BUT!!!

I look foward to changing the ratings as they are all useless and

I havent laughed like I just did for a long time:D

Attachments

• PC lol.jpg
    PC lol.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I heard that if you bowl in the yellow zone too often your players tire out more quickly (in longer forms of the game) because it's a full-power/control delivery.

This could be the perfect antidote to being able to bowl perfect line and length all the time. Let's hope it's true.

Guys another things. I played a paddle sweep got a thin edge and keeper caught me behind the wicket i thought that was cool Amazing stuff.

The more i play the more i am enjoying the game. Codies and transmission i iwll wait for my full verdict until the full game releases but the demo has been excellent expirience.

Guys another things. I played a paddle sweep got a thin edge and keeper caught me behind the wicket i thought that was cool Amazing stuff.

The more i play the more i am enjoying the game.

Hopefully these are my final thoughts on the demo, although it's possible I'll add more because my memory is crap. :p Unless stated otherwise, everything I talk about is related to the hard difficulty level. This is based purely on the demo and not what I've read about the play test amongst other stuff.

Player bowling

After many games over the last few days, I've finally got to the stage where I can contain the AI batsmen. Make no mistake though, you get it wrong and you'll be smacked, even good balls can be dispatched. I can't help but feel there is too fine a line between hitting the light green area in the bowling meter and going over, resulting in a no ball. The light green area is tiny and it's very easy to bowl a no ball, something which we've seen in BLIC 2005 & 2007. It's frustrated the hell out of me a few times, especially when Strauss played onto his stumps with a very loose cover drive.

I still haven't had a AI batsman caught behind on hard. Had one caught at point, a handful in the covers and a few C & B's. It seems absolutely critical to hit the light green area to have a chance of causing problems for the batsmen. My reactions just don't seem good enough to get near it.

Now, swing. There's certainly plenty of swing on the way through to the keeper, but I really don't recall seeing much through the air before pitching. That's in different matches and conditions as well.

I feel it's still too easy to place the bowling cursor, but perhaps its just as well given how difficult it is to stop the bar in the right area.

Player batting

Not a lot to say here without talking about the AI bowling, which I'll do later. I'm just pleased that it's finally not easy to hit boundaries and sixes. I absolutely love moving the ball around using the defensive shot. The controls are easy to use (not tried advancing down the wicket). Rather oddly, my favourite thing about the batting is when you cock up! The inside edges, outside edges, bottom edges, top edges, thick edges and thin edges are brilliant inclusions and add massively to the game.

AI bowling

A mixed bag is the best way to put this. When the AI puts it on a good length, its genuinely tough to score runs (without resorting to moving your batsman around constantly), but unfortunately they don't most of the time. I've seen little variation in what the AI bowls and tends to bowl one length in an over. Maybe in a handful of overs since I downloaded the demo on Thursday has the AI bowled a different length in the same over. This is why its so easy to score runs yet not actually hit boundaries. It's a similar length and similar line, over and over again and it is usually too full or too short. There has to be more good balls and variation in line and length in the final version otherwise playing online will become the only option.

AI batting

What's this? A Codemasters Cricket game with batsman that are extremely tough to shift AND score runs but don't go after everything?! Who would've thought it? After BLIC 2005 and 2007's inept AI batsmen, I was so relieved to first hear the stories coming from the play tests and then to see for myself that the AI was much tougher.

The only issues I can think of are the silly run outs and, perhaps strangely, going for gaps. Personally I feel the AI are a bit too determind to find the gaps. Given it seems clear that the AI don't know they are batting in a 3 over match, it seems odd that, with specific field settings, they will try and work balls that are some distance outside off through mid-wicket and square leg. I've also seen them trying to hit cover drives to half volleys on or just outside leg stump. Beyond those I really can't think of much else wrong with the AI batting, my issue is more with the player bowling, as you've read. ;)

Fielding

Short answer, I like it a lot! Perhaps catches in the outfield could be a bit easier than close catches, but I really do like the fielding controls in general. I like the overthrows if no fielder is backing up properly and, from what I've seen, there don't seem to be too many. There haven't been any in the majority of matches I've played over the last three days.

Game appearance

Whilst not the best looking game out there, its certainly not the worst! I like the TV graphics a lot. Big enough to see but not overpowering like the BLIC 2007 colours. AC2009 also doesn't suffer from the god awful bloom effects that so many modern games do, see BLIC 2007, Colin McRae: Dirt and Race Driver: Grid. Incidentally, all Codemasters games!

I really the cameras used before the match has started, moving around the ground. Gives you the feeling that something special might be about to happen.

The biggest issue I have with this game visually are the cameras, they are awful when moving around. Zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, zoom out and so on. This really needs to be sorted. Just focus on the ball when its in the outfield but don't be zoomed in too far. You can see if there's a fielder nearby on the radar, you really don't need the constant change in the zoom. The replays are horrible because they suffer from the same thing. I would've like to see more camera angles when it comes to the replays and also on-demand replays. I've seen so many things where I've thought to myself "that was amazing!" then realised I can't watch it again.

Sounds

I'll start with commentary, it is truly awful, simple as that. Poor Shane Warne has been given the same old lines from Cricket games as far back as BLC 99. There is no excitement created by the commentators and anyone that has listened to TMS will know that Aggers is perfectly capable of getting excited and wound up. The commentary is bad and boring enough that I turn it off every time.

The crowd sounds are poor in my opinion. To be honest, BLC 99 and the EA Cricket games have waaaaay better crowd sounds. Again, there is no atmosphere created, they hardly react to events (wickets, mistakes by fielders, milestones etc). With this being the "official" game of the Ashes I really expect the crowd to get excited and sound passionate. Just watching the BLC 99 videos that have appeared in this forum make me want those crowd sounds again. I know, I know, sounds aren't more important than the gameplay, but they can assist in making you feel you're taking part in something special and that you're really there! I really do think the importance of sounds is underrated by a lot of game developers.

As for actual sound effects, I suspect (and hope!) Lazy Chesnut may have something in store for us. ;)

Final thought

Overall, this game has huge potential. The little touches they've added really do make it feel like you're playing cricket. Add those touches to fixed AI bowling and a couple of other bits and pieces, this will be brilliant.

Thank god that post is over, literally been hours since I started it....

Goodness I just cant wait for this game :D

BUT!!!

I look foward to changing the ratings as they are all useless and

I havent laughed like I just did for a long time:D

Strange post, probably lacks authentic research me thinks. The statistics shown in the image are very close to his actual statistics so what exactly made you laugh like you hadnt for a long time (bear in mind the dev's have already mentioned stats update each match played) seems over reactionary like most of this thread. For crying out loud its just a computer game, im well aware us 'gamers' have been let down in the past in this genre but by all reports this game seems a huge step forword and transmission/codies have actually made an effort this time. Relax... theres more important things in life, its just a game that hopefully (it looks like) will be developed further in the future. And this future finally looks bright for (lets not forget) the niche market that is cricket video games. :cheers

I just downloaded the demo. Its okay, the only thing I hate is how the batsman look when they get bowled. They just stand in their crease.

It's not that easy. It rises pretty quickly and if you stop it too early it's a poor delivery and very hitable and if you stop it too late it's a no ball. To get it perfect every time you need to stop it quite late and really risk bowling a no ball.

From memory I think that the different bowlers have differingly sized 'sweet spots' in their meters. I think Monty's meter was different than Freddies. Might be my imagination though. EDIT: It was my imagination. From looking at a video Freddie and Monty's meters were the same.

As for condition, obviously we don't get to see that on the demo, but I'm sure in a full game depleted condition will have a big effect on the accuracy. Again, I'm just hoping here.

Good. Thanks for that, so it won't be easy to always bowl in the right place, fast and without bowling no-balls.

I heard that if you bowl in the yellow zone too often your players tire out more quickly (in longer forms of the game) because it's a full-power/control delivery. This would add to the gameplay in a big way because it'll force you to be attacking in shorter spurts and you'll need to rotate your bowlers more often and contain the AI with your field placements. I like the idea of bowling to my field and mixing up the bowling pace to bring about a poor shot from the batsman.
I guess it's easy at the moment to dominate with only 3 overs so your bowlers don't tire. Can't wait to test this on the full game with Twenty20's, 50 over ODIs and Test Matches especially!

Excellent if true; Transmissions really do seem to have thought of everything!

This could be the perfect antidote to being able to bowl perfect line and length all the time. Let's hope it's true.

Amen to that. :upray The easy nature of being able to plonk a ball on a good length all the time was one of the things that made other games' bowling boring.

The more i play the more i am enjoying the game. Codies and transmission i iwll wait for my full verdict until the full game releases but the demo has been excellent expirience.

I haven't even played it yet and even I'm enjoying it, the more I hear about it, if you get what I mean!! :D :D :D

I just downloaded the demo. Its okay, the only thing I hate is how the batsman look when they get bowled. They just stand in their crease.

It would be great to see the stumps go flying sometimes if hit by a 90mph screamer, but it's a small, cosmetic thing that won't spoil the game at all.

Going by the demo though, I hope Lazy hasn't put his Ashes 2005 DVD boxset too far away, because the sound needs work!!

Roll on July 30th!! :)

I noticed in some videos that some fielders just stand still when the bowler gets somebody out.

I mean, they don't move an inch, like statues.

Why? :/

Is it easy to dance down the wicket and hit easy 4s and 6s this time against pace bowlers.

The demo seemed okay. Nothing great.
A few of the things that are very annoying -

1. You cannot really see how you hit the ball as the screen moves past very quickly. Its not like in EA Cricket where you could see the action unfold very nicely.

2. I hate the stupid shaky cam effect. There's the feeling that people think shaky cam means gritty action. Note to you - its not. Its headache inducing.

3. The constant zoom in / zoom out when you hit the ball is annoying.

The game itself seems nice to play but only if they didn't have the shaky cam and super fast cam. I mean, you cannot even see how you hit the ball ( unless you can follow every detail of the hit in 0.1 secs the cam stays on it ).

I might pass on the game if you cannot change camera angles and disable shaky cam.

1. You cannot really see how you hit the ball as the screen moves past very quickly. Its not like in EA Cricket where you could see the action unfold very nicely.

2. I hate the stupid shaky cam effect. There's the feeling that people think shaky cam means gritty action. Note to you - its not. Its headache inducing.

The game itself seems nice to play but only if they didn't have the shaky cam and super fast cam. I mean, you cannot even see how you hit the ball ( unless you can follow every detail of the hit in 0.1 secs the cam stays on it ).

I might pass on the game if you cannot change camera angles and disable shaky cam.

How can you even compare that piece of crap EA Cricket (which needed a million patches/mods to make it halfway playable) to this game which looks very good, going by the videos I've seen?

As for camera angles, there are bound to be lots of options in the full game to suit all tastes.

Definitely agree. It was my first issue when I played it. The camera was going crazy and whenever I hit over the top I run straight away, I can't even make out where the ball is in the outfield. And usually it's really hard to tell if it's a 4 or a 6 when you first hit it because of the zooming and colouring of the ball. Chase cam is terrible as well. But I find I can still play it.

Also got a weird situation last night. Hit the ball into the outfield, ran for two, thought there was a 3rd on so I take it then cancel quickly. Then one of the batsman runs to the keepers end where the other batsman just stands there. Thought it would be one of those horrific run-out situations but it just ended when the keeper took the ball.

How can you even compare that piece of crap EA Cricket (which needed a million patches/mods to make it halfway playable) to this game which looks very good, going by the videos I've seen?

As for camera angles, there are bound to be lots of options in the full game to suit all tastes.

dont get so worked up steve....he was just commenting on the crappy camera movements and not the gameplay.....i know we all are excited and optimistic about this game but i'd have to agree with fanirama....the cameras did seem pretty fast and irritating in the videos i've seen...

overall....looking good so far.....cant wait for the PC demo.....
am hating codemasters every second for shitting on PC / PS3 users...

Users who are viewing this thread