Dean Jones keen to coach India

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Dean Jones keen to coach India

May 02, 2005 21:14 IST

India captain Sourav Ganguly may be going through the worst phase of his cricketing career, but Dean Jones feels the left-handed batsman must follow some simple rules to tide over the crisis.

Jones, who is in Abu Dhabi in connection with the tsunami relief cricket tournament, advised Ganguly to re-analyse his goals to come out of the testing time he is facing.

"I think probably he is a bit tired. It's high time that he must re-analyse his dreams and goals," Jones said.

The Australian, however, refused to be drawn into the debate whether Ganguly should be allowed to captain India in view of his poor run with the bat.

"I can't speak on captaincy. That's for the selectors to think about," he said.

Jones, a former Australian middle-order batsman, also said he is keen to coach the Indian team and exuded confidence that he can help the Indians scale new heights.

He appreciated the work of John Wright, whose stint came to an end after the series against Pakistan, but said much needs to be done with the Indian team to improve its performance.

"I will make attempts to bring the best out of them. Wright has definitely taken the players to a new level. He had that passion in him. But still improvement has to be made.

"Before every match you must do several things, which is not happening. We have to change that. It's about thinking about the game," Jones said.

If given a chance, he said he would work on several areas with special emphasis on preparing the team.

"What I can bring in is preparation. Preparing well before each and every assignment is necessary to do well. It would be my duty to ensure that they understand their role," he said.

"They must know about their opponents, know well about the weaknesses and strength. I have to get everything work together."

Jones said fitness is also of paramount importance for any team to be successful at the highest level.

"They will be fit. So fit, you won't believe it."

With India's performance dipping in one-dayers, Jones said the team must rotate its batting order and can even ask players like Yuvraj Singh or Mohammed Kaif to open the innings occasionally.

"Sachin Tendulkar should not open all the while. You have to rotate (your batting order) when you get to a low."

The Australian also asked to keep up the spirit of 'Team India' but added the players must hold themselves accountable for their performance.

"It's not that my team, but our team. It has to be Team India. It's quite natural when some make runs and others don't. At the same time all the team has to be accountable

Rediff.com

Doesnt this guy sound very interesting? What he says is true. Preparation is important before each game. I would consider this guy in my list of coaches India should grab!

vibs89

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
saisrini80 said:
Doesnt this guy sound very interesting? What he says is true. Preparation is important before each game. I would consider this guy in my list of coaches India should grab!

True Sai this sounds intrestting. He comes with new idea about rotating the batting order by sending Yuvraj and Kaif in opening. May be Dean Jones feels that i can bring up India to high level by thinking of new idea and all. Well let's hope Gangully comes back in form and he has full confidence. So maybe the India can change better and come up in the rank up. Who Know's. God know's it wheather the team India change or it doesn't change. :)

sid098in

Club Cricketer
maybe he is the best bet.
hezzzz pretty young compared to greg chappel

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
vibs89 said:
True Sai this sounds intrestting. He comes with new idea about rotating the batting order by sending Yuvraj and Kaif in opening. May be Dean Jones feels that i can bring up India to high level by thinking of new idea and all. Well let's hope Gangully comes back in form and he has full confidence. So maybe the India can change better and come up in the rank up. Who Know's. God know's it wheather the team India change or it doesn't change. :)

Actually, your message sounds a bit sarcastic of him. anyways, i have had some respect for him since i find him to be an aggressive guy.. A coach who is aggressive should work with our team. our team needs the aggression to win matches. if we can incalculate some preparation for the games and add aggression, we might be a force to reckon with!

MWaugh

International Coach
if you cant beat the best, join them - ie an aussie

sachin

International Coach
I'd be careful,he might try and sabotage the team when they play Australia,no, wait, India is already very good at that.He won't have to do a thing!lol

MWaugh

International Coach
sachin said:
I'd be careful,he might try and sabotage the team when they play Australia,no, wait, India is already very good at that.He won't have to do a thing!lol

haha good point. he may just give everyone a good swift reality check

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I'm not sure about Dean Jones as a coach. I dunno why but I would be much safer with a Chappell than with a Dean Jones. May have something to do with the fact that Jones has commentated quite a lot on ESPN Star and I don't exactly find it right that a commentator goes get a coaching job.

However, I am not aware of Deano's previous coaching experience or his performance as a cricketer, so maybe my judgment is baseless.

MWaugh

International Coach
i dont think the fact that someone commentates makes a difference. if the person has grown up not playing cricket at the highest level (or a very high level anyway eg- state level or county) then they would have learnt some tricks of the trade and learnt of their coaches. fortunatly players like jones, and now players like taylor, healy, waugh and all of those under bob simpson and john buchanan will probably make very decent coaches because they have learnt from very good coaches.

and last i heard mark taylors sons u/10 cricket team was 1 win 0 losses with the australian captain in charge... so who knows!

squiz

International Coach
sohummisra said:
I'm not sure about Dean Jones as a coach. I dunno why but I would be much safer with a Chappell than with a Dean Jones. May have something to do with the fact that Jones has commentated quite a lot on ESPN Star and I don't exactly find it right that a commentator goes get a coaching job.

However, I am not aware of Deano's previous coaching experience or his performance as a cricketer, so maybe my judgment is baseless.
If you don't find it right that a commentator gets a coaching job then why do you want Chappell? He once commentated for Channel Nine, and now commentates for ABC I believe

ravigoteti

Club Cricketer
Dean Jones is also a good choice, lol! the BCCI has not yet started selection yet! So lets see, Aussies in list this time. Tom Moody, Dean Jones and Chappell, and then D.Whatmore.

Users who are viewing this thread