Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

And I wish Big Ant make the bowling pretty hard as well. Nothing like chasing leather for a couple of days with AI posting 600+ and when your time comes to bat, you get bundled out for less than 200 :yes

The easy bowling is mainly on pro difficulty, it's just hard to raise the over all game difficulty when batting is such a challenge for some people at the moment.

Career batting...hard? Pfft. :D

sI2biC2l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But what about players like Amla who is precise I believe. Same approach?

Until the first wicket fell and Amla came out I was bowling stump to stump. First 6 balls Amla defended and slogged one for a boundary over mid wicket. On an average nearly every over all the batsmen were slogging atleast one ball. May be I am missing some trick in the bowling.

i know you guys are saying bowling is easy by that do you mean the AI batting isn't very good and not for the timing of input for bowling on that difficulty? ... compared to the difficulty you have set?

Snowy - read. A common story.

I get it. I already recognised the point that some people find batting more difficult. Just like some people find bowling more difficult.

If there is scope to adjust the difficulty, then Big Ant would look at it (just like they have in previous games). The game is 2-3 days old. Perhaps people need to spend a little bit more time learning a new mechanic before asserting that the batting difficulty absolutely must be modified. If this was a month after release, it would probably have a bit more weight to it. After 2-3 days? You have to give it more time.

Ultimately I am in agreement with you that some people find batting difficult. I absolutely disagree with you though that it is an absolute must-fix after only having the game for this amount of time.

Last edited:
The easy bowling is mainly on pro difficulty, it's just hard to raise the over all game difficulty when batting is such a challenge for some people at the moment.

My point was that as a newbie I should suck at both batting and bowling, even at PRO level. If I'm trying to come to grips with bowling I expect to be taken to cleaners by AI and they should post a humongous total. I want this game to be as challenging as possible coz greater the challenge, better the longevity.

I got hang of bowling pretty early on in the game. In fact my career player got five for in first innings he bowled in. He is a batting allrounder. The batting is however a completely different story. I tried to learn this art by practicing in nets and causal matches for two hours and still could not overcome the challenge.

I'm sure @BigAntStudios will ramp up the bowling difficulty as well via a patch :yes

I think the perfect difficulty balance would be:

Bowling: veteren
Batting: something slightly easier than pro. Or take the batting in the nets at pro and transfer it into the game.

In before sarcastic comment "you mean bat in the nets in a match"

No, I mean, make it so the bowling indicator appears slightly earlier and is more visible like it appears to be in the nets.

----------

i know you guys are saying bowling is easy by that do you mean the AI batting isn't very good and not for the timing of input for bowling on that difficulty? ... compared to the difficulty you have set?

AI offer way to many chances at pro difficulty. And really bad balls can get wickets at about the same probability as good balls.

----------

I get it. I already recognised the point that some people find batting more difficult. Just like some people find bowling more difficult.

If there is scope to adjust the difficulty, then Big Ant would look at it (just like they have in previous games). The game is 2-3 days old. Perhaps people need to spend a little bit more time learning a new mechanic before asserting that the batting difficulty absolutely must be modified. If this was a month after release, it would probably have a bit more weight to it. After 2-3 days? You have to give it more time.

Ultimately I am in agreement with you that some people find batting difficult. I absolutely disagree with you though that it is an absolute must-fix after only having the game for this amount of time.

I propose we agree to disagree. :-)

I dont think a majority of people, except the absolute diehards like the people around here, will give a game a couple of months to get good at just one aspect, while the other aspects remain too easy. The average gamer's attention span isnt that big.
They will get frustrated/bored. Especially when there are other games out there which offer better balances of difficulty that can entice them.

A balancing of difficulty is required very soon to keep them interested.

I think the ability to tinker with difficulty sliders ala: many EA and 2K sports games would be awesome.

Last edited:
Going through the posts, it seems noone is playing on amature difficulty. Is it too easy and no fun. I am getting the game in an hour and was planning to play initial 5-10 games at little easy difficulties.

Going through the posts, it seems noone is playing on amature difficulty. Is it too easy and no fun. I am getting the game in an hour and was planning to play initial 5-10 games at little easy difficulties.

Amateur is very easy - good for picking up the controls but

The problems I'm having are that there seems to be too much difficulty with the difficulty learning to play, causing what should be an easy to play game to be too layered in complexity playing properly, causing frustration with the difficulty learning to cope with the seemingly easy but hard to master difficulty...if that makes any sense...

So many times I've attempted to play the ball to mid off but then played across the line towards midwicket, cursed the game for incorrectly registering my input, only to look down and see my thumb is indeed pointed to midwicket afterall. Did not expect that at all, and it's extremely realistic in terms of how real-life batting works, so kudos.

happens to me too while playing in cricket academy. When the shot doesn't go where I want to I feel the game doesn't have much option to send the ball in that direction but then I check my thumb and realize the shot just went where my thumb sent it ;)

To play a straight shot sometimes I push the trigger from the edge,which clearly works, just like how MattW showed in one of the earlier videos of controller tutorial.

M johnson and sami, what camera you guys setup while batting? If it is not behind the keeper then you must activate the invert batting, maybe that is the reason you guys cant bat well? Just trying to be some sort of help...

I find playing defensively easier than being aggressive. In real cricket that is. Ask me not to get out for a session and i will do it without a problem. Ask me to score 20 in 10 balls...i will get out first ball.

And that is exactly how it works in the game as well doesn't it.....defensive shots are easier than aggressive shots.....specially on higher levels.

And the point I was making was that even in real cricket 'under certain conditions' playing an aggressive shot is more easier than defending it and the fact that to play a defensive shot you need an equal amount of concentration as a batsmen (hence the statement that it's equally as probable to get you out as an aggressive shot if you mess up the footwork, bat position, body position etc). In real world cricket blocking the ball does not guarantee success and certainly not if you play down the wrong line.

anyone know if there's a way to see your players career statistics easily in game and out of game? I've found what I think are season stats in the competition part but to find those you need to filter for your team it seems. Have i missed them elsewhere? or a location that shows my stats for all comps at once i.e fc, od, t20?

Users who are viewing this thread