Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Newsflash - that sort of the whole point of the lowest difficulty setting

your just being difficult mate, I understand we all want this game to be incredible (and it can be) but with all the people having issues with the batting it's annoying to have the bowling be so easy. On pro difficulty as a BATTING all rounder I am told my skills are so low it'll take a couple seasons to make runs yet I can take 7 for 20 in my third match and a hattrick in a 4 wicket over in my 6th match and have a bowling average under 15 while I'm still low skilled and on a difficulty where I can't make runs?

This is an impressions thread, my impressions may vary from yours, you may be better at the game than I am, but I still have a right to post my feelings on the game right now and from what I have seen a lot of other posters have had the same impressions I have had so far.

Did you play the academy? At least the nets mode gives you a timing indicator which might help?

Batting in the nets on the harder difficulties is just about perfect IMO because the circle around the ball appears at just about the perfect time for you to pick your footwork and judge the line but you still make mistakes and it's a good challenge.

It is ever so slightly different in matches though, to the point were a fair amount of the time there is guess work going on.

your just being difficult mate, snip

I'd like you to explain how my post is in anyway preventing you from expressing your impressions.

There are other people on here commenting on how they've got the hang of batting, but find bowling more difficult. This isn't some black and white issue where 'batting is too hard'. Different people are good at different things.

There is no 'issue' around batting other than some people aren't used to it yet because the game has been out for about 48 hours.

your just being difficult mate, I understand we all want this game to be incredible (and it can be) but with all the people having issues with the batting it's annoying to have the bowling be so easy. On pro difficulty as a BATTING all rounder I am told my skills are so low it'll take a couple seasons to make runs yet I can take 7 for 20 in my third match and a hattrick in a 4 wicket over in my 6th match and have a bowling average under 15 while I'm still low skilled and on a difficulty where I can't make runs?

This is an impressions thread, my impressions may vary from yours, you may be better at the game than I am, but I still have a right to post my feelings on the game right now and from what I have seen a lot of other posters have had the same impressions I have had so far.

No point arguing with these guys they will see for themselves. Snowy from what i have seen on his posts has played the majority of this game on amateur and the other 2 or 3 that are arguing with us haven't even touched the game.

I have a feeling we have both played enough hours of this game on pro difficulty and above to realise these is a vast difference between the batting and bowling difficulties.

Yeh you're allowed to express your impressions, just like I'm allowed to express mine.

There are other people on here commenting on how they've got the hang of batting, but find bowling more difficult. This isn't some black and white issue where 'batting is too hard'. Different people are good at different things.

There is no 'issue' around batting other than some people aren't used to it yet because the game has been out for about 48 hours.

until you post something constructive your posts aren't contributing, I'm open to help, I've asked for help yet all your doing is posting that I'm wrong. How are you having success? Post tips? Are you pre meditating as some say? Are you playing back foot only as others say? Are you avoiding drives and just cutting and pulling as some say? What are you doing and having success with?

That would be something constructive to post rather than trying to put down anyone who's having difficulties. I've posted replies to some people in other threads trying to help with bowling where I could.

No point arguing with these guys they will see for themselves. Snowy from what i have seen on his posts has played the majority of this game on amateur and the other 2 or 3 that are arguing with us haven't even touched the game.

I have a feeling we have both played enough hours of this game on pro difficulty and above to realise these is a vast difference between the batting and bowling difficulties.

Yeh maybe don't ignore the post where I told you I've also played on Pro difficulty.

----------

until you post something constructive your posts aren't contributing, I'm open to help, I've asked for help yet all your doing is posting that I'm wrong. How are you having success? Post tips? Are you pre meditating as some say? Are you playing back foot only as others say? Are you avoiding drives and just cutting and pulling as some say? What are you doing and having success with?

That would be something constructive to post rather than trying to put down anyone who's having difficulties. I've posted replies to some people in other threads trying to help with bowling where I could.

Ok just to repeat the legitimate advice I said to you earlier - go back to the tutorial mode, or go play in the nets. That's how everyone else has seemingly figured out how to bat. I'm having success by watching the ball. And trying to hit the appropriate ball to where fielders aren't. You can't hit every ball to some pre-determined area. You have to actually defend some times, and wait for the right ball.

MattW has posted a video on either his YT channel or the PlanetCricket YT channel that shows his stick movements when playing in the nets. That might be of use to someone who finds batting difficult.

Last edited:
I think it's amazing that the batting controls have actually simulated the effects of a real-life technical fault. For whatever reason, having to make fast-reaction movements with the right stick causes me to constantly move it further to the right than I intend a lot of the time, essentially meaning I'm a bottom-handed player (or a top-handed player when there's a LHB on strike).*

I'm not sure if this actually happens to anyone else, or was intended if it was, or if I'm just unco with my right thumb, but I find it pretty awesome in general that little habits, strengths and preferences create strong points and technical faults in your batting on this game, much as they do in real life. All down to having to react so soon after making a decision IMO.

*NOTE: To avoid that being totally confusing I should probably mention I'm playing with the broadcast camera and "inverted batting"

Last edited:
I think it's amazing that the batting controls have actually simulated the effects of a real-life technical fault. For whatever reason, having to make fast-reaction movements with the right stick causes me to constantly move it further to the right than I intend a lot of the time, essentially meaning I'm a bottom-handed player (or a top-handed player when there's a LHB on strike).

I'm not sure if this actually happens to anyone else, or was intended if it was, or if I'm just unco with my right thumb, but I find it pretty awesome in general that little habits, strengths and preferences create strong points and technical faults in your batting on this game, much as they do in real life. All down to having to react so soon after making a decision IMO.

It is intentional.

Same for bowling, I love that many of you can't spin but can pace, and vice versa, it means that you need to change it up when you meet different opponents.

You will no doubt have favourite shots and an opponent that knows this will set a field for you and bowl for it - suck you right in :p

I hope this game will be deep enough to last years.... imagine once the guys here get modding :)

I'd like you to explain how my post is in anyway preventing you from expressing your impressions.

Disagree with this post.

Batting (ON HARDER LEVELS)- requires you to have cat like reflexes if you go with the tactic of choosing both your placement and foot work after delivery. You are having to make 2 decisions in very little time and picking up length on a 2d tv is much harder than picking up length when playing real cricket

Bowling- is pretty much the same logic as the old school Olympic games where all you have to do is push LS or RS up/down when in the green zone.(rotate for spin)

Bowling is far more easier to pick up than batting especially batting on pro and above

TRUST ME when people start rolling teams out for 50 and under they are going to want to play on a harder difficulty than pro and thats when you will hear the exact same concerns outbreak and i have mentioned.

Cool. You disagree with my opinion, and I totally disagree with yours regarding 'cat like reflexes'. But to claim there is an issue with something just because you're not good at it yet (after about 2 days no less) is ridiculous.

That's the great thing about the game - some people are better at batting, some people are betting at bowling.

Last edited:
It's hard to please everyone, we will tune difficulty over time, and as above some people will "get" batting and find it easier than bowling and vice-versa - just like real life.

I am sure Warne found it easier to bowl than bat, that doesn't mean bowling is easier. I'm sure Bradman found it easier to bat then to bowl, doesn't mean batting is easier.

We need to find a balance that spreads the strengths and weaknesses around and then this game will be great.

----------

FWIW I find batting way easier in this game than bowling, especially Spin.

Batting (ON HARDER LEVELS)- requires you to have cat like reflexes if you go with the tactic of choosing both your placement and foot work after delivery. You are having to make 2 decisions in very little time and picking up length on a 2d tv is much harder than picking up length when playing real cricket
From my experience in the nets (I appreciate it's different) it is usually pretty instinctive to me that you play both at the same time. Also, you say you have to make 2 decisions quickly, but isn't that what you do when you play cricket normally?

The only thing that troubles me is that it looks like you have to premeditate defensive and aggressive shots. This may be because my PC controller doesn't have analog triggers, but I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

It is intentional.

Same for bowling, I love that many of you can't spin but can pace, and vice versa, it means that you need to change it up when you meet different opponents.

You will no doubt have favourite shots and an opponent that knows this will set a field for you and bowl for it - suck you right in :p

I hope this game will be deep enough to last years.... imagine once the guys here get modding :)

Haha yeah, I did expect to have some shorts I was more comfortable playing than others - picking the ball up in those areas earlier, timing it better etc - but I've been surprised to see my thumb develop a physical technical fault.

So many times I've attempted to play the ball to mid off but then played across the line towards midwicket, cursed the game for incorrectly registering my input, only to look down and see my thumb is indeed pointed to midwicket afterall. Did not expect that at all, and it's extremely realistic in terms of how real-life batting works, so kudos.

The same 'fault' meant I tended to spray all my deliveries down leg when I bowled at first too, but I managed to correct that pretty quickly, and I think it's because I can prepare myself for what I'm doing as I'm running in rather than having to make a snap decision.

Most people have a fault that effects their line in bowling, the thumb goes in an arc instead of straight, you need to adjust for it like you would adjust in golf if you know you have a natural slice or hook.

Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread