England in Australia

manee said:
I think it is just about acceptable to drop Monty for the first test, since there was every chance of England winning; and Giles being an integral part. But if Monty gets not picked in the second test Fletcher deserves the sack.

As soon as we dropped Monty for Brisbane we threw away what chance we had, he was our form bowler for goodness sake (not at you at Fletch).

Well choosing Giles was a mistake, he did not have match practice and did not play for a while due to injury.

You're literally saying that we have more faith in Giles than Monty, and that won't do him any good. It'll be nice to see MOnty play in the second test, he's a promising spinner.

Apart from Hoggard and Flintoff, the rest of the pace bowling options are not good. Hamirson will need some miracle, and i don't think Australia will let him loose. May be Sajid Mohammad will get a nod, ahead of Anderson?

Batting is not much of a worry, they're in okay form and they'll need two-three players clicking at the same time.

Sureshot said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6190632.stm

The 2nd case of it so far, although I don't know whether I'd say CA have a zero tolerance on racism when Sutherland said what Monty recieved wasn't racist. It's a shame when you hear players say "We'll just have to put up with it".
Weak. "You'll never be English" isn't racist, ffs the Barmy Army called us convicts, that's about as racist as "You'll never be English". Did we whinge and complain? No, we got on with the god damn game like we should. We didn't try and deflect from a crap performance. First the "Stupid Indian" storm in a teacup, now this, someone tell England to harden up for crying out loud.

No it's not. "You'll never be English" is not the same as calling aussies convicts.
The first singles out one player for being different because of the colour of his skin and the second isn't aimed at anyone person in particular and isn't dependent on physical characteristics.
The fact you claim not to understand why "you'll never be English" is racist and blame the reaction on whinging shows a concerning lack of awareness that I hope other Australian cricket fans do not share.

First things first. The fact that Australia have not added MacGill is no indication of the pitch. The chairman of selectors basically said that they wouldn't play MacGill without Watson there to provide a third seam option. This leaves me to believe that the pitch may well turn.

Anyways, on to the team that can win us the second test. Simple in my opinion. The batting looked stronger as the First test progressed and we have very little scope for change so there is no point in tinkering. Therefore the bowling is the problem. Panesar should play, no matter what in my opinion. He may fall flat on his face, but we need to look at him. If it turns, play Giles as well, if it doesn't unleash Saj. Anderson is too much like Hoggard so we lack variation and if the conditions don't help, he'll struggle. So:

Cook
Strauss
Bell
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Giles/Mahmood
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar.

barmyarmy said:
No it's not. "You'll never be English" is not the same as calling aussies convicts.
The first singles out one player for being different because of the colour of his skin and the second isn't aimed at anyone person in particular and isn't dependent on physical characteristics.
The fact you claim not to understand why "you'll never be English" is racist and blame the reaction on whinging shows a concerning lack of awareness that I hope other Australian cricket fans do not share.
Them calling us convicts is based on our countries history yes? So they're saying something based on what country we are from, that's racist if "You'll never be English" is. This is A Grade deflection trying to draw attention away from their pitiful performance in the 1st Test.

MUFC1987 said:
First things first. The fact that Australia have not added MacGill is no indication of the pitch. The chairman of selectors basically said that they wouldn't play MacGill without Watson there to provide a third seam option. This leaves me to believe that the pitch may well turn.

Anyways, on to the team that can win us the second test. Simple in my opinion. The batting looked stronger as the First test progressed and we have very little scope for change so there is no point in tinkering. Therefore the bowling is the problem. Panesar should play, no matter what in my opinion. He may fall flat on his face, but we need to look at him. If it turns, play Giles as well, if it doesn't unleash Saj. Anderson is too much like Hoggard so we lack variation and if the conditions don't help, he'll struggle. So:

Cook
Strauss
Bell
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Giles/Mahmood
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar.

Thats a good team, Mahmood I've been hearing can reverse it so he will have another way to bowl the Aussies out which is what you need on flat trackers. Although I'm pretty sure Fletcher will pick Giles even if it's not turning.

Sureshot said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6190632.stm

The 2nd case of it so far, although I don't know whether I'd say CA have a zero tolerance on racism when Sutherland said what Monty recieved wasn't racist. It's a shame when you hear players say "We'll just have to put up with it".

Well Monty's case wasn't even racisim anywy. A guy in my cricket team was in the NSW bay that was targeted for being racist against Panesar and they said nothing about talking in Indian or whatever. They just merely asked Monty to give them a wave and he just proceeded by standing their with his hands on his hips and in the end he ended up looking like a nervous idiot especially when they asked Pietersen to give them a wave and he actually did it!

Duncan Fletcher has called Warney "easy pickings". The man is a tool, seriously, does he think before he speaks?

Agreed Scmods. Warne would arguably be one of the greastest bowlers of all time. To call him "easy pickings" is a joke. Last time I checked he got 40 wickets in the last Ashes series.

The guy just wants media attention I guess.

I have to agree Warne was all over us last series.
We have played hm well on his favorite ground which is a good sign for the series but that is just stupid.
He should be sacked the way he's going at the moment.

We've done better against Warne in this series so far though. Yes, he took four wickets, but two of those (Flintoff & Collingwood) were due to use having a swipe at him which is always bad news.

On the Panesar front, I read that the quote was "You can't be English" which is a lot worse than whatever has been said as the quote in this topic.

Monty was called "a stupid Indian" and it was Saj who got "You can't be English".

Scmods said:
Weak. "You'll never be English" isn't racist, ffs the Barmy Army called us convicts, that's about as racist as "You'll never be English". Did we whinge and complain? No, we got on with the god damn game like we should. We didn't try and deflect from a crap performance. First the "Stupid Indian" storm in a teacup, now this, someone tell England to harden up for crying out loud.

Isn't racist? You do realise those fans are saying he's never going to be English because of the colour of his skin don't you?

It's got nothing to do with 'hardening up' racism is a big problem and when people like you don't acknowledge it's even racist it will be reported because it'll happen.

As for calling Aussies convicts, the first white people in Australia were convicts from a convict colony set up by the British empire, it was small, but that isn't racist, because we aren't calling you convicts because of your colour, we are (some, not me) because the first European settlers in Aus were.

Two different situations, Scmods.

Sureshot said:
Monty was called "a stupid Indian" and it was Saj who got "You can't be English".
Ah yes, it's obviously happening so often that I can't remember each situation. ;)

MUFC1987 said:
Ah yes, it's obviously happening so often that I can't remember each situation. ;)

Not to mention that the sheer baracade of racist abuse from the Australians means we can't play cricket to a high standard and as such surrendered the first test meakly :p ;)

*lights fire and slowly backs away whistling*

Users who are viewing this thread