Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

Forget bowling. I played a Test and was asked to follow on. Following on the stamina for one of my openers and no. 3 batsman when they arrived at the crease was 46% and 0% respectively. Apparently sitting with their feet up after being dismissed in the 1st innings wasn't enough to replenish stamina. Sadly the longer format is broken in the game due to stamina and extras (wides/byes) issues. The best games you have is in shorter formats even though extras are a pain in the @$$ with nearly 40-50 extras given by AI in an odi innings. You can see stamina go down for bowlers after they bowl 3-4 overs and the pace drops but in shorter formats it's easier to get over it.

yep. just played days 2 and 3 of my 3 day tour match in the rebel tour i'm doing... as you say broken. batting you have the AI bowling absolute filth - i got 73 extras in the innings, and that was despite several times i rage quit and went back in when i got like 5 wides 3 times in a row. if i took everything they offered i'd have had 100+ extras in the innings. also batting i could feel how reduced my batsmen's shot power was. then when i bowled to them, having blown them away in the first innings and on a pitch with heavy cracks, my bowlers were just not effective at all.

i've jacked up all players in the SAB XI and South Africa XI to 100/100 for cardio & muscle, and will see how it goes in the next match, a 4-day 'test'. if it's still broken i'll abandon the tour till the next patch hopefully fixes it and play the 1987 World Cup!

yep. just played days 2 and 3 of my 3 day tour match in the rebel tour i'm doing... as you say broken. batting you have the AI bowling absolute filth - i got 73 extras in the innings, and that was despite several times i rage quit and went back in when i got like 5 wides 3 times in a row. if i took everything they offered i'd have had 100+ extras in the innings. also batting i could feel how reduced my batsmen's shot power was. then when i bowled to them, having blown them away in the first innings and on a pitch with heavy cracks, my bowlers were just not effective at all.

i've jacked up all players in the SAB XI and South Africa XI to 100/100 for cardio & muscle, and will see how it goes in the next match, a 4-day 'test'. if it's still broken i'll abandon the tour till the next patch hopefully fixes it and play the 1987 World Cup!

You can't play much on "Hard" pitches as the AI bowlers bowl a bunch of 5 wides or 4 byes. You see so many bouncers evading wkt keeper that you want AI to bowl fuller. And somehow AI bowlers are wired to bowl wides (leg and off side) every other over. No matter the rating of a bowler, AI bowler will concede wides. This killer combo of byes, wides along with lazy AI fielding where 1s and 2s can be had for fun makes longer formats tough to play.

As for batsman's shot power, IMO it has a lot to do with how various shots are calibrated in the game. You see late cuts and flicks/leg glances reach boundary but off drive will somehow dribble to mid off or extra cover region. If you increase the "Shot Power" slider so you can hit off drives to the boundary, the other shots are way too over-powered. If you keep things as they are or reduce the shot power so as not to hit boundaries in the Square Leg/Mid Wkt and Square Gully areas easily, you find it extremely difficult to off drive for a 4. Quite a tough call IMO in how to balance the game and hopefully Big Ant can do so in patch 3.

Hey guys just a quick question, I've created a player, but can't seem to find out how to add them to a squad.

For example, I've made my player, and want to add him to the Melbourne Stars squad, etc.

Anyone got any suggestions? As I couldn't seem to find my player when going in and trying to 'Add Players' to a team.

are you searching for all players or just in the australian t20 clash?

When you add players to a squad the search will always default to the competition that team is in, this case the aussie t20 clash.

STATS LOOKING , REQUIRE IN DB17

upload_2016-12-30_9-6-20.png

upload_2016-12-30_9-6-55.png

upload_2016-12-30_9-7-50.png

upload_2016-12-30_9-8-36.png

Bit frustrating that i get ideal in all of the batting markers yet always edge it in career mode. I would have thought batting would be easier in club cricket then getting progressively harder as you advance through.

How long did it take everyone else to get promoted from your club team?

I have played a couple of seasons in the career mode and what I feel is that off side shots for a RHB are extremely unreliable and unpredictable. While the flick to square leg or mid wicket is much more fruitful if you want to score runs and quickly. Playing to the offside particularly against spinners is almost suicidal as you are bound to edge one sooner rather than later. I do Mia the beautiful cover drive and square drive from DBC 14. Also the pull and cut are really underwhelming here. So, in my opinion if you want runs your most secure option is scoring on the leg side but that does make batting pretty monotonous.

Played few T20 matches. Most of the times, AI try to hit four or six of the last ball. Which happened to me 8 out of 10 times which is kind of predictable and they don't miss hit too. I see they that AI tries to maintain 8 runs per over. Playing in Pro difficulty.

You can't play much on "Hard" pitches as the AI bowlers bowl a bunch of 5 wides or 4 byes. You see so many bouncers evading wkt keeper that you want AI to bowl fuller. And somehow AI bowlers are wired to bowl wides (leg and off side) every other over. No matter the rating of a bowler, AI bowler will concede wides. This killer combo of byes, wides along with lazy AI fielding where 1s and 2s can be had for fun makes longer formats tough to play.

As for batsman's shot power, IMO it has a lot to do with how various shots are calibrated in the game. You see late cuts and flicks/leg glances reach boundary but off drive will somehow dribble to mid off or extra cover region. If you increase the "Shot Power" slider so you can hit off drives to the boundary, the other shots are way too over-powered. If you keep things as they are or reduce the shot power so as not to hit boundaries in the Square Leg/Mid Wkt and Square Gully areas easily, you find it extremely difficult to off drive for a 4. Quite a tough call IMO in how to balance the game and hopefully Big Ant can do so in patch 3.

Straight batted shots has allways been less powerfull in DBC14 as well . But I think it needs to be re-balanced . One cannot allways end up playing everything cross batted just because there`s more power to be had . I was a Compulsive Driver of the ball in RL , but in the game I have to bat differently to be maximum effective , and as you said , if you hit the "Boundary ball" straight , the fielders will set off trying to cut the ball off , and it will eventually just trickle over the fence .

The Square Cut Shot , and front foot pull/leg glance shots are basically the 2 x go to shots in Online Pro20 mode , and this is a tad sad . I`ve mentioned it in another thread , but I had a match where this was the only two shots the opponent played , and I could bowl any length/speed , and he connected with 95 % of all the ball just with these two shots. Just didnt feel like proper cricket to be dead honest . Tried as I might , there was no way through these two shots...

The only stats I cared about in DBC 14 were the career ones. I must have spent hours poring over my career player's stats admiring the no. of 100s, 50s, Not Outs, HS Score and Averages and figuring out what I needed to do in the upcoming series to ensure the average creeps slightly higher (say 51 from the current 50.57). There were times I declared the innings or ran out my team-mates so I could reach my personal targets and remain unbeaten ;)

The in-depth stats need to be made available in DBC 17 else statistically inclined folks, to put it mildly, won't find career mode that appealing. Cricket, like baseball, is as much about stats as it is about gameplay and watered down stats (e.g., only showing total no. of runs & wkts without the breakups with 50s, 100s, Average, HS Score, Not Outs etc.) will take away fun and immersion from the career mode..

100% agree with you @cricket_online regarding the career stats in Career Mode.

I don't like to be a negative nancy about DBC17, but this is one aspect that already has me returned to DBC14's career mode. I'm devoted to accumulating and progressing my players career stats. I just recently notched my best First Class HS of 264* in Shield cricket, my First Class average is only about 30-ish... I struggled early in my career... but I'm starting to put together plenty of centuries (on Pro difficulty) and scoring plenty of runs in all formats... I'm on the road to redemption here and even got picked for my first ODI series not long ago (even though I blew it with the bat). This is a narrative I care deeply about and its my career player's stats telling me this story in DBC14. But I can't get that kind of narrative playing Career Mode in DBC17 right now, but hopefully soon this gets sorted in an update.

@blockerdave can confirm that boosting cardio and muscle fitness to max in the skills and attributes section does indeed alter the stamina bar behavior, so much so that currently my opening bowlers are only losing 1% stamina for each over, haven't finished the test match yet, but going off of my previous 3 test match's played against england there is definitely a "stamina regeneration system" for the previously not re-skilled players, that works! It depends on how the players have been skilled in both muscle and cardio fitness.

My guess is one of the two stamina attributes affects "cost of action" (sprinting between wickets / bowling) and the other is "stamina recovery time" (how quickly stamina regenerates over time).

With that being said, I believe that most of the players cardio and muscle attributes need re-skilling in the range of 75-95, anything below or above those values seem to me to be very unrealistic! not broken...

EDIT: after some further "friggin" i've settled on around 72-80 for cardio and muscle attributes, This seems to be a good balance. Keep in mind stamina regenerates when bowlers aren't bowling during an innings alternatively when batters aren't batting, but not if you simulate. So basically whatever the stamina of your players is at the close of an innings batting or bowling will carry on to the next innings. Sounds like a lot of thought has been put into it, such a shame people can't figure things out for themselves but continue to cry out on a whim! Or have the audacity to continue blaming the game!

Last edited:
but not if you simulate. So basically whatever the stamina of your players is at the close of an innings batting or bowling will carry on to the next innings.

Isn't that the problem people are talking about though? Whether you simulate or not, the game knows how many minutes have passed on the in-game clock or how many balls a player has faced/bowled and should presumably be able to let him recover or tire him out accordingly before he's next called into action? I'm only following this from the outside at the moment so I might have misunderstood.

hi all - my game crashes now when i try to play a casual game - i have downloaded lots of grounds and teams etc - is there a fix to this or delete all my data? i have a career mode going into 3rd season so reluctant to delete my data

Isn't that the problem people are talking about though? Whether you simulate or not, the game knows how many minutes have passed on the in-game clock or how many balls a player has faced/bowled and should presumably be able to let him recover or tire him out accordingly before he's next called into action? I'm only following this from the outside at the moment so I might have misunderstood.

From my understanding the players that have been created are not skilled correctly in the muscle and cardio attributes, hence the players aren't regenerating there stamina quickly enough. But also I'm not sure if some people were aware of the "simulation anomaly" namely @cricket_online and @blockerdave . Which may have led them to the conclusion that the "stamina regeneration" is broken, and advocating that they think it is. But it's not...

The thing I like about the "stamina regeneration" is that it takes into account how much work a bowler or batter has done in an innings and applies to the following innings, the only hiccup being the "simulation anomaly" or "muscle and cardio" attributes not being skilled correctly, hence the illusion.

Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to this DBC. Both 14 as well as 17.

I would like to know if there is a way where we can prepare a spinning track in MS's way?

Spin from ball 1. I am not understanding on how the Weather and Conditions options and the pitches cracks and outfield options affect the nature of the game. Is it of any use?

Can someone guide me in it?

Users who are viewing this thread