Do you believe in the "commentator's curse"

Does the commentator's curse bring about bad luck?

• Yes

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
When a commentator keeps hyping up a player saying "he's doing so well at the moment" and "What a great batsman he is. He's got to play such a vital role for his team" more often than not, that player fails.

I've seen the effect of the "commentator's curse" on numerous occasions. So there could be a case for it.

What do you think of this phenomenon?

I don't really believe in it but there was an uncanny example of it in the 2005 Natwest final between England and Australia;

I remember it pretty vividly, England were chasing a small amount over 190 to win and they were reduced to 34/5 thanks to Lee and McGrath but then Paul Collingwood and Geraint Jones put on a fantastic partnership that saw us go within touvhing distance of the victory. With about 30 or 40 runs to win and Jones and Colly still at the crease Nasser Hussain utters these words, "I mark England down as favourites now. The partnership is looking more and more assured and they surely can't throw it away now. My money is firmly on England winning." So what happened with the very next ball? The 'assured' partnership make a mix up of a single and Collingwood is run out, leaving Ashley Giles and Steve Harmison to salvage a tie from the last ball of the game.

I'm a strong believer. It even happens when I commentate on ICC 05!!! Without fail! I now murmer 'So and So Sucks' when they are batting to avoid them getting out!

Do you know in the recent test match at Durban, Dhoni was really battling hard to save the test match with just about 5 minutes to tea. He really reined in his aggression and was batting well with India 7 down with 3 wickets in hand.

What happened? Sunil Gavaskar hyped up Dhoni's effort, and the *very* same ball, he slashed at a delivery outside off stump and was caught behind.

Uncanny, but Sunil Gavaskar is certainly one guy with this power...

I believe it happens to me every time i stand at slip, if i shout somthing like "hey up, same ball, and he's out," he smacks it for six, ive never tried "Hey this lads never gunna get out," but i might :p

Don't believe in it whatsoever !

It's clearly because the CIA have sniper rifles pointed at the batsman so they get themselves out.

Utter tripe if you can't spot the sarcasm btw, it's called coincidence, it happens all the time.

I dont really believe in it but I think they call it that just because of coincedence that at the time they say somthing the opposite happens like with Andy Symonds 'Hes not used to test...blah blah'

153 at Melbourne lol, but Ravi Shastri and Nasser are definatly up there lol.

It is the same with football. 'Oh and the set pieces from Team A have been dreadful in this match.' And then a defender nods in the corner.

It is obviously coincidence but still annoying.

Definately nothing to it. The amount of times they say something which isn't then followed by a wicket or something far outweighs the times it does. They are always saying something, that it is bound to get immediately proved wrong sometimes. Thing is you only notice it when a wicket actually falls.

Don't believe it whatsoever as well. But I guess I can recall one recently in the current SA v India test match. A South African commentator was saying that I think Prince or someone in the middle order was playing and then the next ball or a couple or deliveries later he was out.

I can remember the so-called curse happening plenty of times
to England in the recent Ashes series.

However, I do remember on the last day of the 5th test Ian Chappell
saying about Bell "if he keeps playing like that he's just waiting to get out"
and surely enough a few balls later Bell is walkng the lonely green mile...
So it does happen both ways.

Dr.Cricket said:
I can remember the so-called curse happening plenty of times
to England in the recent Ashes series.

However, I do remember on the last day of the 5th test Ian Chappell
saying about Bell "if he keeps playing like that he's just waiting to get out"
and surely enough a few balls later Bell is walkng the lonely green mile...
So it does happen both ways.

But it's just because commentators always have something to say.

I remember when Symonds looked like he was a walking wicket when surviving until the end of play and then went on to hit 150 and every commentator was saying it's only a matter of time. They are paid to talk and they will get some wrong and some right and we only ever remember it when the exact opposite happens immediately afterwards.

All I can say is the commentators curse is a load of rubbish, and I'm sure any batsman that thinks they've gotten out because of what was said in the commentary box would not have a very long career.

Users who are viewing this thread