doesn’t unless you tweak it a lot and you’re left with rummaging through sliders and skills trying to balance it for optimal gameplay at which point you wonder if it’s just sunk cost fallacy that tricks your mind into believing it’s a great experience because you can’t admit that you’re wasting time? :D

I still remember when my career batter scored a century on a minefield with a classic test innings that started off aggressively but had to slow down a lot because the opposition spinners bowled really well. It felt like a true achievement when I got to the three figure mark. It was of course cheapened when I batted in the second innings on full confidence from the first delivery and could play like it was a T20.

Likewise, my all-rounder once took seven wickets in a FC match and I felt the frustration that would have no doubt been felt by any player in reality because I was bowling more than I usually did since the others were bowling trash while I just bowled slightly better. It was also cheapened when I bowled even better in the next game but since the game had determined that it wasn’t yet time for the batter to get out and they also had to score they were edging the ball just where my slips weren’t and the balls always raced to the boundary irrespective of how plausible it should have been.

There are other things too like the quirky fielding being realistic at club level but increasingly jarring at international level, the same-y nature of the way the opposition bowls often to very similar fields and some batters just deciding they’d not get out and edge their way to a big score.

Jaded is probably the ideal word to describe your feeling, a lot of these feel like legacy bugs since a lot of them have all been around since the first game and some of them still remain unfixed or come up in new ways. With every new release it feels like a shinier coat of paint being applied on the same rusty old engine that is barely creaking by. I don’t know if a new engine is the answer to this, the same complaint is levied at Bethesda and they somehow still keep making things work just well enough. It’s why I’d rather have a new competitor in the cricket game dev scene, even if it’s someone who acts as the PES to BA’s Fifa like current stature they would force BA to innovate and improve the gameplay or make the game feel fresh instead of primarily focusing on implementing new licenses (which seems to be their aim since that Cricket 19 DLC).

Bevab

Staff Member
PS: I've been playing FC24 for a couple of weeks, and it's safe to say that the gameplay has significantly improved, along with many other welcome updates. And no, it's not just another minor update strategy by EA; they genuinely seem to care about their customers, for whatever reasons!
Off topic but…

I’d be extremely wary of Fifa’s cycle, having been in that loop myself years ago. The game on release is always good, feels similar to real life football with the more methodical nature of it… and then the pros and content creators throw their toys out of the pram because their shiny new FUT cards obtained after spending hundreds of dollars don’t run over everyone else like they wanted them to after which EA simply patches the game to become more arcade-y and bork the game’s AI to exaggerate the ‘skill difference’ as the pros call it over there.

As frustrating as BA’s patching cycle is for how abruptly it ends often with no real warning… they’ve mostly tried to improve their game with each one of them even if the intended result hasn’t always been that. Can’t say the same about EA.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
If the release version is similar to the way Cricket 22 finished at then we can for sure be happy because they would make the leap much better with patches because if we remember the release version of Cricket 22 was really bad but they made the game really good for how it released..
So I believe.. But with regards to pitch variations and deteriorations I really hope we get to see good work done in that area.. Along with impact on the different part of the bat and their shot force that generates and edges being faint on playing down wrong line, than timing always being the cause of causing one..

Wealey

ICC Board Member
22 has a really solid base IMO. When it clicks that game is the best in the series. Unfortunately it frequently doesn’t unless you tweak it a lot and you’re left with rummaging through sliders and skills trying to balance it for optimal gameplay at which point you wonder if it’s just sunk cost fallacy that tricks your mind into believing it’s a great experience because you can’t admit that you’re wasting time? :D

I still remember when my career batter scored a century on a minefield with a classic test innings that started off aggressively but had to slow down a lot because the opposition spinners bowled really well. It felt like a true achievement when I got to the three figure mark. It was of course cheapened when I batted in the second innings on full confidence from the first delivery and could play like it was a T20.

Likewise, my all-rounder once took seven wickets in a FC match and I felt the frustration that would have no doubt been felt by any player in reality because I was bowling more than I usually did since the others were bowling trash while I just bowled slightly better. It was also cheapened when I bowled even better in the next game but since the game had determined that it wasn’t yet time for the batter to get out and they also had to score they were edging the ball just where my slips weren’t and the balls always raced to the boundary irrespective of how plausible it should have been.

There are other things too like the quirky fielding being realistic at club level but increasingly jarring at international level, the same-y nature of the way the opposition bowls often to very similar fields and some batters just deciding they’d not get out and edge their way to a big score.

Jaded is probably the ideal word to describe your feeling, a lot of these feel like legacy bugs since a lot of them have all been around since the first game and some of them still remain unfixed or come up in new ways. With every new release it feels like a shinier coat of paint being applied on the same rusty old engine that is barely creaking by. I don’t know if a new engine is the answer to this, the same complaint is levied at Bethesda and they somehow still keep making things work just well enough. It’s why I’d rather have a new competitor in the cricket game dev scene, even if it’s someone who acts as the PES to BA’s Fifa like current stature they would force BA to innovate and improve the gameplay or make the game feel fresh instead of primarily focusing on implementing new licenses (which seems to be their aim since that Cricket 19 DLC).

If there is scope to tweak things after release I also have no doubt they will.

I remember spending hours with one of the devs last year stopping the last ball smash and the AI going lofted once in the 30's.

We will never no the constraints etc that go on behind the scenes.

I just find it hard to justify little things like Warner still right handed. It almost seems careless to ignore that.

I do fear the current build engine or whatever it may be may be at its limits for what it can do..

For example I expect to still see rocket edges.

sahibosaurus

Club Captain
Cricket 22 is a solid game in most aspects but the fatal flaw is fielding. I can't believe we're in the year 2023 and the only game that represents our sport has such an awful fielding system. Most devs who care about quality would scrap it altogether and start over. Everything within the circle is a guaranteed direct hit, ball receivers take an eternity to break the stumps, stumpings are non existent, a fielder at the boundary takes a catch but steps over the boundary line resulting in a six. It's shocking and sours your mood playing an otherwise good game.

You can get as many licenses as you want but you will never get 'realism' or 'immersion' if you're not able to emulate one of the most important parts of the sport in your game. Cricket games from 15-20 years ago did a better job at this than 22 does.

Users who are viewing this thread