England in Australia

Obviously it's not that easy to play Warne if it was he wouldn't have 600+ wickets and be one of the great bowlers ever. Some players play spin well like KP others like Bell don't so him going down the wicket ain't going to do much cause he'll probably get stumped, it has to be natural.

It's not Bells style either, he's not as aggressive as say Sachin (who has a similar build). He did alright against Kaneria, he might just be like Cullinan against Warne (not as bad though :D)

That's the reason why number 3 is the right position for Bell. I think no matter what he should be number 3.

If McGrath isn't fit for the Test, I would say pick Bracken but he isn't in the squad. He is a better bowler than Johnson and Tait. Between Tait and Johnson it should be Tait. I don't see how playing Tait and Lee is anymore of a risk than picking Johnson. All 3 can be taken for a few. Tait is on his home track and I think bowls plenty more wicket taking deliveries than Johnson.

Oh yeh, Bell is a No3 batsman of that I have no doubt. It's better that if he comes to face Warne he's made 30-40 than be in single figures.

Iron-Haggis said:
That's the reason why number 3 is the right position for Bell. I think no matter what he should be number 3.

If McGrath isn't fit for the Test, I would say pick Bracken but he isn't in the squad. He is a better bowler than Johnson and Tait. Between Tait and Johnson it should be Tait. I don't see how playing Tait and Lee is anymore of a risk than picking Johnson. All 3 can be taken for a few. Tait is on his home track and I think bowls plenty more wicket taking deliveries than Johnson.

I'd rather face Bracken than Tait that's for sure. Bracken just isn't quite good enough to get in the test team for me. He's a fantastic ODI bowler, but not up to test standards. Whereas Tait certainly has the talent and the pace!

Can't really comment on Johnson as I've hardly seen him bowl.

I'd add Johnson or Bracken just for the variation. There's no doubt that Tait fits the bill for Test cricket, but Strauss struggles against left-arm seamers.

To be fair Matt, I don't think the Aussies will be too worried about Strauss's problems against Lefties at the moment, bang it in and stick two men on the boundary, see you later Andrew.

puddleduck said:
To be fair Matt, I don't think the Aussies will be too worried about Strauss's problems against Lefties at the moment, bang it in and stick two men on the boundary, see you later Andrew.

I was thinking the same thing actually, but even with his daft shots in the first Test, he was still looking to cut away anything short and wide. If there is a left-armer who can bang it in short and bowl tight to Strauss, then it's goodnight Irene for him.

Yep, if he gets a score in this next test, then it could be worth them looking at a left-arm option. I think at the moment they will just attack him with the same plan. Afterall, he looked less than comfortable against Warne last time and he has yet to get far enough into his innings to show whether there has been any discernible improvement.

So 8 hours to go and it's not yet sure whether McGrath will play as Ricky has said he has to be 100% to play and he's got a blister on his heel atm. Looks like Monty will play and he better had play if we want to win this test.

The rumour is that Monty definetely will play, if McGrath does not make it, then I personally would go for Johnson. England players wouldn't be worried at all about playing Bracken, but Johnson looks a real find. I agree about the left-armer cutting off Strauss's cut shot. If that happens, where else will strauss play it. He will have to play the pull more meaning that with the troubles he had in the first test, it could be very tricky for him.

Sureshot said:
He can drive quite well also.
Interesting, I feel he's not that brilliant off the front foot, of course he's fantastic if you let him play off the back foot, but his front foot drives could be better.

I've just been watching all the Ashes videos on the BBC Sport site. Some great little clips they've got up of past Ashes. I especially enjoyed the 1981 Documentary. However quite early on when it's all going tits up for Beefy, all the things he seems to be saying in the interview resemble Freddie massively.

Fair enough they are from two different eras, but essentially I feel they are similar characters, and so many of the points raised as to why him captaining then was a bad idea seem to hold very true if talking about Freddie today.

As I said, the circumstances were mostly quite different, but some of the underlying points raised seem very valid indeed.

PhilD123 said:
Interesting, I feel he's not that brilliant off the front foot, of course he's fantastic if you let him play off the back foot, but his front foot drives could be better.

He scores loads through the cover regions, he's not as good at front foot driving as he is with cutting but he's still useful.

I've got McGrath in my FC team, I think he'll play although I'd rather I have only 10 in my team than he play :D

Users who are viewing this thread