Daniel Vettori Hints At Ball Tampering

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Look Vettori obviously had his suspicions and why not?? He'd never seen the ball reverse that early and he owed it to the rest of his team to at least ask the match referee if he'd noticed anything unusual. When he got the answer 'no', he took it no further and praised Gul's bowling. Vettori did exactly what I'd want my captain to do.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Allright here is the article, which is mentioning Vettori's interview:
The confounding Mr Gul | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

I actually surfed now on cricinfo and bumped into this article:

Umar deserves praise not suspicion
Cricinfo - Blogs - Pak Spin

'Hence, the whiff of suspicion created by Daniel Vettori and some journalists is a disgrace. Why is it that when a man in green produces something special the immediate reaction is to cast doubt on that achievement? If it had been another country then the issue would not even have been raised.

Grow up boys, we've had twenty years of this nonsense and we're sick and tired of it. Your sour grapes have become rancid.'

I didn't understand why the author of the article wrote such stuff on what Vettori said. But maybe if you look at the video interview itself it gives some more information.

looks like you lot who are in denial are morons,
read these articles

Pakistan reported for ball tampering?
Umar's reverse swing sparks new debate

The annoying thing is that Vettori actually went to the ICC match referee to report Gul. Luckily the match referee denied his request.

may be some moron should have provided the link on the 1st post, rather then writing his stupid opinions

These links to the articles he has posted are today's date. He couldn't have posted them earlier. In the USA it isn't even Monday 15 June 2009 yet. But he could posted the first link I posted.

ZexyZahid added 5 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Look Vettori obviously had his suspicions and why not?? He'd never seen the ball reverse that early and he owed it to the rest of his team to at least ask the match referee if he'd noticed anything unusual. When he got the answer 'no', he took it no further and praised Gul's bowling. Vettori did exactly what I'd want my captain to do.

And who says he went first to the match referee and then gave his interview (was it during a press conference?)? Maybe he gave his interview and then went to the match referee.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
And who says he went first to the match referee and then gave his interview (was it during a press conference?)? Maybe he gave his interview and then went to the match referee.

Well that favours Vettori apologists even more: He showed some admirable restraint in his press conference then if in his head he was already planning his complaint to the match referee.

Anyway, Vettori can't report Gul, he can only make a polite inquiry. Captains don't run the game, the umpires and match referees do. And nobody saw anything, not even Vettori - all he did was ask if anyone had seen anything. Which as I mentioned earlier, is only fair given what happened in the game.

I think the real blame here lies with journalists reading between the lines too much. It's a non-story.

shubhrayu

International Coach
Well...Pakistan are having a history regarding Doping and Ball-tampering so won't be surprised if they did it!!!

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
Well...Pakistan are having a history regarding Doping and Ball-tampering so won't be surprised if they did it!!!
i knew some indians would come hijack the thread looking for racist arguments.
fair enough india went out yesterday but that doesnt mean you gotta take it out on pakistan.
wasnt it england that threw you out?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Hoy, he's only stating a fact. It's not just conjecture either, I remember a few years ago Waqar and Azhar Mahmood did it very visibly on TV and Waqar got suspended for a game because of it.

But India aren't blameless either. Saw the footage of it on youtube the other day, Dravid rubbing a lozenger/lolly/mint/whatever on the ball to get it swinging.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
i knew some indians would come hijack the thread looking for racist arguments.
fair enough india went out yesterday but that doesnt mean you gotta take it out on pakistan.
wasnt it england that threw you out?
why are you feeling so insecure brother?
what shubhrayu said is absolutely right.but then again,i think umer gul is a good professional and won't do such dirty things.

may be shahid afridi or shoaib malik did that work and gul didn't know it.:D
yeah.England beat us.so what? good for them.they played better and thus deserved to win :cheers

bcvstheworld added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

and daniel vettori doesn't make lame excuses contrary to what you think.
he's a great sportsman.

shubhrayu

International Coach
@ gambino:I never found anything racial in what I said.Pakistan has done things like ball Tampering and all......And I am not getting anything out on Pakistan.Man we've already thrashed them before T20 WC began.....

valvolux

Club Cricketer
I've seen the red ball start to reverse after 8 overs, so there's no reason why the white ball couldn't reverse after 12. Umar Gul's an excellent exponent of reverse swing, and his action allows him to generate reverse swing without the need to ball tamper. Pretty petty accusations really, like Smith moaning about Broad's pointing antics yet Shaun Pollock used to do the exact same thing =/

That wouldn't of been in the ashes 2005 would it? Perhaps Gul got in contact with Tresco and found out where to buy the mints!

naresh091

International Cricketer
Hoy, he's only stating a fact. It's not just conjecture either, I remember a few years ago Waqar and Azhar Mahmood did it very visibly on TV and Waqar got suspended for a game because of it.

But India aren't blameless either. Saw the footage of it on youtube the other day, Dravid rubbing a lozenger/lolly/mint/whatever on the ball to get it swinging.
Can you get me a link to that video.I searched for it in youtube,but in that video,its quite clear that he was applying only spit to make the ball shine.I do know we were accused of ball tampering though.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
In this article it was written that Vettori had a press conference and then went to the match referee. They've updated the article with Vettori's new comments and have changed it a bit. Like the PCB chairman, I didn't expect this from Vettori. Also Lawson was mentioning that some New Zealand bowlers were getting some reserve swing as well at the end of the innings. Anyway, Vettori has no problem with Gul's bowling now, so that's the end of the discussion.

Gul matter behind us - Vettori
George Binoy
June 15, 2009

Daniel Vettori, the New Zealand captain, has said he "raised a couple of concerns" with the on-field umpires and the match referee regarding Umar Gul's bowling during the Super Eights game against Pakistan but had put the matter behind him after the officials had "no issues at all with the state of the ball".

At the press conference after the game, Vettori expressed his surprise over the amount of reverse swing Gul was getting as early as the 12th over. He informally sought out Ranjan Madugalle, the match referee, to ask whether he was satisfied over Gul swinging the ball legitimately.

There was also strong criticism from Ijaz Butt, the PCB chairman, over Vettori's comments. "I didn't expect it from a cricketer like Vettori," he told Cricinfo. "I have a lot of respect for him, but he made a statement which is uncalled for. [Gul] would never do a thing like this."

Geoff Lawson, the former Pakistan coach, was commentating on Saturday's match at The Oval and noted that several New Zealand pacemen achieved subtle reverse swing towards the end of their innings.

Gul matter behind us - Vettori | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

ZexyZahid added 4 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Now I see this article is a new one. He is another one which was posted also today. He first had a press conference and then went to the match referee.

No issues with Gul's bowling, officials told Vettori
Alex Brown and Nagraj Gollapudi
June 15, 2009

Vettori raised eyebrows when he told reporters after the match he had never before seen a bowler achieve reverse swing after 12 overs of a Twenty20 match. He then sought out Ranjan Madugalle, the match referee, to ask whether he was satisfied Gul swung the ball legitimately.

No issues with Gul's bowling, officials told Vettori | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
That wouldn't of been in the ashes 2005 would it? Perhaps Gul got in contact with Tresco and found out where to buy the mints!

No. In India recently Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma got the ball to reverse consistently after about 8-10 overs. Was very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread