Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will see in February. I think it's more a case of how we bat. No matter what our bowling attack will be solid, and we have plenty in the fast bowling stocks so if anyone bows out we will have the back-up. We need some consistent performances from the top order. Bailey needs to perform in the Sydney test to ensure his spot.

you have a quality bowling side, and if injuries clear up plenty of backup, and they will be post-kallis so it could be interesting.

BUT, they have a quality bowling side, arguably better, and most of your top 7 average under-40 so that for me would be the key.

you have a quality bowling side, and if injuries clear up plenty of backup, and they will be post-kallis so it could be interesting.

BUT, they have a quality bowling side, arguably better, and most of your top 7 average under-40 so that for me would be the key.

Yep, agree with pretty much all of that. One person who could be unexpectably key is Nathan Lyon. He loves pitches that bounce more rather than spin and South Africa are still searching for a quality spin option. Batting consistency will ultimately be required if we have any chance of winning the series.

We will see in February. I think it's more a case of how we bat. No matter what our bowling attack will be solid, and we have plenty in the fast bowling stocks so if anyone bows out we will have the back-up. We need some consistent performances from the top order. Bailey needs to perform in the Sydney test to ensure his spot.

In 2012 when our team were at their best (unlike now when they have all folded and in dreadful form) South Africa came over here and all the country thought that we were too good for them. How wrong we were, South Africa are a totally different kettle of fish and tore us apart with ruthless bowling from Steyn, Morkel and co plus the draining batting of Amla, De Villers and co put us to the sword.

Just because you beat a very poor form England side, You think that Australia can hang with South Africa? I think you will be in for a very big shock.

I think if you look at this series, England have actually had some good positions, because the Aussie top 6 aren't that great. Yeah they are all talented, and can fire pretty well but their averages of sub-40 suggest that Clarke excepted you can't expect too much. That's why we have had you 5 or 6 down for not too many several times.

You bat deep but facing Steyn, Morkel and Philander will be a different kettle of fish. Ultimately the real key in this series is how your tail have got you out of trouble and ours has folded.

I could be wrong but i think most of your hundreds have been second innings, when you already had a substantial lead - i.e. under less pressure. It'll be different in SA I think. That's actually what is so depressing from an English perspective - we'll likely be whitewashed by a team that aren't "that" good. If i was re-rating the sides today, there are several English guys I would rate down but other than increased accuracy for Johnson I am not sure there are any Aussies I'd rate up.

South african pitches suit us to a tee

no jaques Kallis who has killed us in the past

steyn aint firing against india

i feel good things ahead for the aussie, and the poms, well, they have just givin up, time for some new heads in that team....

Australia are going to be absolutely slaughtered by South Africa. :facepalm

so far in this series Australia have been:

6 for 132
2 for 75
3 for 65
4 for 174
5 for 143
and 9 for 164

The English bowlers might not be able to finish the job against them but: Morkel, Steyn and Philander will have no trouble getting Australia into those positions and finishing the job. Furthermore South Africa have just made 500 against the second best test side in the world and 7 for 450 against them in the fourth innings of the last test. Whether they have Kallis or not Australia would not be able to match South Africa's bowling or batting line up in Australia, let alone playing in South Africa.

Last edited:
Whether they have Kallis or not Australia would not be able to match South Africa's bowling or batting line up in Australia, let alone playing in South Africa.

Speaking of Kallis, I don't know why he's packing it in. He's pretty close to as good as he ever was and 2-3 more seasons probably wouldn't change that.

He could very well have passed Sachin's mark. Which is probably why the Indians gave Kallis a guard of honour onto the field. :p Just kidding, I bet they were just respecting the man.

In my opinion, he's the most under-rated great player of all time.

Just because you beat a very poor form England side, You think that Australia can hang with South Africa? I think you will be in for a very big shock.

You've misinterpreted me there. South Africa are undeniably the best side in the world. I know beating them at home will be almost impossible, but Australia and South Africa series are always very tight, no matter where they are or the situation either team are in.

I think Australia has the second best Test bowling line up in the world. Unfortunately for us, South Africa has the number one bowling attack. Steyn, Philander and Morkel compliment each other so well and can tear through any batting line up. Their batting line up is world class too, with guys like Smith, Amla, De Villiers and co. The only weaknesses in their team is the lack of a quality spinner and the loss of Kallis. I don't know enough of South African cricket, is there a ready made replacement for him?

The Australian line up is still shaping itself. Johnson, Harris, Siddle and Lyon are a good combination and I doubt that this bowling attack will change for the tour. Bird and Pattinson have just come back from injury and with Faulkner and Coulter-Nile waiting in the wings, it is fair to say our fast bowling stocks will last fine. Lyon is really our only decent spinning option but I don't believe he's had any injury trouble in the past so he should be fine. Our biggest question mark is our batting. Chris Rogers has batted well the past few innings and looks in fine touch. Davey Warner is striking the ball nicely and has been in unbelievable form over the past couple months. Shane Watson looks like he's starting to get back into batting form again, although has another injury cloud over him, mustn't be too bad though considering he bowled in the second innings of the last test. Doubt he'll play in Sydney though. Michael Clarke has been up and down the past couple series based on his usual self, but is still in solid form. Steve Smith has batted alright over the back-to-back Ashes series, but consistency is a real concern. George Bailey is still trying to find his feet, whenever he has looked good has been when he has played more aggressively, in a limited overs manner. He has to perform though as he has Alex Doolan (who may play in Sydney with Watson injured) and Phil Hughes on his toes. Brad Haddin has been in the form of his life with bat and gloves, so he'll be fine. The biggest problem with our batting at the moment is top order consistency, only 1-3 batsmen are performing per innings so accumulating a big total has been challenging. For Australia to win the series the whole batting line up must perform.

With India, guys like Vijay and Pujara, they can block and leave the whole day, its how they play, with Pujara being the next WALL of India,,,hence it was not easy getting their wickets,,,but it'll be different with the Aussies, Warner likes to put bat on ball, and with S.A bowlers swinging away the ball from batsmen its gonna be hard for you top order, I think only Rogers can bat long periods of time but not a concern, Watson not a threat either,,,Clarke doesn't like to be bogged down, so really Aus are in for a tough series especially after winning the Ashes, it'll be expected of them to do well.

On for Kallis,,,we actually had a Kallis for a long time right in the squad, its only a matter of where you put them in the order, Amla is our number 3, a very conservative batsman then you have De Villiers who'll sure go up the order, he can switch between aggressive and conservative, what S.A needs is a wickey to take away the burden from AB and let him concerntrate on his batting,,,and we have de Kock for that and can start down the order in the test arena,,,only in time

Last edited:
South Africa are getting close to the point where they are so good it's scary. :(

Cool Moments (nets)

Thought it would be fun to have a section where people can discuss special or epic moments they have had with the game.

It make you appreciate the efforts of such a relatively small company to create such a complete experience thus far.

My favourite moments are when you set up a marker for a seam bowler right on a perfect length. (Think Glen McGrath) and work out the best way to play the ball.

I have played for hours and still am trying to master it.

You may have played an exquisite hook shot to a difficult ball or been caught dumb founded at a ball that knocked your block off.

What are yours??

Please no bickering about release dates or problems. Search the forum before posting anything that may be irrelevant to this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited:
With India, guys like Vijay and Pujara, they can block and leave the whole day, its how they play, with Pujara being the next WALL of India,,,hence it was not easy getting their wickets,,,but it'll be different with the Aussies, Warner likes to put bat on ball, and with S.A bowlers swinging away the ball from batsmen its gonna be hard for you top order, I think only Rogers can bat long periods of time but not a concern, Watson not a threat either,,,Clarke doesn't like to be bogged down, so really Aus are in for a tough series especially after winning the Ashes, it'll be expected of them to do well.

Rogers can bat for long periods of time but can often become too concerned about batting time rather than actually scoring runs. The way he played in the last innings in Melbourne was much better. He had positive intent and was looking to score. Being able to bat for long periods of time is irrelevant if you're not scoring runs. No matter how good this South African attack is they still give away opportunities to score. Australia needs to take full advantage of these.

David Warner is becoming a really good batsmen. He has a good eye and has an extremely underrated defensive game. He plays his shot and not once this Ashes series has a bowler gotten him out, rather he has gotten himself out; a side effect of the way he plays. I don't think he'll struggle as much as you think.

Watson has always had the potential to be a world class batsman, but his injuries and mindset have interrupted his momentum. In his Perth century and this most recent 83* he has cleared his mind and used a much simpler mindset of 'see ball, hit ball'. He could be hit or miss, but I think you are underrating him there.

Clarke is definitely one of, if not the best Test batsman in the world. His most recent ICC award proves that as well. He can get out to good balls but he is not an easy batsman to bog down. He is very good at rotating the strike and keeping the pressure off. He needs to be the rock for us.

Then there is Smith and Bailey, who I think could be the two who have the biggest question marks next to their names. Smith was the only consistent batsman in the English Ashes and now in Perth made a beautiful century. But that is just his fight. I am not sure whether he is a solid international middle order batsman just yet, this SA series will be really important for him. It is also very important for Bailey if he wants to keep his spot. There are plenty of questions about whether he is up to Test standard, and he'll be looking to prove that he is.

I would say Alex Doolan and Phil Hughes will also be taken on the tour. Alex Doolan is a batsman who can bat for long periods, and he can strike it nicely as well. Has been in pretty good touch for Tasmania and might well be playing in the Sydney test later this week. He has a certain knack of punching above his weight and if called on, could do a nice job. Hughes is pretty well known by now, and although he's been dropped from the Test side, continues to pile on the runs at Shield level. Would be the obvious long-term candidate to succeed Rogers as opener. Has succeeded and struggled against South Africa before but I doubt he'll get a game unless Rogers or Warner succumb to an injury.

Again, I don't think we are better or even close to South Africa, but do think we could give them a run for their money if we can have some batting consistency and bowl as we have this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread