- tweaked simulation parameters for all formats
- added some extra sim parameters
- added lighting for 3D mode
- tweaked commentary output

To-do:

- fix crash when using custom teams
- rework commentary engine
- investigate outstanding issues raised by itay128

I'll actually write you up a load of commentary text you can use at some point. Almost free again after today :) I am an English student who writes after all. I'm pretty sloppy on here, but I've edited various school and University papers in my life. Not to mention that when this fact got out I was then designated proof reader for just about everyone I knew :p

----------

I'll keep it succint and accurate though :p

No... "It's fast, short and wide outside off-stump. The batsman rocks back, before playing and missing with all the grace of a lumberjack wafting away a pungent fart."

That would be fantastic! I need to rethink the commentary engine before then though. It's a mini-parser that puts together short sentences at the moment (and the results aren't great to be honest).

----------

No... "It's fast, short and wide outside off-stump. The batsman rocks back, before playing and missing with all the grace of a lumberjack wafting away a pungent fart."

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It's very early days on that though, so when you say the results aren't great, I'd suggest combined with what you have accomplished already, they're actually quite remarkable. As I've said, there's so many layers to this game, I am actually quite staggered it's just you working on it.

I wouldn't say I'm the only one working on it - the community here's been fantastic. The uptake's been a bit slow, but the feedback in the last 3 months or so has been excellent. There are tons of areas I've neglected in favour of the action mode and some very dedicated people here have called me out on it (in a very polite way) :)

That being said, it's back to the grind stone for now.

I think I'd demand a special section for Chris Martin, phrases such as.

"The new batsman is Chris Martin, and as he approaches the crease, his partner helpfully informs him he is holding the bat the wrong way around."

"They're 9 down now, and with Martin coming to the crease... actually why bother, just go get a cuppa and we'll see you in 10 minutes for the next innings."

----------

Oh yeah I know you've got some very helpful beta testers (I will get probably soon get involved on that front too) but on a coding level it's all you, which is very impressive.

As I haven't been able to check lately, is it now possible for me to enter the code with my keyboard when using the controller? Ta :)

Yeah, Kurt has been doing a tremendous job. Love this so far (it runs smooth on my machine now, so yeah! :p)

It's a mini-parser that puts together short sentences at the moment (and the results aren't great to be honest).
Yeah, that's what I thought. Instead of those mini lines, we can have what I put on earlier. Will actually look good. I'm free as well if you want help in the commentary lines. No where near the capability of PD but, I can do a fair job. :D

To add to that, I've been interested from first looking at it, just because you have prioritised the important aspects such as the gameplay and foundations before going down the route of making complicated 3D models like some other shambles I could mention from here haha Could tell how young and naive some of the members were by the fact they couldn't tell straight away that TAOC was a complete no starter.

Mmmm, I have tried so many times to get this game going as I would love to give it a whirl. As soon as it comes to the end of making pitch textures it crashes. This is the info I get back:

RUN @ 21-5-2012 8:43:32
VERSION: 1.44
PROFILE: dutchad
MESSAGE: Value of '-2147483648' is not valid for 'red'. 'red' should be greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 255.
STACK TRACE: at System.Drawing.Color.CheckByte(Int32 value, String name)
at System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(Int32 alpha, Int32 red, Int32 green, Int32 blue)
at System.Drawing.Color.FromArgb(Int32 red, Int32 green, Int32 blue)
at Cricket.Main.GameObject.Field.Generate(PitchDescription pd, Boolean hide, GameMode mode)
at Cricket.Main.GameStateVenueSelection.ProcessInput(Single ms)
at Cricket.Main.GameInstance.Loop()
at Cricket.Main.Game.Main(String[] args)

This means about as much to me as customer service does to the Syrian government but hopefully someone will be able to see what is happening.....

@dutchad: Thanks for the report, I'll fix that up in the next update (hopefully a mini one tonight).

@User2010: Sure, let me draw up a guide for commentary and you can go nuts :)

@puddleduck: It's tough convincing people that you don't need AAA quality graphics. TAOC's failure was inevitable, but very sad. It would be fantastic if I could marry their art assets with CH though.

I can do commentary too:

"His muscles bulged and strained as he fought with the demons whirling inside of him. The shallow swirling mist seemd to mock his futile attempts of concentration. Hammers pounded on the inner most shrine of certainty as he saw the nemesis of his destiny steaming towards him with the passion and anger of the teeming hordes of hell itself......................and its no run......"

I can do commentary too:

"His muscles bulged and strained as he fought with the demons whirling inside of him. The shallow swirling mist seemd to mock his futile attempts of concentration. Hammers pounded on the inner most shrine of certainty as he saw the nemesis of his destiny steaming towards him with the passion and anger of the teeming hordes of hell itself......................and its no run......"

Guessing that's McGrath just after a dropped catch and getting hit for four the following ball haha

----------

(I realise you're doing it from the Batsman's perspective) :p

----------

@ kurtz - The boom of the mobile gaming market and things like social networking games has actually pushed people back towards quick accessability though which is good. You only have to look at the amount of retro style games and Indie producers at the moment who are reverting to old pixel art and simplistic graphical interfaces. Of course it doesn't work for everyone, and the 16bit pixel art is now being overdone, but the market is definitely more welcoming at the moment. An art style that works and is well thought out often lasts and endures far longer than anything that attempts to be photo-realistic and is subsequently superceded by the next game that comes out. FIFA 94 once looked and played like the real thing :rolleyes

Agreed, low poly and pixel art seem to be in vogue again (incidentally, both are right up my alley). I think the opposite is true for sports-game fans, though and I can understand their gripes. Immersion is a big thing for most even though I don't think any sports game has managed to get it right.

That's because you haven't played MLB 12: The Show. Incredible, and I only have a partial interest in Baseball :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread