Review Demo impressions thread

Heath has clearly told in Planetcricket Second Q&A that First off, I want to say that our number one priority for 2009 was the game-play. All our decisions stemmed from what was best to improve the playing experience, and make it feel more dynamic and reactive.

IMO, These animation glitches are not game breakers for me. We will certainly get used to these animations once we play it over some period of time.

i know they are not game breakers but how difficult is it anyways to implement two good anims (runup and bowling action) especially when you have motion capture at your disposal.....

batting i can understand has ████ load of shots.....but this cannot be excused...
i doubt whether transmission themselves were convinced of their bowling anims...

i know they are not game breakers but how difficult is it anyways to implement two good anims (runup and bowling action) especially when you have motion capture at your disposal.....

batting i can understand has ████ load of shots.....but this cannot be excused...
i doubt whether transmission themselves were convinced of their bowling anims...

You can say this, BUT, when your game releases, the guys at Transmissions will probably be positive if they comment.

Are your bowling actions better? I bet they're very similar.

You can say this, BUT, when your game releases, the guys at Transmissions will probably be positive if they comment.

You would assume a whole company can make much better bowling animations than one guy

who says am negative ?? you want me to say its the best bowling action in the history of cricket gaming just to get an "AWESOME" reply from someone ??
i genuinely feel its bad...and not just to criticize something !!

and talking about my action....i had to do them by hand frame-by-frame...
i didnt have any motion capture or even reference pix from various angles...
lot of it is imagination.....even then i can say the bowling action is better than AC2009 !

You would assume a whole company can make much better bowling animations than one guy

Why?

Let me try to make it clear, seeing as you haven't read back. This is Transmission's FIRST cricket game release. They've never ever done it before.

When TAOC releases, I'll be just as harsh, they've got 3 people working on the game, why isn't it perfect?

Simbazz added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

who says am negative ?? you want me to say its the best bowling action in the history of cricket gaming just to get an "AWESOME" reply from someone ??

and talking about my action....i had to do them by hand frame-by-frame...
i didnt have any motion capture or even reference pix from various angles...
lot of it is imagination.....even then i can say the bowling action is better than AC2009 !

Have Transmission used motion capture?

I think you should think a little more carefully when complaining about A.I. issues, the AI can't really optomised for a 3-over game?

Why?

Let me try to make it clear, seeing as you haven't read back. This is Transmission's FIRST cricket game release. They've never ever done it before.

When TAOC releases, I'll be just as harsh, they've got 3 people working on the game, why isn't it perfect?

Simbazz added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Have Transmission used motion capture?

yes this is their first cricket game BUT they've used the engine and lot of anims and stuff from BLIC07 !

and yes...they have used motion capture...heck, even BLC99 had motion capture used in their anims.......

As playtest people will have limited amount of time to evaluate the game or find the glitches.

As per my view, Along with Codies conducting playtest they should also release demo and get feedback from users. Based on the priority they should go ahead fix the important issues like AI runouts, AI pacing etc..

Is there any company doing it now??

They can take additional time to release but we will get perfect game which we are expecting.

It's been a very long time since I've made a post (having been a reviewer in years gone by), but I thought I'd jump in here to give what I think is a sensible, reasoned perspective on this upcoming game.

Firstly, it's a demo. Keep in mind that the game is being released on a media - DVD - that has a massive amount of storage space on it, whereas the demos look to be around the 500MB size. That's peanuts compared to the fully expanded file size of games these days, so I would expect a significant amount of detail has been left out of the demo through sheer neccessity. No doubt there'd be plenty of whingers if the file size was getting up around the 1GB+ plus mark, so I look at it like getting to try a sample of a box of chocolates. They're not going to give you the Turkish Delight to try, just the plain dairy milk. If you like the taste, you'll buy a box. I'm only guessing, but I would suspect to get the file size down that the demo doesn't contain all the animations, effects and commentary - and the guys that have playtested the game seem to be of the opinion that the demo build is in fact an earlier version of the code than the playtest version.

Some of the comments here relating to animations and the like are overlooking, in my opinion, the one thing that cricket gamers want - a competitive GAME of cricket where every match is different. Frankly, I don't give a rats what the bowling action looks like. From what I've seen it looks pretty realistic generically. Besides, what are you focusing on when the bowler is running in? If I'm batting, I'm focusing on the ball and my placement and timing. If I'm bowling, I want the ball to pitch in a certain area and move a certain way, and I need to concentrate on getting as close to the sweet spot in the delivery bar as I can. Codies could have spent countless hours perfecting every player's bowling action but then totally stuffed the actual bowling aspect of the gameplay. I know which one I'd prefer to have in my game.

As for the batting, someone complained that their 'regular' strokes never make it all the way to the boundary. Well, duh. In my cricketing days - I umpire nowadays - I was an opening bat. My regular strokes were never full-blooded, just the nips, nudges and placement into gaps that gets you your ones and twos. You want a ball to go to the fence, you've got to give it a dash more often than not. From what I've seen, the option in AC09 to either nurdle the ball around for singles if you're trying to rebuild an innings or get yourself going - with the vastly reduced risk of getting an edge or lofting a shot, or throwing the kitchen sink at the ball with all the inherent risk and reward, is the right way to go. I think the options of a defensive, regular, attacking and lofted shot selection are excellent, and a real step forward.

I do agree that the little bugs about bails being knocked off and given not out, accurate bowling speeds and the like need to either be fixed in pre-release or a patch made available very, very soon after it hits the shelves. But anyone expecting absolute perfection in this game, or any game for that matter, will end up disappointed. As a PC user, I'm hoping for a game that is very much bug-free, firstly. The default settings will not be to everyone's liking, but if it provides an enjoyable, balanced contest, I have no doubt that the PC community will in the meantime endeavour to go under the hood to find the AI configs and the like, and facepacks, kits and so on won't be too far behind.

This game, from what I've read here, shows great promise. If it provides a solid foundation with the basic fundamentals of cricket in place and working correctly, I have no doubt the user community will be able to work some magic mods out, and can spend their time doing that rather than trying to fix the bugs that Codies should have found during what appears to be a rigourous testing process.

Thanks to you guys for your opinions and evaluations of the demo to date. :cheers

yes this is their first cricket game BUT they've used the engine and lot of anims and stuff from BLIC07 !

and yes...they have used motion capture...heck, even BLC99 had motion capture used in their anims.......

BLIC07 was a in-house achievement, and quite frankly it was poor. Transmission have made a game which will be at the top of a pile. If they've used motion capture, then why are they pretty poor? I agree that they could be better, BUT does it really matter? Does the bowlers run-up affect the game? No.

As playtest people will have limited amount of time to evaluate the game or find the glitches.

As per my view, Along with Codies conducting playtest they should also release demo and get feedback from users. Based on the priority they should go ahead fix the important issues like AI runouts, AI pacing etc..

Is there any company doing it now??

They can take additional time to release but we will get perfect game which we are expecting.

Codies/Transmission have released a demo? Which means they are a company doing it? I don't really understand your post.

Anyone noticed how Shane Warne keeps callin Lords 'North London'

now if they made him copy all the lines from BLIC 07 and kept in Nort London, because it was unlicensed, then that is a bit poor!

rlfan82 added 0 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Codies/Transmission have released a demo? Which means they are a company doing it? I don't really understand your post.

He's talking about them releasing an beta version to the community, for comments and bugs

played it last night.

to be freank if the game is not fun playing against another human then I just cannot see myself playing this game for longer than a week.

I guess the game just does not flow well for me. The ball physics are no great.

When it comes to bowling, Cricket 96 had better bowling animations, actions and ball physics than this, and that was like ages ago.

Batting is improed and harder which is good, however like I said, after you play games like Fifa 09, its hard to play stuff like Ashes 09.

Yes I understand that a lot less money is involved here, but after you play Fifa, Ashes just looks like an unfinished product.

And seriosly the bowling actions and runup are plain awful.

dude don't compare a soccer game to a cricket game and fifa is not the best soccer game out there :p

I think he's saying that now the demo is released, that Transmission/Codies should be reading the feedback, which they are, so really, he's saying nothing in a bad way.

I'll put myself back on topic slightly, I'm still crap at this game, Aus keep beating me!

Simbazz added 1 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Anyone noticed how Shane Warne keeps callin Lords 'North London'

now if they made him copy all the lines from BLIC 07 and kept in Nort London, because it was unlicensed, then that is a bit poor!

Erm...You're playing England verse Sri Lanka (Obviously in a unlicensed series) and he says Lords, Codies get sued as Lords is only licensed in the Ashes series.

People, please use your brains.

It's been a very long time since I've made a post (having been a reviewer in years gone by), but I thought I'd jump in here to give what I think is a sensible, reasoned perspective on this upcoming game.

Firstly, it's a demo. Keep in mind that the game is being released on a media - DVD - that has a massive amount of storage space on it, whereas the demos look to be around the 500MB size. That's peanuts compared to the fully expanded file size of games these days, so I would expect a significant amount of detail has been left out of the demo through sheer neccessity. No doubt there'd be plenty of whingers if the file size was getting up around the 1GB+ plus mark, so I look at it like getting to try a sample of a box of chocolates. They're not going to give you the Turkish Delight to try, just the plain dairy milk. If you like the taste, you'll buy a box. I'm only guessing, but I would suspect to get the file size down that the demo doesn't contain all the animations, effects and commentary - and the guys that have playtested the game seem to be of the opinion that the demo build is in fact an earlier version of the code than the playtest version.

Some of the comments here relating to animations and the like are overlooking, in my opinion, the one thing that cricket gamers want - a competitive GAME of cricket where every match is different. Frankly, I don't give a rats what the bowling action looks like. From what I've seen it looks pretty realistic generically. Besides, what are you focusing on when the bowler is running in? If I'm batting, I'm focusing on the ball and my placement and timing. If I'm bowling, I want the ball to pitch in a certain area and move a certain way, and I need to concentrate on getting as close to the sweet spot in the delivery bar as I can. Codies could have spent countless hours perfecting every player's bowling action but then totally stuffed the actual bowling aspect of the gameplay. I know which one I'd prefer to have in my game.

As for the batting, someone complained that their 'regular' strokes never make it all the way to the boundary. Well, duh. In my cricketing days - I umpire nowadays - I was an opening bat. My regular strokes were never full-blooded, just the nips, nudges and placement into gaps that gets you your ones and twos. You want a ball to go to the fence, you've got to give it a dash more often than not. From what I've seen, the option in AC09 to either nurdle the ball around for singles if you're trying to rebuild an innings or get yourself going - with the vastly reduced risk of getting an edge or lofting a shot, or throwing the kitchen sink at the ball with all the inherent risk and reward, is the right way to go. I think the options of a defensive, regular, attacking and lofted shot selection are excellent, and a real step forward.

I do agree that the little bugs about bails being knocked off and given not out, accurate bowling speeds and the like need to either be fixed in pre-release or a patch made available very, very soon after it hits the shelves. But anyone expecting absolute perfection in this game, or any game for that matter, will end up disappointed. As a PC user, I'm hoping for a game that is very much bug-free, firstly. The default settings will not be to everyone's liking, but if it provides an enjoyable, balanced contest, I have no doubt that the PC community will in the meantime endeavour to go under the hood to find the AI configs and the like, and facepacks, kits and so on won't be too far behind.

This game, from what I've read here, shows great promise. If it provides a solid foundation with the basic fundamentals of cricket in place and working correctly, I have no doubt the user community will be able to work some magic mods out, and can spend their time doing that rather than trying to fix the bugs that Codies should have found during what appears to be a rigourous testing process.

Thanks to you guys for your opinions and evaluations of the demo to date. :cheers
Great Post mate. I think people are being too finicky about this demo and the game. I can't imagine we can form a solid judgement on AI aspect in a 3 overs a side match.

Users who are viewing this thread