Dec 26-30: 4th Test - Australia v England at Melbourne

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
India have truely passed on the baton of most delusional fans.

"Shield is the best FC comp, it's the selectors that got it wrong, if it were me selecting the side we'd be beating everyone." I mean :/

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
That was Johnson clicking. When he does, he's unplayable, I'm not denying that, but consistent he is not.
Oh, and Harris did really well, which I said in the first post.

Yes no doubt consistently in Johnsons problem. But your suggestion that he is only good "one in every 10 games" is way over the top.

That the India game where he didn't take a wicket second time around, when India won by a single wicket? Seems to lack consistency there.

Did you actually watch him bowl in that test?. Just because he didn't take a wicket in that 2nd innings means he bowled poorly. He had a very solid series in India all-round.

It's not like he's been let down by the fielders, with chances all over the place is it? Look, I think he's a decent bowler when conditions suit and can keep it tight, but can he get good batsmen out on good pitches? Doesn't look like it in this series. My main point was that I was told at the start of this series how much better he was than Anderson. I know which I'd rather have.

Hilfenahus odly seem to not be getting his trademark swing this series. Which could be his problem currently.

You ask if he can get batsmen out on good pitches. Well as i said, in india recently on flatter pitches againts a better batting line-up that ENG he was the main reason why Sehwag didn't get away. So his struggles for possible technical reasons this series, is a bit of a quandary.

He probably needs to go away like Johnson did after Brisbane & work on some technical stuff with the bowling coach on his action, wrist position etc..

Before this series. Hilfenhaus certainly had done more on flat wickets than Anderson & had showed he was a more impressive bowler when the ball isn't swinging than Jimmy. Lets not forget in the 2009 Ashes Hilfy was solid in all conditions while Anderson noticeably struggled to trouble AUS batsmen when it stop swininging. Plus in S Africa last winter, Anderson also looked ineffective when it stopped swinging.

Anderson this series has finally displayed those skills. Although i might add, he has bowled on some fairly helpul pitches in AUS this Ashes. The first session @ MCG resembled the conditions he was destroying PAK @ home this summer for eg..

I think he's pretty good actually. I'd be more worried about him playing than any of the other pace bowlers. He seemed to go for a few once and hasn't been seen again, which is weird considering his record, especially against left handers, when you consider Strauss and Cook doing so well with the bat.

Agreed. He would be playing if the selectors didn't complicate his situation this series. Should be in the best AUS test XI going forward.

----------

India have truely passed on the baton of most delusional fans.

"Shield is the best FC comp, it's the selectors that got it wrong, if it were me selecting the side we'd be beating everyone." I mean :/

:lol. Good just ignoring my post http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/2015665-post176.html to continue with this misguided logic. :facepalm

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
To think Australia could lose the Ashes today. I know that is pessimistic but our first innings effort wasn't very convincing. I seem to be heaps optimistic or heaps pessimistic at the moment. A loss here is looking likely to be by an innings making both of our losses by that margin.

For me, whether the series is alive or dead in Sydney, Hauritz has to play.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
well, it was nice to ronald mcdonald scoring yet another ton in sheild, that is what? 3 in 4 matches or something. how much do you reckon he'd score at 6 against england?

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Well I don't really care what happens to this urn now. Win or lose, after this series there need to be some massive changes. Gotta gently nudge Hussey out, let him go out on top. Not sure how long this renaissance will last. The top 4 stays the same, Ponting keeping his place because he's captain and hopefully capable of doing a Tendulkar in the next few years. The runs are there, he's just getting himself out.

So you would drop the only player that has scored heavily for Australia in the top 6 this series? That seems strange to me.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Gazza is correct.

----------

Hilfenhaus has perfect consistency. But no variations at all. No tumbler seam, not cutters, he hasn't even tried a straight seam ever...

Roofrom50

International Coach
So you would drop the only player that has scored heavily for Australia in the top 6 this series? That seems strange to me.

That's exactly what i was thinking. Sure Hussey is getting on a little bit, but he can still play the game, and he has showed/showing that here in this Ashes series. He is the only batsman (apart from Watson) who has played well and kept the runs scoring for Australia. It would be stupid to drop him.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
he's younger than ponting and seems to be coping with his age better. why drop him and keep punter?

I have a lot of time for hussey, he'll still be scoring at 36 and 37 because he is so organised and knows his game.

P

pcfan123

I'm shocked that Ponting got away with just a 40% fine for his actions yesterday. That was the perfect situation for the ICC to make an example out of him and ban him for the dead rubber in Sydney.

Khawaja better play in the next match, I don't care if Hughes gets 100 here.

Last edited by a moderator:

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
We're being really negative, but luckily, Watson has given us a late Christmas present.

Roofrom50

International Coach
Listen to that crowd when Ponting came out to the crease. All the barmy army booed. And then came the Aussie fans and starting clapping. Who said that test cricket is boring these days.. we've got plenty of spice :D

P

pcfan123

on what basis does Smith keep this spot? Khawaja opens and Katich slides back into the middle order.

Users who are viewing this thread