England in Australia

Bit optimistic asking for a win for you guys :) Your chance was yesterday, today it was always Aus win or draw.

I didn't expect this at all. :eek: England are on their way of losing this match. I thought this match would go into a draw. Already four (!) wickets have been lost today. Flintoff is the latest casualty.

Good bowling by Lee to keep tempting Flintoff with those sucker wide balls, Freddy just couldn't resist in the end. Hopefully he now changes tactic as Collingwood will leave those all day long.

Finally Collingwood scored after 50 minutes. And then with a boundary. England should try to get 2-3 singles in an over. Not play like this.

I decided to come up and actually post because it's something that has bugged me all day.

The management including Freddie as captain have to take full responsibility for the current situation. Not one player seems to have known what to do today. Australia even when a long way behind all came out and in different ways basically said, "We can win this."

England on the other hand have come out today with only one intention, to bat 90 overs. Even if that was their intention they should have made it clear that if they were in a good position with a session and a half to go, they would try and bowl Australia out. Instead they've spent since yesterday essentially saying to the Aussies - We don't think we can bowl you out, you're in the driving seat.

That entire attitude has rubbed off on the batsman, some of the shots played have been appaling, and the mindset seems to have been just stay at the crease which has in turn led to some very bad running between the wickets.

End of the day, England have now lost 4 wickets today, none of which can really be put down to jaffas or wicket taking deliveries. Going back to a very similar pitch in Pakistan, again with just a bit of rough, and again with a leg-spinner and very fast bowler operating on a 5th day pitch, our batsman contrived to give away their wickets time and again, here, in Australia, and it seems nothing has changed.

I guess the most depressing fact from all of this, is that it will further convince the England camp that they need to have Giles in the team for his batting, when after all that, a couple more wickets a bit cheaper would mean England would be declaring around now, or even last night.

*There are people coming on the ground and they think its all over*
Good performance in this session from Australia.
Flintoff gave his wicket away and England will have to muster up whatever they can and try unlikely bowl Australia out.
Australia will just have to keep going and the test match like Mark Taylor says on Sky "could be over before tea" depending on how Australia bowl and Hayden and Langer bat

That's one of the massive problems for England Rob. Warne has come out and looked every bit the world class spinner that he is, Giles however looked about as threatening as a hamster with no teeth that's nailed to a tree all of about 3 hours ago in match play time.

If we succumb, which now looks incredibly likely, with Flintoff possibly not fit to bowl, and only a nights rest for our quicks that have spent 2 days in the field already, I can assure you this pitch will look like the absolute belter that it still is.

Jones and Giles are picked for their batting, the situation in this match now demands that they prove that at the very least, this part of their game is in order. If not, then Fletchers perceived mistakes become a rather depressing reality.

Time for me to head downstairs again, for what is going to be a rather tense next few hours!

When we lose this test and Giles fails with bat and ball I hope that will make Fletcher come to his senses.
If Monty was playing and he mimicked Warne with 150 runs on the board then we may have a chance but we have Giles who like you said Jeremy is about as useful as a part time bowler.
The writing is just about on the wall.
With that I am going to bed

Last edited:
Collingwood is still there which should give the English some hope of drawing this but oh boy they are going to have a tough time surviving to tea if they just defend. If they attack they will have much more success.

Great catch by Hayden to dismiss Jones, wasn't a great ball from Lee though.

This is becoming so predictable. England wants to defend and eventually will lose the match, since they don't have enough runs. :rolleyes:

Lol the so called "extra batters" haven't done much apart from give Hayden 2 catches :)
Great bowling by Warne truely masterful work from the Great one.

We can win this. :cool:

Just so nobody deletes this; Australia always struggle with small totals. Here we go.

I feel sorry for the English people who are sleeping right now, thinking this match would end in a draw, and that's why they didn't watch. :laugh

But if Australia wins, there won't be much fun to follow the series, since the tension whoever will win the Ashes, will be lessened.

Users who are viewing this thread