Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Most people have a fault that effects their line in bowling, the thumb goes in an arc instead of straight, you need to adjust for it like you would adjust in golf if you know you have a natural slice or hook.

Good luck! :)

quick question on the bowling, are you supposed to make your down-up movements on the right trigger all are one motion? I.e pull down hold until time to release then push up? I find I can just push it down at the jump point without holding the stick down then push it up at the release point, doing this there's not much chance of ruining your line. is that the intended play method?

Snowy is exactly right. You need practice. I know this cos I need practice, Im horrible at barting but its good, its a challenge...why would you want it to be a walk in the park, thats no fun

From my experience in the nets (I appreciate it's different) it is usually pretty instinctive to me that you play both at the same time. Also, you say you have to make 2 decisions quickly, but isn't that what you do when you play cricket normally?

The only thing that troubles me is that it looks like you have to premeditate defensive and aggressive shots. This may be because my PC controller doesn't have analog triggers, but I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

No doubt batting in the nets is very good and pretty much spot on(ANY DIFFICULTY). the circle around the ball appears at just about the right time where it is a good tough challenge but not to the point where there is guess work going on. In actual matches there is a very subtle delay on when the circle appears around the ball.

As for the bowling, I've said it before and will say it again, it is pure genius and you are always in control of your line,length(to a certain extent),spin/swing and pace right to the point of release. I am more impressed with the bowling in this game than i have ever been with anything i have ever seen in any sports games previously.

I'm still getting over the fact that I need to build an innings. In a cricket game. It's doing my head in.

I'm still getting over the fact that I need to build an innings. In a cricket game. It's doing my head in.

I know, right!? What's even scarier is you're doing it only 50% of the time and hoping the AI at the other end doesn't bottle it. Had a great partnership going with Khawaja this morning and we were about 120 runs behind in a four day match, I had got to 20 and he was a few runs away from a 50 then out of nowhere he tries to hit Agar (I think?) out of the park! Nick, straight to the keeper... Gone. I was fuming, few balls later I was still frustrated and hit one straight to mid on and I was out.

Huge collapse and Queensland lose the match... Actions, reactions and consequences...

Unreal.

'Cept it's very real, because it's Don Bradman Cricket 14

It's hard to please everyone, we will tune difficulty over time, and as above some people will "get" batting and find it easier than bowling and vice-versa - just like real life.

I am sure Warne found it easier to bowl than bat, that doesn't mean bowling is easier. I'm sure Bradman found it easier to bat then to bowl, doesn't mean batting is easier.

We need to find a balance that spreads the strengths and weaknesses around and then this game will be great.

----------

FWIW I find batting way easier in this game than bowling, especially Spin.

I have what I think is a great control scheme for a future game or patch Ross. I'll PM you it once I write it up. Could be a game changer if it works as good as I think it might. :)

Just when I was thinking your post was making so much sense I ran into this (and to top it you marked it as the most imp point).

All I would ask you is, have you ever played real cricket in life?? If you have, which I'm sure is true, you would know that playing a defensive shot can be equally or more difficult than playing an aggressive shot in real life as well. It all depends on the kind of delivery and your position. At time it's easier to hit a ball aggressively than to defend it. The game captures this facet of cricket 'perfectly'.
Watch more cricket dude.....batsmen get out on defensive strokes as much as they do on aggressive ones.

----------
QUOTE]

Completely disagree with this. Question I ask - have you ever played competitive cricket? Ever? If batsmen get out playing defensive strokes which make them no runs as much as they do on aggressive ones then why do they play them then? What is the point of the defensive stroke? To look good??? Why dont you see batsman who are batting for a draw attempting massive cover drives if apparently "a defensive shot can be equally or more difficult than playing an aggressive shot in real life as well".

Defense is all about PROTECTING YOUR WICKET. This is cricket 101. Getting your head in line with the ball, smothering the ball, and not getting out.

In the game, defense is just as hard to execute as a standard stroke. And you cant be a good batsman, in test cricket anyway, without having a sound defence as a base foundation.

His initial post made perfect sense. The default stroke to play should be defence. But in the game its easier to execute a riskier straight drive than a defensive stroke.

Last edited:
^^^
Couldn't agree more. Yes, a batsman can very well get out to a defensive shot but the chances of that happening compared to getting out while playing an aggressive shot are considerably less.

----------

I found this lengthy 50 min video on youtube which was pretty good...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just when I was thinking your post was making so much sense I ran into this (and to top it you marked it as the most imp point).

All I would ask you is, have you ever played real cricket in life?? If you have, which I'm sure is true, you would know that playing a defensive shot can be equally or more difficult than playing an aggressive shot in real life as well. It all depends on the kind of delivery and your position. At time it's easier to hit a ball aggressively than to defend it. The game captures this facet of cricket 'perfectly'.

Watch more cricket dude.....batsmen get out on defensive strokes as much as they do on aggressive ones.

----------

Isn't the line of the delivery controlled by the movement of the Right Stick??? I think the left stick is for the seam position.

I find playing defensively easier than being aggressive. In real cricket that is. Ask me not to get out for a session and i will do it without a problem. Ask me to score 20 in 10 balls...i will get out first ball.

Most of those things are clutching at straws really except for 1 thing. The batting.

Batting is whack and it's dead set doing my head in. It is just impossible to pick up both line and length. You either get one or the other and YES! i know about the green circle around the ball.

You can still make runs if you premeditate playing on the front or back foot all the time but that kind of ruins the experience of the game because some of the shots just look ugly and unrealistic.

This is for pro difficulty and above. If you are waiting for the ball to be bowled before you pick which foot to play it off and what direction to hit in then you wont be making many runs and i find it hard to believe anyone that says otherwise.

The bowling is awesome though, pace and spin. The whole concept around the bowling is genius.

I understand some people will have issues with batting a lot. It takes a great deal of concentration to read the ball. I am sire depending on feedbacks BA might consider changing some of the little stuffs. For example making the circle becoming visible a bit early than it currently does. I am not sure how bowling works so that might not be possible.

Yeah, I added that, and every other video of DBC since it's come out (apart from a few very short mobile ones) to the "Gameplay Videos" thread, but people don't seem to be visiting it...

My bad! Didn't even know a gameplay video thread exists :p

Maybe that thread needs to be stickied along with "First Impressions" thread.

Gameplay balance dictates that blocking cannot be easy.

Let the game settle in and we will see what people think in a couple of weeks - don't know about you but I don't want to have someone 8 wickets down and them being able to block easily until a draw.

Users who are viewing this thread