Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Let the game settle in and we will see what people think in a couple of weeks - don't know about you but I don't want to have someone 8 wickets down and them being able to block easily until a draw.

in the nets i'd always nick a front foot defence shot and i love it! Smile everytime :) No cricket game has ever got the nicks right and safely say you guys have!

Newsflash - that sort of the whole point of the lowest difficulty setting

Its simple. There is a huge imbalance between bowling and batting difficulty in the game. And it has the potential to reduce the playability and longetivity of the game.

The learning curves for bowling and batting are not the same. They should be.

Assuming the same amount of hours are put into batting and bowling, its easier to become a succesful as a bowler than a batsman.

This needs to be fixed, or else the casual gamer is going to get frustrated and look at what else is on their shelf to play, like I am already.

Paid $100 for this and already Im contemplating if it was a good idea. Thankfully EB games 7 day return policy keeps my options open.

Gameplay balance dictates that blocking cannot be easy.

Let the game settle in and we will see what people think in a couple of weeks - don't know about you but I don't want to have someone 8 wickets down and them being able to block easily until a draw.

I think this is a good thing to keep in mind, but the problem is blocking is actually relatively easy when you pre-meditate it, which is exactly what someone in that situation would do.

The problem with blocking is that the reactions required to play a defensive shot aren't any easier than the reactions required to play an attacking shot, which isn't really true in real life.

Other than this, really enjoying the challenge of batting, even if I am finding it very very hard. The satisfaction of getting foot placement, shot direction and timing all right at once and seeing the ball race to the boundary is immense (although rare).

Its simple. There is a huge imbalance between bowling and batting difficulty in the game. And it has the potential to reduce the playability and longetivity of the game.

Assuming the same amount of hours are put into batting and bowling, its easier to become a succesful as a bowler than a batsman.

This needs to be fixed, or else the casual gamer is going to get frustrated and look at what else is on their shelf to play, like I am already.

Paid $100 for this and already Im contemplating if it was a good idea. Thankfully EB games 7 day return policy keeps my options open.

wow... just wow...

You need to understand that not everyone is having the same experience as you. This isn't a black and white issue of batting being harder than bowling. Some find batting much easier than bowling.

Batting in the nets on the harder difficulties is just about perfect IMO because the circle around the ball appears at just about the perfect time for you to pick your footwork and judge the line but you still make mistakes and it's a good challenge.

It is ever so slightly different in matches though, to the point were a fair amount of the time there is guess work going on.

+1 with this.

Picking up line and length in matches is much harder than the nets, at the same corresponding difficulty.

If the experience of batting in the middle could replicate the nets, like you think it would, then the game would be great.

----------

You need to understand that not everyone is having the same experience as you. This isn't a black and white issue of batting being harder than bowling. Some find batting much easier than bowling.

You need to understand that 99% of people are having the same experience as me. Read the threads.

And what would you know??? You havent even played pro yet!!!! Jesus!

+1 with this.

Picking up line and length in matches is much harder than the nets, at the same corresponding difficulty.

If the experience of batting in the middle could replicate the nets, like you think it would, then the game would be great.

----------

You need to understand that 99% of people are having the same experience as me. Read the threads.

And what would you know??? You havent even played pro yet!!!! Jesus!

If you had 'read the threads' you would know I've also played on pro, I just haven't posted a scorecard from it. Would you like me to post a scorecard from every game I play just so you know how I'm going?

And a citation is required for the 99%.

Happy to be proven wrong if anyone can be bothered tallying the complaints throughout the various threads, but it seems people are mostly complaining more about batting difficulty than bowling difficulty. It does generally seem to me like the difficulty levels are a little out of balance when it comes to batting and bowling. I feel like I could take a step up in bowling difficulty, but definitely couldn't move up in batting difficulty.

You need to understand that not everyone is having the same experience as you. Some find batting much easier than bowling.

But Snowy one thing which definitely strikes you when you watch all those DBC 14 gameplay videos is that you don't see AI scoring too many against human opponent. In nearly all those videos the AI barely puts up a respectable total and I would love AI batting to be a lot more solid. AI should be able to post a 180+ score in a T20 and 300+ in odis if I'm a newbie and bowling poorly.

Even the scorecards I have seen on other sites (e.g., IVG) point to a similar trend, i.e. it's pretty easy to bundle out AI batsmen. The point 'Mitchs Johnson' is making is a valid one, i.e. once you get a handle on batting and are reasonably proficient at scoring runs, offline mode will become an exercise in futility owing to AI not being able to put competitive total.

If you had 'read the threads' you would know I've also played on pro, I just haven't posted a scorecard from it. Would you like me to post a scorecard from every game I play just so you know how I'm going?

And a citation is required for the 99%.

Please do.

Including the 95% of games where you bowl the AI out for a piss poor score then struggle to make it yourself. Even - maybe? Realistic? no.

Please do.

in fact show me every game on pro difficulty. Including 95% of games where you bowl the AI out for a piss poor score then struggle to make it yourself. Even - maybe? Realistic? no.

I'm not even trying to be confrontational. You took it there.

The point still stands that the difficulty is not a black and white issue like you're trying to proclaim.

I'm not even trying to be confrontational. You took it there.

The point still stands that the difficulty is not a black and white issue like you're trying to proclaim.

I respect your point, but the point Im trying to make is different. Most people are finding batting too hard and bowling too easy mate.

And I think games should be made to tailor for the majority of people's gaming experiences. Not outliers -ie: freaks who are belting tons in veteren mode.

My gaming experience has been of an imbalance in difficulty. I confidently think I would represent the majority of people here.

I respect your point, but the point Im trying to make is different. Most people are finding batting too hard and bowling too easy mate.

And I think games should be made to tailor for the majority of people's gaming experiences. Not outliers -ie: freaks who are belting tons in veteren mode.

My gaming experience has been of an imbalance in difficulty. I confidently think I would represent the majority of people here.

And I wish Big Ant make the bowling pretty hard as well. Nothing like chasing leather for a couple of days with AI posting 600+ and when your time comes to bat, you get bundled out for less than 200 :yes

I got hang of bowling pretty early on in the game. In fact my career player got five for in first innings he bowled in. He is a batting allrounder. The batting is however a completely different story. I tried to learn this art by practicing in nets and causal matches for two hours and still could not overcome the challenge.

I got hang of bowling pretty early on in the game. In fact my career player got five for in first innings he bowled in. He is a batting allrounder. The batting is however a completely different story. I tried to learn this art by practicing in nets and causal matches for two hours and still could not overcome the challenge.

Snowy - read. A common story.

Users who are viewing this thread