Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

How come fielders are sliding at the boundary and crossing/touching the rope all the time? Thought there was a button to tap the ball back. Haven't seen anyone even trying it.

I think AngryPixel used it in the planet cricket vs Mumbai Indian video on ivg

Got the game today... played my first test match as Eng vs SA.

Initial feeling was really amazing. Just wanted to note down the below observations... few are already known in the forum

1. The wicket keeper along with the slip fielders come really close to the stumps after some overs for a fast bowler.
2. I was bowling round the wicket. After an over or so the bowling changed to over the wicket automatically many times. I had to switch back to round the wicket.
3. The run out bug is an issue but a minor one.
4. AI bowler bowls at leg stumps which is a major issue.
5. The AI bats very aggressively even if I bowled stump to stump with occasional bad balls to leg side. The AI run rate was 10 per over.
6. Nearly 90% of throws were hitting the stumps directly.
7. Need to show the pitch closely before starting a match.
8. If you do not opt for DRS the replay is not shown automatically.
9. AI field positioning for a est match are very defensive.

However.. Thanks BA for DBC from the bottom of my heart.

Initial feeling was really amazing. Just wanted to note down the below observations... few are already known in the forum

1. The wicket keeper along with the slip fielders come really close to the stumps after some overs for a fast bowler.
2. I was bowling round the wicket. After an over or so the bowling changed to over the wicket automatically many times. I had to switch back to round the wicket.
5. The AI bats very aggressively even if I bowled stump to stump with occasional bad balls to leg side. The AI run rate was 10 per over.

5. Would the batsman bat aggressively even if they were conservative players?

I wonder, has anyone tried getting Misbah a century yet? :P

I think AngryPixel used it in the planet cricket vs Mumbai Indian video on ivg

I accidentally used it. Normally in games R1 trigger is for sprint but here it is R2. Thus due to habit i was keeping R1 pressed for sprint initially which must have resulted in the tap on the boundary. :p

I just had my Career Mode NSW team bowled out for 30 in a shield match against SA. I am the opener and I was the 7th wicket to fall. Callum Ferguson and Phil Hughes open the bowling for SA which is a major flaw.

It seems like every delivery from the AI to me is short and down the leg side. In 4 innings I have not been able to play an off side stroke so I'm either getting caught behind off feint knicks or caught at leg slip. Batting is very annoying in career mode.

10 an over would really worry me in tests. However i have not seen that in many short games let alone other tests?!

The game is definitely good - the best we've ever had. However, it isn't completely bug-free. So, for the developers, Ross, here are a few things you might want to look into. Some of the following have already been mentioned:

1. Almost all the time when a fielder dives to catch the ball, the commentators say that he saved an absolute boundary, even if the ball is crawling within the 30-yard circle.

2. I was playing offline 2-player game, I missed a ball, the 2nd player hit the stumps while I was within my crease. After the bails were broken, I started running, but I was declared run-out.

3. Don't want to sound like a broken record, but every bowler bowls straight and leg-side lines, no outside off-stump bowling.

4. For me, I guess the AI field settings is probably the biggest issue. It would be better to have only 4-5 preset settings, instead of dozens of presets, provided if they are more realistic and accurate as real-time cricket. Too many close catchers, short-leg and slips, make it really easy to exploit runs and fielders.

5. Fielders, especially the bowler, is almost always super-human when it comes to catching and stopping the balls.

6. I haven't seen (yet) a keeper missing the way-down-the-leg-side wide ball.

7. The replays need a major overhaul. I guess, the frequency needs to be toned down to make them more special. More importantly, if you hit a six, or if there is an awesome catch in the deep or an excellent stop at the boundary, the replays don't focus on that. They always focus on the shot, all the times.

8. It would be good to have a few more options - or at least one better fielding camera option. Sometimes, it becomes extremely hard to judge a run right after you hit the ball. Sure the broadcast fielding camera works, but it seems ugly (sorry).

9. A very important one! The defensive shot should be revamped. It should be much more simple to play a dot ball. Something on the lines of "ducking/leaving" the ball. So, as in real life, if you're in no position to play a shot, you should be able to just block it. Currently, playing the defensive shot has the same mechanics as a playing an aggressive shot - which, if you think, doesn't make much sense.

I can't recall some other issues at the moment. Don't get me wrong. It is a wonderful game, and I'm totally hooked. But as loyal fans and supporters, it is our duty to point-out the negatives, too. Hopefully, the developers will soon start working on these issues. :thumbs

Adding some more points here:

10. It is almost impossible to see the fielders in the deep (while looking in the 1st person view before the ball is delivered). I always somehow miss one or two fielders and play a shot where I thought the boundary is uncovered, only to be caught in the deep. There should be a mini-radar sort of thing for that. A good idea is to add a fade-in when the bowler starts running, and the radar fades out before the bowler is about to jump.

11. There should be a few more pop-ups of the scorecard, runs, partnerships, comparisons during the gameplay.

12. There should be some sort of automatic setting which brings in the Spiderwheel, Manhattan graph, run-rate bar, etc. during the gameplay.

Last edited:
I wonder if having batsmen toned down from aggressive would help test run rates.

Also just a thought, i dont have the game but are bowlers classed as aggressive etc? If so could that mean they attack the stumps more? Hence all the straight deliveries???

I have the hang of pace bowling but batting is near to impossible at pro level for me. I have read the manual but I am unable to decide my foot movement early enough when pacing pace. I have not crossed thirty runs against opponents. Some tips would be nice.

I have the hang of pace bowling but batting is near to impossible at pro level for me. I have read the manual but I am unable to decide my foot movement early enough when pacing pace. I have not crossed thirty runs against opponents. Some tips would be nice.

Same problem with me, but I guess I've got a little better at it - still, not good enough though.

I know it doesn't sound sexy, but I (kind of) premeditate my shots. I usually keep my weight on the front-foot and then try to play the shots. It takes that fraction of moment away, which makes the batting a little bit easier. If the bowler bowls a short ball, I try to adjust as much as I can and hope for the good thing! :P

I have found that it is much easier to play fast bowlers of the back foot. Even yorkers can be driven stright or through cover off the back but then you miss out on the aesthetics of front foot batting. I hope I can overcome this batting learning curve soon enough. I have basically stopped playing career mode because of my inability to bat.

Same problem with me, but I guess I've got a little better at it - still, not good enough though.

I know it doesn't sound sexy, but I (kind of) premeditate my shots. I usually keep my weight on the front-foot and then try to play the shots. It takes that fraction of moment away, which makes the batting a little bit easier. If the bowler bowls a short ball, I try to adjust as much as I can and hope for the good thing! :P

It's absolutely okay. That's what Suresh Raina has been doing all his life. Somehow managing the short balls. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread