Review Demo impressions thread

Well, the game hasn't been released yet, so it's hard to call it the best cricket game to date based on a demo, which has a massive flaw in the AI running.

You can get an "impression" from the demo. People enjoy the bowling, the batting and the fielding. There are many positive signs, but the demo is just a taste of the game.

It will be easy for us to say "best cricket game ever" because we've been neglected as a genre for about 10 years, going back to the BLC 99 days. EA have fallen off the track and some new boys are in town. People will be excited, not least because we've had to put up with several years of mediocre, if not poor cricket games.

Is there going to be any improvement in the graphics come the final release?
Using an ATI 4890 card maxed out but there seems to be very little anti-aliasing in the game....the graphics aren't as smooth as BLIC 2007.

Nice game play though!:banana2

Well, the game hasn't been released yet, so it's hard to call it the best cricket game to date based on a demo, which has a massive flaw in the AI running.

You can get an "impression" from the demo. People enjoy the bowling, the batting and the fielding. There are many positive signs, but the demo is just a taste of the game.

It will be easy for us to say "best cricket game ever" because we've been neglected as a genre for about 10 years, going back to the BLC 99 days. EA have fallen off the track and some new boys are in town. People will be excited, not least because we've had to put up with several years of mediocre, if not poor cricket games.

True enough, but the signs are very good, especially when you try the game with the demo expander. BLIC '99 was the last good cricket game and, apart from the edges/AI running, this game is better (based on the demo).

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Is there going to be any improvement in the graphics come the final release?
Using an ATI 4890 card maxed out but there seems to be very little anti-aliasing in the game....the graphics aren't as smooth as BLIC 2007.

Nice game play though!:banana2

Nope, can't see any AA/AF options. Nothing but the 'special effects' which just make the game look blurry and saturated. And if you turn them off, it makes the sky textures look as though they've been painted on.

I saw a video where the batsmen is hit bit a ball which subsequently rolls on to the stumps & dislodges the bails. The players appeal but the batsman is given not out.
Check it out in the video below.....4th ball from Mitchell Johnson to Strauss..

YouTube - Ashes Cricket 2009 Gameplay [Xbox 360]

so much for all the gameplay talk!

I saw a video where the batsmen is hit bit a ball which subsequently rolls on to the stumps & dislodges the bails. The players appeal but the batsman is given not out.
Check it out in the video below.....4th ball from Mitchell Johnson to Strauss..

YouTube - Ashes Cricket 2009 Gameplay [Xbox 360]

so much for all the gameplay talk!

It's one little bug. Plus, it hardly happens at all - I have played many games, plus an 80 over marathon - didn't see it once. Not once. Hardly something to junk the game's gameplay over. :sarcasm

i saw some great Diving catches in the game,they really looks cool.

Ohh!!!just took a catch as a keeper,it is looking really really cool

Attachments

• Cricket2009 2009-07-31 19-57-04-69.jpg
    Cricket2009 2009-07-31 19-57-04-69.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
About the stats, well done to Transmission for finally displaying them in the game and not always hiding them in the menus. With the spider chart though, it doesn't say how much the batsman's scored, that would be a good thing to know. Also, why is it only the last 25 scoring shots? Surely machines these days could track all the shots of the innings?

And when a bowler comes on, it'd be good to see the stats from the current match, as well as his overall stats. Could show overall stats when he first appears and then match stats in consecutive overs. Maybe in the full game...

How about the option to choose pairings of bowlers? That way, we won't forget who is supposed to be bowling next...

Edit:

We've really tried to up the atmosphere of the game as well. This includes the crowd audio, the stadia, the cameras, the music (ODIs/20 Overs) and announcements playing through the speakers... cricket is a blast to play and watch, so we've tried to up the excitement and atmosphere over previous titles.
Finally, it's the real guys from England and Australia, the real uniforms, and you can create a player and add yourself into the Ashes sides, and play alongside your heroes. I love that aspect as well.
There are a lot more things in there, but once again, the only way to see them is to check it out for yourself

This is from the second Q & A - so I'm expecting far better crowd audio in the game - as I said before, Fifa demos have shipped with rubbish crowd chants, only for the full game to really impress.

Also, they mention cameras, so I'd be surprised not to see some options in this area in the game.

Last edited:
We've really tried to up the atmosphere of the game as well. This includes the crowd audio, the stadia, the cameras, the music (ODIs/20 Overs) and announcements playing through the speakers... cricket is a blast to play and watch, so we've tried to up the excitement and atmosphere over previous titles.
Finally, it's the real guys from England and Australia, the real uniforms, and you can create a player and add yourself into the Ashes sides, and play alongside your heroes. I love that aspect as well.
There are a lot more things in there, but once again, the only way to see them is to check it out for yourself

They are def holing stuff back!..... it happens for most games! Cant wait!!!:happy

Because if the demo atmosphere is what they class as atmosphere!! then we need to send the guys from Transmission to a match lol!!

Last edited:
They are def holing stuff back!..... it happens for most games! Cant wait!!!:happy

Because if the demo atmosphere is what they class as atmosphere!! then we need to send the guys from Transmission to a match lol!!

Indeed!!!!

Im still so concerned bout these run outs i get them all the time!

Im holding on to the fact that they are SOO bad they will be fixed. There not a lil every now and then bug! They are HUGE!

Really curious to how the computer will really pace it self in a test match! It appears we have the AI batting of the final overs of a 20/20! which in a 3 over match would make sence!

If you order off GAME.NET you get it on the 6th!

In the 2nd Q & A, it says that the ball's speed depends on the difficulty. Has anyone noticed any difference? If not, maybe the ball will be faster in the full game, meaning better edges and faster outfield.

In the 2nd Q & A, it says that the ball's speed depends on the difficulty. Has anyone noticed any difference? If not, maybe the ball will be faster in the full game, meaning better edges and faster outfield.

My PC is quite stuttery... has the pace not been different on the demo version?

Full Game = A few pleasant suprises!

Demo = something to keep us happy and the bare bones of the game!

Whats the chances we see a few more actions do you think!!!!????

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what these two things are.
The white line around the field display and the black triangle that seems to follow the ball around in it.

Attachments

• demoquestion.jpg
    demoquestion.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread