DBC17 press

I don't know why any sport in existence wouldn't want a game like fifa giving exposure to there brand, roping in new fans - Brand exposure. Its got me beat why sports like tennis, cricket, and even afl, aren't more willing to give support from the top of there respective sports, surely fifa is setting the example on how video games are swaying the youth towards there sport, same goes for NBA 2k and the madden series, hope in the future the icc, itf, and afl (Im sure theres other sports too) open there eyes to the potential of video games. So i guess i do agree with the articles sentiment, not necessarily the criticism on dbc 16 lol, atleast cricket has its foot in the door when the top dogs "eventually" switch on to the potential brand power of video gaming.

Last edited:
I don't know why any sport in existence wouldn't want a game like fifa giving exposure to there brand, roping in new fans - Brand exposure. Its got me beat why sports like tennis, cricket, and even afl, aren't more willing to give support from the top of there respective sports, surely fifa is setting the example on how video games are swaying the youth towards there sport, same goes for NBA 2k and the madden series, hope in the future the icc, itf, and afl (Im sure theres other sports too) open there eyes to the potential of video games. So i guess i do agree with the articles sentiment, not necessarily the criticism on dbc 16 lol, atleast cricket has its foot in the door when the top dogs "eventually" switch on to the potential brand power of video gaming.

IMO the main reason is cricket video gaming isn't lucrative enough. ICC doesn't care about it in the same sense FIFA or NFL do as those games net millions of dollars. Knowing ICC they wouldn't budge unless they think they can grab some easy cash.

IMO the main reason is cricket video gaming isn't lucrative enough. ICC doesn't care about it in the same sense FIFA or NFL do as those games net millions of dollars. Knowing ICC they wouldn't budge unless they think they can grab some easy cash.

Oh yeah, well giles clarke, the filthy rich texan, and the winner takes all match swindle is a perfect example of that isnt it lol

Oh yeah, well giles clarke, the filthy rich texan, and the winner takes all match swindle is a perfect example of that isnt it lol

It would take BCCI, ECB and ACB, or at the very least BCCI to pitch licensing a video game as a marketing and revenue generating tool for the future but I don't hold out much hope.

BCCI - They don't care in long term planning and won't do anything unless they see major payout in the short term. They already have IPL as their cash cow and don't care about anything else.

ECB - Run by a bunch of oldies who probably think video game is a toy for kids and treat it as such.

ACB - The only body out of the three which would at least get it.

These 3 essentially run ICC and will need backing of these 3 for something meaningful to happen.

Is it really that way around though? The video game (FIFA) helping football's popularity? Maybe a little in regions where football isn't so popular like the USA, but it's always been huge in the UK regardless of video games.

And I really doubt that the FIFA organisation or any governing body of football (and likely other sports) have allowed their licenses to be used in video games for the growth and long term health of the sport. They have been paid handsomely by the likes of EA for the privilege, and EA do this because it's in the interests and helps the profitability of their product/business. There is no subsidising or plan in place from the top of football to ensure a good video game and I wouldn't expect cricket to do the same.

I get the impression that cricket is losing popularity in terms of participation and following in the UK. I imagine it's a similar story in Australia, and the places with the populations to make a cricket video game very lucrative (India/Pakistan/Bangladesh) have too high a proportion unwilling or unable to pay for it due to poverty or cultural reasons.

Actually @Madman there was little to no license fees paid to FIFA in the early days and the first versions were nearly canned by EA on many occasions. It is a major marketing strategy by FIFA.

FIFA has had an extraordinary effect on the spread of soccer with youth, my kids do not know player names of local football teams but know most players in EPL teams.

Actually @Madman there was little to no license fees paid to FIFA in the early days and the first versions were nearly canned by EA on many occasions. It is a major marketing strategy by FIFA.

FIFA has had an extraordinary effect on the spread of soccer with youth, my kids do not know player names of local football teams but know most players in EPL teams.
Then what is the actual stand of ICC on this matter! As a developer you must be having some knowledge. Care to share those?

And I can say same with Madden franchise and NFL. Madden is so ingrained in the North American pop culture that I've met people who are into Madden but don't watch football/NFL that much, and also a few who didn't even know who John Madden is! ICC can do so as well and treat it as an investment that will help grow the sport and add an additional revenue stream in the long run.

And I can say same with Madden franchise and NFL. Madden is so ingrained in the North American pop culture that I've met people who are into Madden but don't watch football/NFL that much, and also a few who didn't even know who John Madden is! ICC can do so as well and treat it as an investment that will help grow the sport and add an additional revenue stream in the long run.
Anyway of reaching ICC and share these facts?

Then what is the actual stand of ICC on this matter! As a developer you must be having some knowledge. Care to share those?

Let me summarize it for you...

Ross: I can help you promote the game of cricket and help you create a sustainable revenue stream x years down the road but initially I will need your support in terms of player licensing. Over time we, as well as the game of cricket, can benefit from the agreement.

ICC: That will cost you $X million dollars.

Let me summarize it for you...

Ross: I can help you promote the game of cricket and help you create a sustainable revenue stream x years down the road but initially I will need your support in terms of player licensing. Over time we, as well as the game of cricket, can benefit from the agreement.

ICC: That will cost you $X million dollars.
Was hoping to hear something new! ICC hasn't been able to make cricket a global sports yet only because of their stubbornness. Is there anyway to persuade them to do what is beneficial for cricket? May be lobbying/reaching them on personal level?

Was hoping to hear something new! ICC hasn't been able to make cricket a global sports yet only because of their stubbornness. Is there anyway to persuade them to do what is beneficial for cricket? May be lobbying/reaching them on personal level?

You are talking about a body that actually reduced the number of nations for the world cup to 10 and literally told the associates "You guys don't matter but keep playing cricket anyway". I thought FIFA was a poor governing body but they don't hold a candle in front of ICC. A frog in a well is more farsighted than the folks heading ICC.

Thats interesting about FIFA - I had assumed that the surging popularity of football was more down to the EPL, other major leagues and the teams themselves becoming huge brands exported all around the world, with the FIFA games becoming so successful as a byproduct of that. I didn't know FIFA used it as a strategy for the sport.

I could understand the ECB and ACB being a little reluctant to allow anyone to use their likeness after the horror show that was AC13... That damaged the image of cricket gaming and made a mockery of the sport itself. It just became a laughing stock. Saw a few videos on YouTube gaming channels basically just taking the piss out of the sport.

DBC obviously does the sport justice though and hopefully at some point BA can capture some licenses. Although the Academy allows us to modify the game so extensively and Bradman is an absolute legend of the game, perhaps more of the casual cricket fans and press would be swayed by licensed content... Although anything carrying the Ashes name is likely to still be tarnished by means of association...

You are talking about a body that actually reduced the number of nations for the world cup to 10 and literally told the associates "You guys don't matter but keep playing cricket anyway". I thought FIFA was a poor governing body but they don't hold a candle in front of ICC. A frog in a well is more farsighted than the folks heading ICC.
Cricket is actually losing it's charm gradually. Introduction of variety in formats worked really well. But how many times can you bring newer formats. They ain't doing anything productive for the benefit of cricket. Games are the best ways of targeting the youth for sports games. It's really hard to believe that ICC don't have anyone having a decent knowledge about marketing.

Cricket never lost it's charm. It's beautiful as always and always will be. If have a doubt then watch a test match played in India, Australia or England and you will know.

Users who are viewing this thread