Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

It's the exact same content with a generic backing track

No, it's not. Gameplay footage != Trailer content. What we have only interests those parties who are either aware of a new cricket game or are hardcore fans of the sport.

What a trailer tries to do is excite/build up interest of other casual/unaware gamers. The trailer isn't for us. We are already sold.

No, it's not. Gameplay footage != Trailer content. What we have only interests those parties who are either aware of a new cricket game or are hardcore fans of the sport.

What a trailer tries to do is excite/build up interest of other casual/unaware gamers. The trailer isn't for us. We are already sold.

If the trailer isn't for 'us' and you have no financial interest in Big Ant/the game doing well, then why is a trailer important at all? Why the need to keep asking for it? Pointless. It'll come when it comes. End of.

Why the need to keep asking for it?

Hmm..word of mouth? Sounds familiar? Social media exposure? Spread the word? And if you think a trailer is pointless, then all movies/games/soaps should just do away with it, right? But they aren't. I wonder why.

It'll come when it comes. End of
When did I say I'm desperate for it? I'm only debating the need of it, not the release time.

Beechcroft: I'll bet Big Ant could make a really good table tennis game.

The last five words of that sound like an absolute contradiction!

Still don't get the yearning for a trailer given the fact that we have an hour or twos worth of in game footage now.

from my perspective it's more from the perspective of wanting to see that things are on track and publicity is one aspect of that.[DOUBLEPOST=1479977579][/DOUBLEPOST]
If the trailer isn't for 'us' and you have no financial interest in Big Ant/the game doing well, then why is a trailer important at all? Why the need to keep asking for it? Pointless. It'll come when it comes. End of.

Everyone here as an interest in Big Ant / the game doing well, because nobody else is making console/pc cricket games.

from my perspective it's more from the perspective of wanting to see that things are on track and publicity is one aspect of that.[DOUBLEPOST=1479977579][/DOUBLEPOST]

Everyone here as an interest in Big Ant / the game doing well, because nobody else is making console/pc cricket games.

I agree. But that's not my point.[DOUBLEPOST=1479980230][/DOUBLEPOST]People are wanting the trailer to satisfy their own weird needs for seeing a trailer, not solely because they are interested in the release of it for Big Ant's sake.

Hmm..word of mouth? Sounds familiar? Social media exposure? Spread the word? And if you think a trailer is pointless, then all movies/games/soaps should just do away with it, right? But they aren't. I wonder why.

When did I say I'm desperate for it? I'm only debating the need of it, not the release time.

You're missing my point entirely.

Why is wanting Big Ant to do well so specific to the trailer though? Why not just say START PROMOTING THE GAME MORE BIG ANT. If it was purely because you want to see the game do well then you wouldn't make posts specifically about the trailer, it'd be about promotion as a whole.

As an example...
If you have $1,000 to spend on advertising and ad spots cost $20 which means you'll have 50 spots available.
Now you could start advertising 4 weeks out which means you'll have not quite 2 spots a day for 28 days. Can you maintain hype for a game for 4 weeks with a couple of spots a day?

Or you wait for 2 weeks and you'll have about 3.5 spots per day for 14 days. Sounds a bit better, but you got to maintain that hype still for 2 weeks.

Or...

You can save all your spots for a week out and absolutely saturate the market and tell people that you have a few days to wait.

Or...

Another option is to save all those spots for when the game is released telling them you can buy it now and hit it hard for the busiest retail period of the year.

Which option is best? Well, marketing isn't an exact science but some options are better than others. I would much rather see more Let's Plays of DBC17 than a trailer any day. Speaking of which, I'd be happy to help out Big Ant if they need anybody to do a Let's Play to help generate word of mouth haha :yes

Why is wanting Big Ant to do well so specific to the trailer though? Why not just say START PROMOTING THE GAME MORE BIG ANT. If it was purely because you want to see the game do well then you wouldn't make posts specifically about the trailer, it'd be about promotion as a whole.

there have been lots of posts about promotion in general, and a trailer is a specific part of that.

also, the understanding that these elements are not in BA's hands makes people more antsy. for every unit of confidence we have in BA, we have -2 units of confidence in TruBlu.

there have been lots of posts about promotion in general, and a trailer is a specific part of that

This. A video* is far better than just text/graphics any given day.

* as in official video/trailer by the company who built the game and not just some youtube-er (no offence to Twistie and other youtube-ers)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread