Dec 26-30: 4th Test - Australia v England at Melbourne

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Does Collingwood keep his spot for the next test after the Ashes have been won?

I'd imagine so. I hope that if we win here, we realise that we still want to win the Ashes, not just retain them.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Don't know why the commentators are criticizing Strauss' for being too defensive for setting a run saving field.
Bresnan 3-15 off 11...seems to be working ok to me.
If you listen to Ian Chappell you'd think the best way to get wickets is to keep sticking an extra slip in every 50 runs without a wicket.
0-50...3 slips...0-100...4 slips...0-500...11 slips...sounds like one of those gamblers who doubles the stakes everytime he loses.

The team who scores the most runs generally wins...but...the team who CONCEDES the most runs NEVER does.
Run saving is an important part of the game too you know.

----------

Bresnan is bowling really well, he's quicker than I thought, and getting good bounce.
Good stamina too.

There's a lot to be said for bringing in fresh bowlers, I think part of Hilfenhaus problem is he looks tired, I know he is never a very smooth mover, but he has no spring in his step at all now, he has basically been "bowled into the ground" over the past few months.

Last edited:

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
The team who scores the most runs generally wins...but...the team who CONCEDES the most runs NEVER does.
Run saving is an important part of the game too you know.

But taking wickets is more important. Especially if you start the innings with a 400 run lead.

cricketmad09

International Coach
India have truely passed on the baton of most delusional fans.

"Shield is the best FC comp, it's the selectors that got it wrong, if it were me selecting the side we'd be beating everyone." I mean :/

Sheffield Shield is the best FC comp and the selectors have gotten it wrong. However the next part is questionable.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
As a side note...doubling the stakes every time you lose is not very wise...you either end up breaking even...or with a massive debt...which is not a 50/50 gamble I would be prepared to take.

----------

But taking wickets is more important. Especially if you start the innings with a 400 run lead.

Yeah, I know, you need 20 wickets to win, but taking 20 wickets for 1000 runs is not going to win you many.

Just meant that saving runs is an important part of the game that some people overlook.

Remember the famous Dravid/Laxman test in 2000/1 when we enforced the follow on and lost?
We started with an overly aggressive field in the 2nd innings and the Indian openers got off to a flier, and they really weren't very good openers.
At about 0-40 I said Australia were going to lose this one, and no one believed me.
I also said that Laxman and Dravid would bat all day before that day started..."Laxman has scored 300's, so that proves he can bat all day, and we all know about Dravid"...but that's another story.

Last edited:

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, I know, you need 20 wickets to win, but taking 20 wickets for 1000 runs is not going to win you many.

Just meant that saving runs is an important part of the game that some people overlook.

Remember the famous Dravid/Laxman test in 2000/1 when we enforced the follow on and lost?
We started with an overly aggressive field in the 2nd innings and the Indian openers got off to a flier, and they really weren't very good openers.
At about 0-40 I said Australia were going to lose this one, and no one believed me.
I also said that Laxman and Dravid would bat all day before that day started..."Laxman has scored 300's, so that proves he can bat all day, and we all know about Dravid"...but that's another story.

The time to set defensive fields are when the opposition are right on top of the game. If your dominating the game or have any periods of ascendancy, then you really need to attack and give the bowlers every chance of taking a wicket.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I've always liked Bresnan, hes a bit like Harris in hes a lot quicker than you think he is. Getting the job done today, so much for our batsmen standing up.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Dear oh dear, only got 2 batsmen that are safe and even Watson's 50 streaks combined with his running out partners is becoming a worry. Then you have the other safe batsmen, Hussey who is nearing retirement.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I guess England might have some welcome selection headaches (unlike those of Australia) after this match and for the future. Provided everyone stays fit, does Broad actually walk into this team? I still think so. Bresnan has been good in this game, and Broad was average in the series before he got hurt, so we might be jumping the gun a bit. I still think Broad has more about him than Bresnan does.

Tremlett has been good and looks a different bowler than the guy I saw against India in that series in England in 2006-07 (I think). Tremlett should compete with Finn for a seamer's spot, but I think I'd go for Finn if the conditions are more swing friendly as they almost always are in England.

I say Collingwood stays in the team. But I'd bat Bell above him, both to give Bell some exposure and to cover Collingwood a bit more.

midgetwars

Club Captain
I'm sure England won't make the same mistake as Australia. One good game kept out the better bowler. ie Hilfenhaus and lee Siddle and Clark then Bollinger and Siddle.

MAn hussey is out of form agian.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I've always liked Bresnan, hes a bit like Harris in hes a lot quicker than you think he is. Getting the job done today, so much for our batsmen standing up.

Yeah, his main problem has been control in the past but he's been excellent in this match. He's tailor made for these conditions when the ball reverses.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
I think the best thing we can do is drop Ponting, you'll find that will do a lot to raise team spirit.
And appoint Clarke as captain, all this "he's too soft" crap is just crap, so what if he is not Ian Chappell and had a good looking girlfriend, he has played well under pressure plenty of times before, being ugly and hairy does not make you "tough".
Investing all that time in Clarke and then consigning him to the scrap heap when everyone else is out of form and there are no other clear captaincy options is just stupid.
Clarke is a decent captain, and most importantly, the players like playing under him.
So what if he had a fight with Katich, Katich will be gone from the team soon anyway, unless of course we decide to make Katich captain.
Haddin is a poor option, his crazy George Bush monkey-demon face on that Pietersen non-edge is not what you want in a captain.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I think the best thing we can do is drop Ponting, you'll find that will do a lot to raise team spirit.
And appoint Clarke as captain, all this "he's too soft" crap is just crap, so what if he is not Ian Chappell and had a good looking girlfriend, he has played well under pressure plenty of times before, being ugly and hairy does not make you "tough".
Investing all that time in Clarke and then consigning him to the scrap heap when everyone else is out of form and there are no other clear captaincy options is just stupid.
Clarke is a decent captain, and most importantly, the players like playing under him.

So what if he had a fight with Katich, Katich will be gone from the team soon anyway, unless of course we decide to make Katich captain.
Haddin is a poor option, his crazy George Bush monkey-demon face on that Pietersen non-edge is not what you want in a captain.

All good points, sir, but part of the problem now is that Clarke is woefully out of touch. One more failure in the next match and I'd think he'd be fighting for a place in the team. I'm not sure that's what you want in a captain, no matter how charismatic he is.

The other thing is, I think Ponting the batsman still deserves a chance. I think he's a bit of a fair-weather captain - when the going is good he's the first to capitalize, when it gets bad, he has no backup plans - and his team right now is not good enough for him to have fair weather all the time. Get the captaincy off him and see if that rejuvenates him and his batting. People forget that Ponting's an absolute world beater with the bat, no matter how much of an ass he might be.

formula1man

International Cricketer
Watson can easily captain and the only name I'm going to put up here is MARSH.
wouldnt bring in Ferguson, hasnt proved himself.

Users who are viewing this thread