Darren Pattinson and Andy Murray - English sporting hypocrisy?

Are England hypocrites? (Note the absence of an unfunny random third option, it's enough with that!)

• Total voters
Why? If you moved after six months you would have no recolection of being in the place you were born. Sure be proud of your roots, your descendants etc could be born there but you may not even know the language of your country so why would you consider yourself that nationality?

And if we are talking sportspeople if you move to a different country at a young age you are obviously going to have to have the help of the national association that you moved to. Take the example of Laura Robson; she was born in Australia to an Aussie mother but a Biritish farther. and moved to Singapore at 18 months. She then moved to Britain at the age of 4. When it was clear she was very talented at tennis she obviously needed the support of the LTA (the Australian Tennis Asscoiation being thousands of miles away and powerless to do anything) so she has used the training facilities the LTA has given her all her life. What is she going to do then I wonder? Represent the country she spent 18 months of her life in or represent the country that she has made her home and given her lots of support in terms of money and facilities?

Sport can in many ways unite a nation; but can also cause hatred with other nations and bring these nationalistic views.
I don't hate another nation on this earth. The Laura Robson case is hollow because in my view she is British on grounds of her father.

Jelena Dokic is one I am thinking of. Born in Croatia, spent some time in Australia before moving to Serbia, but has decided to represent Australia at tennis. Wouldn't happen if I was in charge.

In charge of what exactly? I don't see why Jelena should be forced to represent a country where she is probably scared to step foot in again because of her horrendous father.

Lewis Hamilton I believe is Scottish. But the English media, including BBC, comfortably refer to him as a "Briton" or "British driver", this after using "English" for the likes of Jenson Button before.

I think it is the same case for Andy Murray now. From English Henman to British Murray.

Hypocrisy? You bet.

Different sports use the "Great Britain"/"United Kingdom" banners or the "England", "Scotland etc. banners. Which ones do and which don't is, admittedly, rather haphazardly done. Taking the tennis example though, Andy Murray has competed in a number of Davis Cup matches. Who did he compete for then? Scotland? Nope, Great Britain. In Tennis it is indeed GB and not England/Scotland who are represented.

And whilst many people from Australia may see Henman as being called "English" and Murray as "British", I actually don't think there is as much a distinction as that. Murray's Scottish background is regularly used to describe him and similarly I remember Henman described as carrying "British hopes" and other similar references to Britain, not just England. To say that Murray is referred to solely as British and Henman solely as English is inaccurate based on what I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread