England in Australia

It's quite funny that Monty has been nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Fletcher is so blind that he picks Giles ahead of the only cricketer to be nominated for Sports Personality of the Year this year.

You can just imagine what happens if Monty wins the award this Sunday. It'll be the early hours of Monday morning in Perth. Fletch hears some noise coming from Monty's room. Fletch knocks on the door and asks Monty what he's doing. Monty tells him that he's busy winning the sports personality of the year award and asks if there is any chance of a game in the third test. Fletch tells him that he needs to improve.

andrew_nixon said:
It's quite funny that Monty has been nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Fletcher is so blind that he picks Giles ahead of the only cricketer to be nominated for Sports Personality of the Year this year.

You can just imagine what happens if Monty wins the award this Sunday. It'll be the early hours of Monday morning in Perth. Fletch hears some noise coming from Monty's room. Fletch knocks on the door and asks Monty what he's doing. Monty tells him that he's busy winning the sports personality of the year award and asks if there is any chance of a game in the third test. Fletch tells him that he needs to improve.

Funny :p

However I would expect better from you Andrew. You must surely know that if Flintoff had wanted Panesar then Panesar would be playing, yet you always attack Fletcher and not Flintoff for the decisions made. Freddie has throughout his short captaincy career managed Monty badly, and it's fairly obvious he considers Giles the more sensible choice.

Oh and is there currently a better batsman in world cricket to have coming in or at the crease when there is a collapse than Hussey?

Last edited:
irottev said:
Who would you say, judged on the last 2 tests has been a bigger asset to the side? Anderson or Giles?

By the way, no need to jump on my back. I am totally in the camp that Giles is friggin useless. But given what we have seen from the other english bowlers, do they deserve their places more?

No I said his batting its always been rubbish he's in the side for batting right?

well hes doing crap at it thats why im saying chuck him out its not a good enough excuse to have him in.

and angy im saying replace Giles with Panesar if we must have a spinner brw spinners didnt do much only a great like Warne pulled of what he did today because he knows how to use rough how to trick and neither Panesar or Giles know how to do that.

puddleduck said:

However I would expect better from you Andrew. You must surely know that if Flintoff had wanted Panesar then Panesar would be playing, yet you always attack Fletcher and not Flintoff for the decisions made. Freddie has throughout his short captaincy career managed Monty badly, and it's fairly obvious he considers Giles the more sensible choice.

Come on I think Andrews right Fletchers wrong even in the after match interveiw Fletcher didnt know what to say when Athers asked him why not Monty?

Also you cant blame Freddie I think the pressure for a player like him is too much, unlike Strauss who normally stays calm because he is a batsman and has a good cricketing brain doesnt need to bowl and bat...and that to aggresivly like Flintoff so I dont think Freddie should be blamed!

There is so much I want to say here, I doubt I will remember to put it all in.

Firstly - Ashley Giles, cant bowl, cant field. That means he must be in the team for his batting, ahead of Monty Panesar, who is rated by English ex players and media experts as our best attacking spinner since Derek Underwood.

Secondly - Freddie. Is the Botham effect taking hold? World class allrounder with too much on his shoulders. Strauss captained magnificently against Pakistan he should have been allowed to continue to let Fred get back to full fitness and form without distraction.

Thirdly - Harmy. Short of bowling they said, he just needs more bowling they said. Really? In that case why in two innings did he only bowl 29 overs. Giles bowled 52, Freddie 35 and Hoggy 46. Only Anderson with 25 bowled less. How do you undermine an opening bowlers fragile confidence? Dont give him some overs at the end of the day with a fresh red new cherry, that is the answer!

Fourth - Geraint Jones. 1 and 10 from our 'premier' wicketkeeper batsman. James Foster had a similar test batting record when he was 21/22 and he has approved out of sight since then. Also, Chris Read, remember him from last summer smashing the odd 30, 40 and 50 against Pakistan Enough said.

Last but not least - Duncan Fletcher. Where does he get his team selections from? It seems to me like he is trying to recapture past glories rather than selecting on form, ie Read and Monty. I think he has been fantastic for English cricket over the last number of years but this blatant favouritism for players who are out of form and in some cases out of cricket for a year has got under my skin.

If ever there was a morale boost for the Aussies in the first test it must have been the sight of A Giles on the team sheet!

Right spleen vented, time to do some work!

puddleduck said:
With Flintoff being a stand in captain, Fletcher has much more of a say. Plus Fletcher has been picking Giles for so long, despite a slew of poor performances, so it's much more likely that Fletch is picking him.

I'd keep Jones, he looks quite solid behind the stumps and has done well close to the stumps with Hoggard bowling. Much improved from last year. His 2 innings in this match were both due to stupid shots where the deliveries were well outside off stump, all he needs to do is maintain concentration and don't make the mistake again.

I'd keep Harmison also, he can bowl these rare spells where he can pick up a match winning 5 wicket haul. If the WACA pitch is fast, pacy and hard I have a feeling Harmison can pick up a five for or at least a few wickets. Mahmood should be the one to replace Anderson due to his extra added bounce, I would usually choose Plunkett but he is seriously short of match practice.

puddleduck said:

Oh and is there currently a better batsman in world cricket to have coming in or at the crease when there is a collapse than Hussey?

The captain may have an input but to me its the selectors and the coach whom have the ultimate say for the final lineup. I remember reading from an article before the Ashes that Flintoff would like to see Panesar in the lineup so I feel that Fletcher made the decision to pick Giles ahead of Monty.

Agreed Hussey is the most reliable batsman in world cricket, he's got technique, temprament, concentration, agility, basically everything. England though do have Collingwood who is not as great as Hussey but is still reliable in difficult situations.

Punk Sk8r said:
Come on I think Andrews right Fletchers wrong even in the after match interveiw Fletcher didnt know what to say when Athers asked him why not Monty?

Surely that suggest I am right then. That he possibly favoured Monty (afterall he did pick him for every warmup game) but that Freddie wanted to go with Giles for the protection?

Also you cant blame Freddie I think the pressure for a player like him is too much, unlike Strauss who normally stays calm because he is a batsman and has a good cricketing brain doesnt need to bowl and bat...and that to aggresivly like Flintoff so I dont think Freddie should be blamed!

That's just the standard response from everyone and has been since the India tour. "It's Freddie, he's a legend therefore he is immune to critisism". Unfortunately that has never been enough for me, yes he is a fantastic player, but as captain he has been poor, and where Fletcher has definately got it wrong is in going with Freddie as captain. Freddie can inspire the team, and will always do so, but you don't need to make him captain to do so.

On top of that, he is a very defensive captain, and panics the moment the pressure is on, he is never entirely sure when to bowl himself, and when he was in charge of Monty the fact is he completely misused him. I don't think it's unfair to point that out, and unlike yourself, and unfortunately just about every cricketing pundit in the world, I won't just bury my head under the sand and pretend that Freddie is an excellent captain.

He is a leader yes, but whilst in Football a leader is all you need, in cricket you need a little bit more than that, and he can still inspire and lead with his performances.

andrew_nixon said:
With Flintoff being a stand in captain, Fletcher has much more of a say. Plus Fletcher has been picking Giles for so long, despite a slew of poor performances, so it's much more likely that Fletch is picking him.

These days on Englands tours I don't believe that's the case at all. Had Flintoff asked for Panesar or made it clear that he wanted him ahead of Giles or Anderson, he would have got Panesar. It's as simple as that.

People talking about the selectors, there are no selectors on England tours, they pick the squad, but it's then down to the coach and captain to pick the side.

Giles is definately a liability as Ive said several times a defensive option.Giles apart though ,I thought that England batters apart from Collingwood needed to show some responsibility specially batters 2 and 3.Id make a bold move and make changes in both batting and bowling,Joyce for Cook,Mahmood for Harmison\Anderson,and I dont have to tell you the last change.Harmison's progress curve though seems amazingly similar to Pathan's bowling pattern?

MUFC1987 said:
Using my years of Umpire training and experiences on the pitch, I would have given it not out, as it hit him above the knee roll and he's 6'4'' tall. I mean it's hardly marginal is it?
Don't blame teh umpire they're only human they will make mistakes, it's all part of the game. Some could argue ashes 2005 decisions could have affected the outcome of the series.

andrew_nixon said:

Doesn't look set to change quickly -

"As we've said on numerous occasions, we want to bat to eight and we think Ashley can do a better job with that," he said.

"We wanted to play two spinners here but in that warm-up game against South Australia the seamers seemed to do a better job than the spinner.

"When you consider Warne is a very good wrist-spinner and he took 86 overs to take five wickets - that summed it up." (BBC website) - Fletcher

Batting to eight hasn't helped us. The fact that he said that shows the faith he has in the top 7 - not much. If Giles doesn't go and Strauss doesn't take over the captaincy, this could be 5-0 easily.

The fact that Jones was out to two stupid shots is in no way reassuring. Saying he must maintain his concentration is like saying go out and score a century...........its easier said than done. His problem is that he cant maintain his concentration!

As for 'he is solid behind the stumps', are we now picking him for his keeping and not his batting? That seems like a bit of a turnaround for me!

As for Harmy, he does not need rested/dropped. He needs to be given the new ball first up and for his manager and captain to show faith in his ability.

As for Giles.......there is a pasture somewhere with his name on it!

you know england is in trouble when the start selecting bowlers for their batting :p

tell ya what, bad match for panesar to miss, he would of loved that finish

In my opinion the umpiring has been of a high standard, in this ashes and the last one.

I don't think any team could have any complaints.

It's too late now, but Flintoff was a bad move for captaincy. Strauss was much better. He seems a lot smarter.

puddleduck said:
That's just the standard response from everyone and has been since the India tour. "It's Freddie, he's a legend therefore he is immune to critisism". Unfortunately that has never been enough for me, yes he is a fantastic player, but as captain he has been poor, and where Fletcher has definately got it wrong is in going with Freddie as captain. Freddie can inspire the team, and will always do so, but you don't need to make him captain to do so.

On top of that, he is a very defensive captain, and panics the moment the pressure is on, he is never entirely sure when to bowl himself, and when he was in charge of Monty the fact is he completely misused him. I don't think it's unfair to point that out, and unlike yourself, and unfortunately just about every cricketing pundit in the world, I won't just bury my head under the sand and pretend that Freddie is an excellent captain.

He is a leader yes, but whilst in Football a leader is all you need, in cricket you need a little bit more than that, and he can still inspire and lead with his performances.

Thats what I'm saying Freddie isnt the Capitan type player he cant do all them things he can only inspire with his performances alone he was so flexable last year like you could call on him and even if he didnt perform it didnt matter because the eye of the media wasnt on him because he wasnt Capitan, it also wasnt on Vaughn when he was playing poorly mainly because he had a good cricketing brain and did the right things!

wolf said:
How could they possibly win. They are 240 behind so to get far enough ahead they will need to bat to about lunch on the fifth, not enough time to bowl us out.

It's wrong for me to have a vein and obnoxious sense of smugness about this, but I can't say I never saw this defeat coming. The quoted post is one of a number that ridiculed me for suggesting that Aus would be the likely victors. The fact is, I knew we would have a distinct possibility of losing because us including a left-arm pie-thrower as opposed to a spinner would come back to haunt us.

"Good old Collingwood Forever" as the old song goes, and if it weren't for him and Hoggard, we'd have been nowhere.

Who got man of the match by the way? Colly surely?

irottev said:
It's too late now, but Flintoff was a bad move for captaincy. Strauss was much better. He seems a lot smarter.

Same here, the Fred captaincy is one of a number of idiotic Fletcher decisions of recent times. To be fair though, thh selectors had something to do with it as well I think.

Users who are viewing this thread