Developer's Blog

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well LM, one thing that After writing core 2 duo we dont write P4 :)

Also your card is very cool. Both your card and processor and very good overclocker's . One glitch though - if you can change now you can switch to a C2D E6600 .. The proper advantage is the 4 mb L2 cache :)

karan_rox1

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
keeper

legend_master said:
UPDATE & schedule for next couple of weeks:

----------------
----------------

- new player models almost complete
- remaining items to model are: widebrim hat, cap, Baggy Green, Sunnies, hair (several styles), wicketkeeper gloves

- then on to fixing up the existing textures and applying them to the new models, as well as adding a few new ones.

- then models will be adjusted so that there are different builds and heights
- the new batsman and bowler models will be added into to the game engine
- then ill begin animations for fielders and wicketkeeper - once animations are done keeper and fielders will be added to the game engine.
- field placings will be implemented - defaults/presets and customisations.
- keeper/fielder AI will be added

cheers,

LM

Why Dont You also create an option for keeping d keeper up for the medium pacers..?will the game hit the store nd if yes..when?

Banger_attack

School Cricketer
karan_rox1 said:
Why Dont You also create an option for keeping d keeper up for the medium pacers..?will the game hit the store nd if yes..when?
You will have the option to have the keeper stand to the stumps up for medium pacers.
If you mean 'will the game be sold in the shops?', current plans are for it to be released as a download, and the release date hasn't yet been set.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Hi all,

long time no update...

well, progress has been pretty slow im afraid to say, but better slow than not at all...this is due to commitments relating to my own life outside of TAOC. Once again, if only i could work on this full-time :rolleyes: maybe one day :upray

The time i have had free i have spent on optimization stuff, trying to improve frame rates after some unexpected performance glitches popped up, so no real 'obiously visible' updates to report.

I'm hoping in a week or so to be well back on track with the game, which will begin with a roundup of glitches and loose ends created by the optimizing process and stuff that popped up.

One thing i did add since last update which relates to gameplay is the batting powerbar. The powerbar will now operate differently depending on if the match is test or limited overs. The 'test match' powerbar will consist of the same three zones as the 'limited overs' powerbar, but the first 'block zone' will be much larger than the limited overs block zone. i.e. in the limited overs powerbar the percentage breakdown for the different zones would be this approximately: block = 0-25 , ground stroke = 26-95 , lofted stroke = 96-100

Test match powerbar would be: block = 0-50 , ground stroke = 51-99 , lofted stroke = 100

kinda hard to explain this next part, but it would make sense when you play it: Instead of holding down the stroke button for a while to build up the powerbar, it now rises much quicker, meaning you can wait until very late before pushing the button and it almost has the effect of making the stroke happen as you push the button with a slight latency depending on how far you want it to rise. This means a tap in 'limited overs powerbar' would get you a block and slightly more than a tap would get you an attempted ground stroke.

The test match powerbar is designed to allow for more blocking and lofted shots would occur rarely, only when the player deliberately 'maxed out' the powerbar. I also put in place a system to allow for variation in lofted shots, regardless of the lack of variety from the powerbar.

While still effecting the final overall power of the shot (along with many other factors including timing and batsman stats), shot choice becomes more tailored towards the particular pacing of a match.

The problem with the last system was that you really had to premeditate any lofted shots as there was not enough time for the powerbar to rise after the ball left the bowler's hand so you had to start building it up before it left his hand. I didn't like this 'total premeditation' so i decided on this method. You'll have to trust me that it now works really well ;)

LM

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
Quality takes time

Good work, I think it's great what you are doing, keep it up

HnC

School Cricketer
Sorry im not too sure what you mean. In test matches when hitting the ball in the air, it means you have to be trying to hit a 6. So you can no longer chip the ball for 4 or for a single, iwenrt too sure what you meant.

legend_master

yeah, i know, it's a slight problem the ol chip shot...trying to find a way around that whilsy still keeping the main guts of the current system. Maybe i keep both 'lofted zones' in the 85-100 percentage range. Low 85-90 would be small lofted shots (i.e. chips) and high 90s/100 would be big lofted shots (i.e. 6 hits) - but you'll have to be pretty good at timing the shot to deliberately hit a chip where you want.

It wont loop back around, the powerbar is a one-chance only thing. But it all happens very fast so i think a wrap-around would be wierd, and too hard to time a lofted shot, with a liklihood it would become a block after wrapping around.

Also bear in mind that 'mishits' will occur commonly, making the ball result do anything from a large deviation to a small deviation and different angled arcs of the ball, so there is plenty of variation possible. Even mishits aside, there is randomness that will affect the shots, so as stated before, no 2 shots will turn out exactly the same.

legend_master

A quick little update...

Progress is going well ;) i had a massive bug-fix session and have spent ages tweaking the batting/ball physics which has really improved heaps...very happy with things now. Tonight is the official start of getting the fielders to move around. I'm starting with the wicky, getting him to dive, catch, position, whip off bails etc. Once he is done, i'll be doing bowler positioning, backing up and catching/chasing and then all other fielders. I think the fielding AI is going to be a really critical part, so i expect it will take quite a while to get right. But my word, once that aspect is done the game is really getting to the exciting stages. :onpc

After the fielding is complete, i need to work on AI for batting and bowling for when CPU is controlling them. This will be really tough. But after this its almost onto the home stretch - overlays, menus, sounds, stats completion,replays, controllers/gamepads, networking.

I'm hoping to make a nice new video soon. Will show the new mishit and edge system and feature wicket keeper action - so stay tuned ;) Will also try to show more defensive shots including blocks and leaving.

cheers,

LM

holmie

Club Cricketer
2 questions and 1 note.

Q1: Will network play be in the game the day it releases or will the game release and you will make an update for the game to be played online?

Q2: Right now when you play the game, do you controll the batsmen and the bowler?

Note: Im resuming my work on the ingame overlay. been busy playing Godfather for ps3. should send you the pngs in a couple of days. and btw please dont leak the overlays. i dont want them to be revealed until the game is released.

Users who are viewing this thread