Darts Thread

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I think it's almost the other way round. Most people don't know the PDC exists and from the BBC coverage you'd think there was only one world championship and one world champion. Personally I don't see how the BDO can continue to hemorrhage talent. The Adams' and Hankeys' are few and far between and most players switch as soon as it suits their career.

Englishandproud

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it's almost the other way round. Most people don't know the PDC exists and from the BBC coverage you'd think there was only one world championship and one world champion. Personally I don't see how the BDO can continue to hemorrhage talent. The Adams' and Hankeys' are few and far between and most players switch as soon as it suits their career.

I still think that most casual darts supporters think that there is only the PDC out there as you ask any person in the street to name a couple of darts players names and they will always give PDC players names.

The BBC BDO tournament is and always will be the original darts world champion series as it's the one that started first and has seen a number of great players come through the ranks in its time.

I disagree about talent as each year the BDO seems to unearth a new star, look out for Dave Chisnall this year, such as Webster, Whitlock et al over the past few years.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
The reason you'll find most PDC players getting mentioned is because the majority start in the BDO (where the majority of people can watch on tele for free) and move to the PDC. Most of them had success in the BDO as well will be known for that. I've always stood by the BDO tournament, but the last couple 2-3 years have been poor, but none worse than this year in terms of the overall standed. Don't get me wrong, there are still some good players around, but the only way to make a career out of darts is to play in the PDC, it's where the money is.

The way the PDC has grown in recent years now means, to me at least, the true world champion comes from that tournament. There's no way the likes of Hankey, Adams and co would be world champions had they switched over. Hankey failed to get out of the group in the Grand Slam. Only Anderson (twice in the semi's), Whitlock (gave Taylor a run for his money) and Scott Waites (made the 09 final) have made a real impression at the Grand Slam against the PDC players. Both Anderson and Whitlock are in the PDC now.

Darts badly needs to be one organisation again.

PDC top 32 going into the WC:
1. Phil Taylor - 2 x BDO WC champion
2. Raymond van Barneveld - 4 x BDO WC champion
3. James Wade - known more for PDC performance, 2nd round BDO WC 2004
4. John Part - 1 x BDO WC champion
5. Mervyn King - 2 x finalist BDO WC, 2004 WM champion
6. Terry Jenkins - PDC
7. Ronnie Baxter - 2 x BDO WC finalist
8. Adrian Lewis - PDC
9. Dennis Priestley - 1991 BDO champion
10. Colin Lloyd - PDC
11. Colin Osborne - PDC
12. Alan Tabern - BDO player in 2004, PDC since 2005
13. Mark Walsh - PDC
14. Andy Hamilton - PDC
15. Kevin Painter - BDO WC QF twice
16. Robert Thornton - BDO WC QF twice
17. Wayne Mardle - BDO SF 2001
18. Vincent van der Voort - BDO QF 2005
19. Steve Beaton - 1996 BDO champion
20. Peter Manley - 1 x BDO World Masters QF
21. Mark Dudbridge - 2002 BDO World Masters champion
22. Wayne Jones - 1 x BDO WC QF
23. Denis Ovens - Known more for PDC performances, started in BDO
24. Jelle Klaasen - 2006 BDO WC
25. Wes Newton - PDC
26. Jamie Caven - Known more for PDC performances, started in BDO
27. Andy Smith - PDC
28. Co Stomp? - 1 x BDO WC SF
29. Kirk Shepherd - Known for reaching 2008 PDC final, started in BDO
30. Michael van Gerwen - 2006 BDO World Masters champion
31. Tony Eccles - 1 x BDO WC QF
32. Roland Scholten - 1 x BDO WC SF

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Is it telecast regularly on TV in England? I think here they only show it after 12:00 AM...

Englishandproud

Club Cricketer
Last night showed that the BDO format is still alive and kicking and can be a match for the PDC everyday of the week. Newcomer Dave Chisnall was 4-1 down at the break to current champion Ted Hankey. Chisnall produced a stunning comback though and beat Hankey 5-4 to progress into the semi-final. It was a great comeback and a great advert for darts.

For the person who said earlier in the thread that there probably wouldn't be 100 180's in the whole tournament well there was 19 last night in just this one game!!

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Ok, that was an exceptional match from Chisnall. Just blew away the number 1 seed.
Off to the PDC next week then...

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Got to love how unpolished he is in the press conferences. Like getting blood out a stone.

"How much do you think you've grown as a player this week Dave?"
"I don't know"
"Well it's clear to us that you're a totally different player. What about your family who've come all this way to support you? Do you have a message for them?"
"I don't know"

Love it.

Manly

Thor
David Croft is not a good commentator on darts.

If Adams' leg was long enough he'd be kicking his own rear end.

I'm sorry, what?

But yeah, Chisnall is not a good interviewee :p

Englishandproud

Club Cricketer
A good final, one which looked like being a stroll for Matin Adams at the start as he raced into a 3-0 set lead. But Dave Chisnall eventually clawed his way back into the game and gave it a real good go but evenerytime he got himself within touching distance of Adams he had three poor arrows swinging it back Wolfie's way.

He is a relative newcomer to this kind of coverage so a lack of interview skills is perhaps to be expected. Look at what Wayne Rooney was like when he first got interviwed after bursting onto the scene, one or two words at best was all that Rooney could give to an answer.

Good luck to the lad I say. I think the last week of sarts still shows the BDO is alive and kicking and there were certainly some great matched in the quarter and semi-finals.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Got to love how unpolished he is in the press conferences. Like getting blood out a stone.

"How much do you think you've grown as a player this week Dave?"
"I don't know"
"Well it's clear to us that you're a totally different player. What about your family who've come all this way to support you? Do you have a message for them?"
"I don't know"

Love it.

:laugh He's definitely not going to be the next big personality of Darts that's for sure. I liked his interview after the 1st Round game best though, when once it had finished he just got up and walked straight in front of the camera. Genius.

Users who are viewing this thread