Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Has someone in Year 10, or finished school, done the practical science coursework on how changing the concentration of sodium thiosulphate affects the rate of reaction?

I'm trying to do it today and get my homework out of the way as I'm going on holiday in a couple of days, but I'm stuck. Can anyone help me with what to write on the background research bit?

I did that two years ago. I think I did background research on collision theory, Although I can barely remember it so that could have been for Biology.

I did that and got full marks on the coursework ! What help do you want ?

Everything I've heard you do you got full marks in. :p

I'm clueless as to what to write on the Background Research section.

Ok. I started off with the equation. Then a brief overview of what I'm going to do. Then I talked about the various factors that affect the rate of a reaction and talked about each - temperature, surface area, catalyst, pressure, concentration. Finally concluding that I'll investigate what effect changing the concentration will have on the rate.

That's it for background info.

Ok. I started off with the equation. Then a brief overview of what I'm going to do. Then I talked about the various factors that affect the rate of a reaction and talked about each - temperature, surface area, catalyst, pressure, concentration. Finally concluding that I'll investigate what effect changing the concentration will have on the rate.

That's it for background info.

Ok, I've touched on most of this so far, but, what do you mean by Catalyst, Pressure and Concentration?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by Surface Area either. The volume of the beaker?

How the different concentrations will effect the results, the level and concentration and if your using a catalyst which will effect on the pressure of the reaction.

Ok, I've touched on most of this so far, but, what do you mean by Catalyst, Pressure and Concentration?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by Surface Area either. The volume of the beaker?
I'm not talking about this reaction specifically, but just mentioning that a catalyst, increasing pressure, temperature and surface area will increase the rate of a general chemical reaction, and why.

Good luck with those...i get some science results also...

I dont do exams. Iam in year 12, just can't wait to get the hell outta there really:)

Surely you have some form of GCSE's in Aus?

Surely you have some form of GCSE's in Aus?

Yeah its called TEE (Tertiary Entry Education) and you only do them if you want to go to Uni or College (whatever you call it).

But I don't want to go to Uni so I don't do them!

Anyways, I have just been doing my English assignment on print advertising and Ive finally finished - I don't expect people to read or understand it because they are answers to questions on another sheet. But thats how long an assignment for a year 12 student from WA is lol and I had the highest level on my exam in my class (Not the school). Oh yeah, wait, I do have to do one exam but thats for English only.
English - Values in Print Advertising
Task 1 - Class Activities

Inline Skate Australia

Q.1 The target audience for the magazine is probably teenagers, male and female who enjoy riding rollerblades.

Q.2 I think this magazine would sell Rollerblades and other skating items, I think this just by looking at the person on the front cover and seeing the name of the magazine.

Q.3 The advertisements that would fit well for this magazine would be ones that appeal to teenagers. For example, ads that feature surf brands, skating products, teenager clothes.

Ads on back of Inline Magazine Cover

Q.1 Yes, the advertisements are effective becase each product uses eye catching visuals that relate to the product being advertised.

Q.2 The deoderant ad is targeting women and young ladies who are interested in smelling good. The Billabong ad is targeting teenage boys and young surfy blokes. The Grommets surfboards ad is targeting males and females who are really into surboards, or surfing.

Q.3 a) The words used in these advertisments target the intended audience by using words and font ( or stye of writing) and phrases that are common with the people who use the products/services in the ad.

b) The Billabong didn't contain words because teenage boys, when looking through magazines, just look for the pictures. They will see the brand Billabong and think that since it is a well known brand then thats all they need. The product they can see with their eyes - they dont need a detailed ad with informative writing

Q.4 The pictures target the audience by using images that relate to the targets intrests. For example, the Billabong ad has images of guys reading magazines and wearing surf clothes - just like any guy teenager would. Whilst the deoderant ad contains images of women looking elegant - which is what most women want to look like.

Q.5 Its obvious why theses advertisers chose these magazines to advertise their products in these ads - because teenage girls who read Girlfriend are intrerested in smelling nice and guys who read Surfing Life would like looking good in Billabong clothes and surf boards.

Q.6 These advertisements wouldn't be as effective if they were in Women's Weekly because surfing wouldn't appeal to nosey mothers! But the deoderant ad would because any woman from any age is interested in smelling nice.

Sunglasses - For Ladies and Gentleman

Q.1 I think that the advertisement is effective because of it's simplicity and easy language. The ad has a simple graphic and a simple slogan - and I consider it sucessful because it gets the reader to actually think and not just look and read the informative writing like on other advertisements.

Keep Australia Beautiful, eh?

Q.1 Some images and text that is identiable as Australian are the ",eh?" on the end of the text, the Aussie bloke and the type of clothes he is wearing and the fact it looks like he is in the outback.

Q.2 The ideas being presented here are that Australia is a very nice and clean country but its being ruined by Aussies being disrepectful to it and not respecting it, this ad is trying to make Aussies stand up and so something about it and make keep Australia beautiful.

Q.3 a) If I was trying to protray this message in England I would use symbols and images that relate to English people. For example instead of a guy in outback attire, I would probably use a soccer bloke puting a wrapper for a food item in the bin, and use a slogan that went a little something like this " C'mon mate, keep the county clean yeah?".

b) The language in this advertisement is vey simple and basic Aussie languange that would be very easy to interpret if you were an Aussie.The thing that makes it Aussie is the "eh?" on the end of the slogan and the fact the guy is throwing rubbish in a bin is sort of using persuasive language.

Dalley's Magical Pain Extraction

Q.1 This ad would face legal issues because it doesn't explain what the item actually doesn't actually say what it cures? Or what the product actually does. It is a very dodgy looking product as it is made to look out to be a "Magical Ointment" and a "Pain Extractor" but there is no fact behind it and there is no detail Legal issues would arise if a sick person with a disease is dying and they take the pain extractor and it doesn't work and the person gets sick and even worse.

Task 2 - Rationale
"Serengeti Eyewear"

Ad Redesign

I have redesigned my ad so that it represents something that would have been used in the mid 1900s, for eyewear. In the original ad there is a man wearing glasses, looking elegant, this is what most guys want - a good pair of sunnies that look good. But they haven't left out the informative stuff as they have written down the bottom, the features of the ad. I have used simple pictures that make out that the glasses can be used to protect your eyes and that they are the "best" without having to back up this information with facts - this is because back then you didnt have to justify such ridicolous claims. But if you said that today then you would have to justify why they are the best eye protection with scientific fact. This is another example of how values have changed.

If this ad was released in the mid 1990s then it would probably put more emphasis on the facts and how they protect your eyes - rather then just the look factor. This is because back then there was the value of just protecting you vision and the only point was protection - not looks. The original ad has a man who is looking good whilst wearing these glasses, this is what most guys want when they look in the shops for a pair of sunnies, whereas back in the day many people just bought sunnies for the simple fact that they had to cover there eyes - this is a classic example of how values and attidues have influenced how companies advertise nowadays.

Well school starts tomorrow which I think is far too early!
I've got a year 2 class this year (which is 6/7 year olds for non-British people). Staff are back tomorrow and kids on wednesday.

Haha, how can you manage to do that! I would bloody kill myself if I had to manage 25 little brats:p I just have no patience probably!

Users who are viewing this thread