Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

And that is exactly how it works in the game as well doesn't it.....defensive shots are easier than aggressive shots.....specially on higher levels.

And the point I was making was that even in real cricket 'under certain conditions' playing an aggressive shot is more easier than defending it and the fact that to play a defensive shot you need an equal amount of concentration as a batsmen (hence the statement that it's equally as probable to get you out as an aggressive shot if you mess up the footwork, bat position, body position etc). In real world cricket blocking the ball does not guarantee success and certainly not if you play down the wrong line.

Disagree, its harder to execute a defensive stroke than a normal stroke.

For a block you have to press the trigger, aim it and select foot placement. Three layers of complexity, compared to two for other shots.

IMO it should be one layer of complexity - a default stroke, for example not touching the left stick maybe. Or just let the left stick go and choose the directon you want to block it.

For a block you have to press the trigger, aim it and select foot placement. Three layers of complexity, compared to two for other shots.

IMO it should be one layer of complexity - a default stroke, for example not touching the left stick maybe. Or just let the left stick go and choose the directon you want to block it.

How would you defend with soft hands and control the power if that is the case?

The problem I'm having is there are way too many control options to do what Brian Lara Cricket could do all up with a d-pad and 1 button and to this day still be as fun as ever.

This game is good though, a test of will and patience but good.

It's really not, you just click a trigger... you can even do it right before you push R1 forward to change your mind at the last moment, which is exactly how it works in real cricket. You NEVER premeditate a defensive shot! Coaches tell you that all the time, because that's negative cricket, which is not the modern game. You obviously premeditate all sorts of other shots, especially "power" or attacking shots and the game replicates that. Having the default R1 trigger movements as defensive is negative, boring cricket and not at all reflective of the modern game which is all about scoring runs, even in tests.

So what, you want batting to be LESS complex? Back to arcade click a button and hit a four. I think you're missing the point on what they're trying to accomplish here. Batting, in real cricket requires at LEAST two movements. One of the arms, one of the feet. That's what this game is trying to replicate with the L1 and R1 layout. Then you add in the 3rd "movement" if you will of deciding your ATTITUDE towards the game, at that particular moment. Your mindset, if you will. Are you just pushing for a single? If so, just push the trigger for a single. Are you going on the defensive, then pull the trigger and go on the defensive... are you going all out to slog it? Then pull the trigger and go all out.

It's a perfect, natural, intuitive system and the more you embrace it the easier it becomes. Had a number of times (not many, but a few) where I was "indecisive" and too late on changing my mind from a particular shot to a defensive shot and, not surprisingly, spooned it straight up the air and I think I was LBW on the other occasion... so it works. As I said above, it's done for purely positive gameplay reasons. You're looking to score every ball, rather than having the controls dictate to you an "easy out" with a defensive shot. You actually have to INVOKE a defensive mindset, which again, should be a challenge as it is in real life.

Again, completely disagree for the multitude of reasons I've layed out above, but mostly for the CORE gameplay motif of "positive" cricket, rather than negative cricket. Too many cricket games in the past made a defensive mindset too easy. Ashes 09 had you automatically-ducking or avoiding without user-input! Which is ridiculous... No, defensive shots should be just as challenging as attacking shots, with the middle ground of pushing a single, or timing it "well enough" to cover being the middle-ground of accessible, so you have access to get off strike if you need to.

Perfectly replicates how batting flows when you're doing it in a match.

I will be almost giddy when this game comes out on Steam. Until then I shall have to live in envy of the console crowd.

Just so I understand clearly, people are finding the batting OK in all areas of the game except career?

BTW Nets are easier in the CA for all sorts of reasons, one of which you are Bradman in the Nets.

----------

How to PlanetCricket -
1 - Find something Ross says
2 - Take it to the absolute worst possible interpretation of what was said
3 - Post that as fact
4 - ???
5 - Profit

That is a most reasonable summation.

I definitely find career mode batting incredibly tough, seem to unable to execute power shots correctly, but that's more a case of my player only playing a few games at this point, I assume...

I've got it nailed in the "Arcade" or whatever versions, I have played one game on "Pro" and got hammered so I'm not moving up a level anytime soon.

I'm just gonna shut up and play the game some more before piping up cos I've only had it a day and I do like it a lot despite my overeagerness to become a Cricketing legend overnight lol.

Good things take time...:yes

I suggest Let people play on the more difficult levees and see how the opponent batsman is scoring. Right now people are just playing at the normal difficulty level. Would love to see someone try Veteran and Legend difficulty levels to see if they are getting the ai batsmen out cheaply consistently and then I will make my judgement.

Also if AI is indeed getting out for low scores on those higher levels, even then it's more about making the AI bat more sensibly than making bowling tough (I believe that's what you all mean anyways when you say bowling should be tough as control wise I think BigAnt got it absolutely right.). From the videos posted so far on Pro difficulty levels I see batsmen is making silly mistakes and getting out to rubbish deliveries......that might not happen when you level up.

Will do today as soon as I receive the game....:D

I'm finding the leap between amatuer and pro pretty huge in terms of batting (not playing career mode). On amatuer I can take 20 off each over pretty easily, while on pro I struggle to not get rolled for 40.

Disclaimer: I might just be really bad.

Been playing the game for a couple of days now and here are some impressions.

This is by far the most interesting cricket game to come in a long time, the controls are quite different and they definitely are testing. The problem i have with this game has got to do with the leap in difficulty from Amateur to Pro. On Amateur with batting it definitely does seem way easier to time the ball and play the shots without premeditating, on Pro this is really overly too hard. Theres just too much to do with first picking up the line and then picking up the length and then playing appropriate shot, alot of the time i then resort to premeditating shots which is bad because getting bowled does happen alot if you do premeditate.If Big Ant can find a difficulty level between Amateur & Pro that probably would the best for everyone.

And that is the main gripe i have with this game at the moment, Pro difficulty is just too much of a leap from Amateur to the point where it does make playing the game kind of off putting and because of how easier Amateur difficulty is , your not really going to be learning or mastering anything if you play countless hours on Amateur. So that i believe is the main problem here otherwise it excels in nearly every other department. Bowling is fun, more fun than it has ever been in a cricket game, the animations look really good but Batting just needs some tweaking with the difficulty level.

Since no one has brought it up, is the non-striker still AI controlled when it comes to running between the wicket? Or is it completely user controlled now?

I have to agree with what Ross said a few posts back. If you make a defensive shot too easy, it will become a way to cheese online.

It's really not, you just click a trigger... you can even do it right before you push R1 forward to change your mind at the last moment, which is exactly how it works in real cricket. You NEVER premeditate a defensive shot! Coaches tell you that all the time, because that's negative cricket, which is not the modern game. You obviously premeditate all sorts of other shots, especially "power" or attacking shots and the game replicates that. Having the default R1 trigger movements as defensive is negative, boring cricket and not at all reflective of the modern game which is all about scoring runs, even in tests.

Exactly, defense should not be premeditated. But the three layers of complexity forces it to be premeditated. As you say "power" shots are premeditated. Then why should the opposite trigger be involved for a non-premeditated shot?

In real cricket a defensive shot is generally more compact and involves less complex movements than an attacking stoke. Eg: a back foot defence is simply getting in line with the ball from a normal stance as opposed to full blooded cover drive that requires getting the foot to the ball, a high back lift and hitting through it and transferring weight through the stroke. The controls should replicate this IMO. Keep the triggers for premeditating. Keep the sticks for the reactive element.

Just my opinion. I think defence is the core fundamental of building an innings.

----------

Just so I understand clearly, people are finding the batting OK in all areas of the game except career?

BTW Nets are easier in the CA for all sorts of reasons, one of which you are Bradman in the Nets.

----------

That is a most reasonable summation.

Why doesnt it just replicate whats in the game? I thought that was the point of net practice.

And Bradman is at a default average ability isnt he? And you can change that.

I find batting in matches difficult full stop. Compared to bowling anyway. Of course its harder in early career cos your player hasnt developed the skills.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread